Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Glitch Thread

Name a glitch off of the top of your head from the original 4 Doom Wads. I'll start.

MAP 24. There are two demons on this map in a secret sector behind the Nukage Fall Room, that because of their positions are stuck together.

MAP 20. In the room with the Plasma rifle if you are quick enough you can get stuck behind the wall where the cacodemons come from.

MAP 08 (Co-operative) If you fuck up the run to the exit you can't beat the level... (is there a fix for this in any port?)

It's impossible to get 100% secrets in MAP15 and MAP27 without cheating.
It's also impossible to get 100% items on MAP27 and MAP28 of Plutonia.

Gordon said:

It's impossible to get 100% secrets in MAP15 and MAP27 without cheating.
It's also impossible to get 100% items on MAP27 and MAP28 of Plutonia.

Those would be a good trivia/quiz questions.

In my doom iwad (dunno what version) while playing just a couple hours ago, a specter was stuck in the wall of the exit chamber to e1m6. Specters are also stuck in walls in map17 (red key room?) and map11 where you get the blue armor. Not sure those are actually glitches, tho.

On E3M9 you can make it so you cannot finish the level by closing the door to the beginning area and then ducking under it before it's closed, making it so you can't go back that way (and you have to to complete the map).

I think it's fixed in version 1.9, but not in 1.666, on map18 there is am missing texture on one of the metal containers that has a blur sphere (or is it the one with the soul sphere) inside.

MAP02 has a double glitch and a botched attempt to fix it. The sleeping sergeant on map02 was created by a typo in the code, but apparently someone noticed it and simply moved the map a few units in the editor, but forgot to move the things as well. So not only is the sleeping sergeant still there, there is now a "barrel in the wall" in the room adjacent to the blue key room.

It had been a running gag on zdoom forums to report this as a bug every few months but it quickly became stale. it still is mentioned very sparingly though, as a bit of a joke.

there are also missing textures on the concrete floor near the two holes, and still messes up gl ports.

EDIT: the last one is apparently fixed in gzdoom. woop woop.

Marnetmar said:

Didn't someone say there was a hidden line in E3M7, and if you crossed it the level would fuck up?

Nothing mentioned in the doom wiki?? Any idea where the linedef is?

there is now a "barrel in the wall" in the room adjacent to the blue key room.

I only just noticed that today lol. You can see it from the right hand hole in the floor looking at the door to the blue key.

Alphawolf said:

MAP 08 (Co-operative) If you fuck up the run to the exit you can't beat the level... (is there a fix for this in any port?)

There's a teleporter that opens up in one of the nearby rooms. I think it's the Imp / red key room.

EDIT: My bad, it's in the Caco room, first thing on the left. There's also a teleporter first thing on the right to take you to the Red Key room if you don't make it.

Alphawolf said:

Nope, once you start to go over the lowering platforms a teleporter opens up in the Cacodemon room which takes you to the exit.

EDIT: PRIMEVAL got to it before me. : (

Marnetmar said:

Didn't someone say there was a hidden line in E3M7, and if you crossed it the level would fuck up?

I think it's in E3M6.

Ahh now I see. Funny about the map 20 one though too, I was trapped in the room where the cacodemons come from (in the room with the plasma rifle). Me and my girlfriend was playing (her first time playing Map20 as well (and Doom)). I had to use Doom Builder 2 to follow where she was to help her finish the level lol haha.

All I said was that the flashing light at the end of the last room is what she was to run like hell for. (I also told her where the Soulsphere was in the room I was trapped was in preparation for the owning on UV she would have recieved without 200% health haha).

A lot of fun things can be found in older versions of the IWADs. For example, in Doom II v1.8 on MAP02 there's another "sleeping" seargeant stuck in a corner of the secret room located next to the red key (on the 2nd floor of the building outside). Also, the teleporter flat in that secret room is not aligned correctly. But that got fixed when the entire map was shifted in the next release.

The wiki has some of the version changes, but a more comprehensive document is here:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12482

Also, if you're really curious or just like playing the old IWADs for some reason, you can "revert" to a previous version with this tool:
http://doomgate.de/content/files/ladopato/index_en.html

I don't remember that, but it sounds like it might have been present only in 1.0, at least this is the closest match in that document:

Changes 1.0 -> 1.1 released 16-dec-93
E1M3:
- The switch to rise the slime "O" platform is inside this shape instead on a wall outside. 1 Sector was added for this change.

The earliest oddity I remember is the swastika in E1M4, but I don't know which direction the arms were facing, so it could have been either 1.1 or 1.2 (they removed/altered it entirely in 1.666).

