Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vordakk

What are some good dusk/evening maps?

I am thinking about doing a level where it is dark outside, but I don't have a lot of experience with outdoor lighting (usually it is daytime in my maps :) So I was wondering if anyone knew offhand some good examples of wads where the author was able map dark outdoor areas while taking into account light sources like torches, lamp posts, chandeliers, candelabras, etc. and displaying it all in a semi-realistic fashion. I realize that I'm probably forgetting some really obvious wads but nothing's coming to me as of now. Any help would be appreciated. Later.

Scythe1/2 has good examples of these dark outdoor themes.

Reverie also has some nice night-themed maps, Map18 in particular has a pretty good atmosphere with the raining outside.

@fullmetalvaran33 and Joshy: Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm downloading those now.

deference said:

suspended in dusk.

I can't tell if you're being a troll or if you've never actually played SID. The outdoor areas in SID are 192 brightness.

MAP22 of Icarus, perhaps? There's an outdoor graveyard / marble front to the mortuary.

DeathevokatioN said:

Kim Maldes contributions to Alien Vendetta.

Kim Malde is God. His levels are incredible.

Vordakk said:

I can't tell if you're being a troll or if you've never actually played SID. The outdoor areas in SID are 192 brightness.

you don't have to have 64 sector brightness everywhere to convey an atmosphere of dusk/twilight in your map. it might be in your best interest to explore other options than relying on low sector light levels alone to convey atmosphere.

I've found that in Doom, low brightness levels for large outdoors areas rarely really work all that well, even at night, and that Doom's light diminishing at a more normal light level sets a better atmosphere (and creates a map that is far more visible and playable) when combined with a night sky, rather than turning the map dark.

deference said:

you don't have to have 64 sector brightness everywhere to convey an atmosphere of dusk/twilight in your map. it might be in your best interest to explore other options than relying on low sector light levels alone to convey atmosphere.

None of that crap you just wrote changes the fact that the outdoor areas in SID are 192 brightness. I hate that I keep feeding this troll.

esselfortium said:

I've found that in Doom, low brightness levels for large outdoors areas rarely really work all that well, even at night, and that Doom's light diminishing at a more normal light level sets a better atmosphere (and creates a map that is far more visible and playable) when combined with a night sky, rather than turning the map dark.

What you're saying is very true, Essel. Nobody wants to play a level where they're bumping into walls in a black room. I guess my post may have made it sound as though I was making the level darker than I am. I was thinking of setting the outdoor portions to 128 brightness and then using light sources with diminishing brightness sectors to cast light up onto buildings and other structures, or perhaps to illuminate items. What I have so far seems very playable and isn't confusing to me, but then again I made it so I guess I'd need to have an outsider play it to really know whether it worked or not.

Vordakk said:

None of that crap you just wrote changes the fact that the outdoor areas in SID are 192 brightness. I hate that I keep feeding this troll.

I can't believe that you're dismissing his points by calling him a troll. 192 brightness they may be, but the sky gives me nothing of a daytime feeling. It's the atmosphere and feeling of the maps that create an impression of it being... y'know, dusk.

Granted, it's not what you're looking for based on your description in the first post. To address that, I'd say Scythe's second episode always comes to mind (Map12, 13 especially). Cchest 3 Map06 has some nice outdoor areas with lit torches, Map08 has some great shadowing (though be warned that the brightest sectors in that area are 255, it's still worth looking at.

Snakes said:

I can't believe that you're dismissing his points by calling him a troll.

You're right, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh. It's just that when someone lectures me on what's "in my best interest", I go into dick-mode real quick. Sorry about that.

To me, 192 brightness always seemed like 4 o'clock in the afternoon, even though your point about the sky Espi used is well-taken, as is Essel's point about using more normal light levels and then letting the sky set a mood for the player.

DoomHero85 said:

crusades.wad e4m1 and e4m4

Yay, Crusades, and it’s hard.