Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UberFoX

New to DooM editing! Help plz :)

Ok so im not a DooM noob i bought it when it FIRST came out and its still fun to play! I even have it on my phone anyhow...

Although i am a programmer and made quite a lot of games/programs....

I used to use DEU back in the day although i wasnt very good i just make a few boxes and a few elevators etc...

So im seeing 2 editors:
* DeepSea
* DooM Builder 2

Anything else does not seem like it will be worth my time.

What editor do you recommend to use for me?
What do you use?
Which is ultimately best of the two above?

Thanks!

Most of us would say that Doom Builder 2 is better than Deepsea, myself included. It all comes down to personal preference though.

Doom Builder 2 for editing maps, Slade 3.0 for editing resources and other stuff.

In addition to being the only two major tools that are currently up-to-date and adequately support modern sourceport features, for most purposes those two should be the only Doom editing tools you need at all, other than of course something like image or audio editors if you want to directly create your own graphics or sounds.

esselfortium said:

Doom Builder 2 for editing maps, Slade 3.0 for editing resources and other stuff.

In addition to being the only two major tools that are currently up-to-date and adequately support modern sourceport features, for most purposes those two should be the only Doom editing tools you need at all, other than of course something like image or audio editors if you want to directly create your own graphics or sounds.

Yea that part seems interesting since DB2 is open source people can simply add in support for custom wad stuff in custom build engines like ZDooM (my fav).

Whereas with DeeP you have to wait for the author to add support or a feature you need.

However is that such a problem?

One problem with DeeP is it has a rather unrealistic pricetag for a editor to a early 1990s game.

Although i believe in *try before you buy* so i simply downloaded full version of DeePsea 12.15.2 so i can objectively decide at the end of the day which will be the editor of choice.

So far tho im learning to DooM Builder 2 MAINLY because when i draw stuff it seems to just *do* what i want it to do rather than doing errors and needing undo... Which DeepSea seems to be giving me... Another thing i like im DB2 is the instant 3d/2d rather than click a few times and waiting for an external program to load (like DeeP R3D thingy).

DB2 kinda reminds me of "BUILD" from Ken where you flip 2d/3d all time.

I myself use Doom Builder 2 and I also think it's the best however I never used Deepsea but I say use one that best work's for you.

Deepsea isn't worth buying. Doom Builder can do all the registered version of Deepsea can plus more, and it's free.

And if I remember correctly, the free version of Deepsea limits you to extremely small maps.

tempun said:

Is that related to Risen3D?

No idea... It bascially lets you view the map in 3d similar to doom so u can fix textures and lower/higher floors etc for deepsea editor

Another vote here for DB2 + SLADE3, though I personally use DB1 since my system doesn't much care for DB2. Oh yeah, and 7zip for making pk3s. :)

Eponasoft said:

7zip for making pk3s

I would only recommend this if you're trying to build a PK3 from a directory, otherwise, if you just want to edit the contents directly, Slade 3 is a much better option for that.

What I personally do is have all the non-directory game data in the pwad, and then use 7zip to build a pk3 with the pwad and all the directories I will need (for now, just models and skins). SLADE can probably do all this itself, but I'm old-fashioned and like my commandline tools. :)

Hi Uberfox... its the same from me too. DB2 and Slade. Most versatile editors that have come in handy. If you want to start modding in doom, get a feel for the engine first, sprites, sounds, decorate, gldef files. One thing I've learned so far is that doom is more vast and impressive with all the advancements of today than I thought it ever would be.

I used to use DeepSea. At first when I saw DB2 I was iffy about it, so I started playing with DB2 and never touched DeepSea again. I have a friend who likes DeepSea and refuses use DB2. But like Marnetmar said, "It all comes down to personal preference though"

Marnetmar said:

Deepsea isn't worth buying.

That is not entirely true.
However, you do not have to buy it to make use of the lump editing utilities included with the editor.

Marnetmar said:

And if I remember correctly, the free version of Deepsea limits you to extremely small maps.

That statement is true. 800 linedefs is rather limiting.

Marnetmar said:

Doom Builder can do all the registered version of Deepsea can plus more, and it's free.

If you had written
The registered version of Deepsea can do all of what Doom Builder can, plus more.
then you would have been correct.

When I no longer could run Zeth on my computer, I purchased Deepsea. While the interface is a bit muddled, it was easy enough to get used to. So after mapping with it quite extensively for some years, I tried Doombuilder 1. While it had a more refined way of presenting the layout, it was'nt enough for me to abandon mapping with Deepsea.

But, after I tried Doombuilder 2, I was hooked. So, now I use DB2 and Slade3 and, if need be, some of the lump editing facilities of Deepsea.

Between the two, or between anything really, definitely DB2. If I recall correctly, the last news article about Deepsea erupted into a firestorm, mainly about the unchanged price tag. The program is very... ninetieslike. It's kind of like a Swiss army knife of sorts, has lots of tools. DB2 doesn't really do any lump managing, but there are other programs for that. I use Wintex for that, but for a newbie I'd recommend Slade. I guess it's like some people not giving up Deepsea for DB2, for me it's hanging on to Wintex. But like I said, it's best to just start with the best programs available and learn to use them over time.