Hoho, and it looks like 1.666 also added a new sound (Sphere power up), which explains why prboom was crashing with "W_GetNumForName: dsgetpow not found" when I tried to play the shareware 1.2 IWAD a couple days ago (despite -complevel 0).

Alphawolf said:

I know if you are playing in Skulltag in the Survival Cooperative game mode, the level geometry resets itself after all the players have died

I remember there's one glitch in Sunder map14. Ever watch okuplok90's run of this map(No cheating and TAS)? He got seriously hit by cyberdemons and leave him very low health. When he stands in a certain area, the revenants as well as cyberdemons doesn't attack him!

I forget which area this glitch happens at.

Isn't there a blind/sleeping demon in E2M7 past the first keyed door near the start of the level from that side of the room?

Mr. Chris said:

Isn't there a blind/sleeping demon in E2M7 past the first keyed door near the start of the level from that side of the room?

There are lots of in Doom.

E2M4, when you teleport you aren't seen by monsters.
E2M3, a blind Demon behind UAC door/
E2M7, a far away blind Demon in the crates room.

But they all act normally if you pass a specified line.

GoatLord said:

At one of the far corners of E1M8 (shareware only I believe), an HOM effect appears.

I think it will create some weird HOM showing a small part of the automap screen. Yeah Shareware only.

The German version of Doom 2 (designed to remove the Wolfenstein levels because they display swastikas) still contains some swastika images, e.g. the WOLF2 patch.

finnw said:

The German version of Doom 2 (designed to remove the Wolfenstein levels because they display swastikas) still contains some swastika images, e.g. the WOLF2 patch.

In fact, it is v1.666 with merely map31 and map32 removed. All sprites and textures are intact.

Csonicgo said:

there are also missing textures on the concrete floor near the two holes, and still messes up gl ports.

EDIT: the last one is apparently fixed in gzdoom. woop woop.

Also by Risen3D for ages.

While on map 02 ...

Linedef 491 - vertex 273 should have merged with vertex 269.

map 14 ...

Lines 429 and 430 missing upper textures.

map 19 ...

Line 636 is facing the wrong way - one sided line.

map 22...

Errors near the start where the 5 torches are.

map 27 ...

While highly unlikely, if the player activates the switch at line 10 without crossing any lines to open sector 67 and teleports to sector 65, the player is trapped.

map 30 ...

Icon of sin ... lines 30, 0 and 60 should have had a length of 256, not 264.

TNT Map 32 - If the player moves from sector 97 to sector 116, after activating the switch at line 872, and door sector 112 closes behind the player and then the player opens door sector again and re-enters sector 97 and door sector 112 closes again, the player is trapped.

PRIMEVAL said:

There's a teleporter that opens up in one of the nearby rooms. I think it's the Imp / red key room.

EDIT: My bad, it's in the Caco room, first thing on the left. There's also a teleporter first thing on the right to take you to the Red Key room if you don't make it.

Wow, I never knew that, thanks for the info. I always thought it was surprising to miss such a gamestopper bug.

I think once or twice I've got stuck in the raising teleport exit in Gotcha. I suspect it has something to do with running to the teleporter too fast.

I remember there was some glitch in Limbo with the teleporter houses and their doors, so that if you positioned yourself very carefully there, the screen would be filled with some incorrect texture or there was a HOM. Don't know if it happend with all of the houses or just one, if it was just one, then I think it was the first one you can see in the center of the large blood pool.

The very first SW1LION doors on MAP19 have their inner shafts (linedefs 286, 287 and 288) untextured. The doors' (sectors 155 and 229) ceilings and floors are both 8 units lower than the floor height of the previous room (sector 144 and also 226), and a nice Deep Water effect can be seen.
Have been on Wikipedia recently, and this isn't written.

hawkwind said:

map 27 ...

While highly unlikely, if the player activates the switch at line 10 without crossing any lines to open sector 67 and teleports to sector 65, the player is trapped.

Near that, if you look at sector 66 from the very-sharp angle from north, you can see that FLOOR6_1 bleeds into the empty place of a texture, because the sector is unclosed.

The sleeping sergeant of MAP02 is probably more famous, but in E1M9 on UV, there's an imp that's both blind and deaf.

xepop said:

As a person who sees red every time someone says "it's impossible", I must correct you. I think it was vddg who brought to attention the fact that in theory it's possible. :)

Please enlighten us all. Secret sector 147 is "impossible" for me at least.

While at it ...

Note the effect in Doom2 map 28 with the upper missing textures on lines 103-107 in software ports ...