Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

Super Mario Bros 3 e-Reader levels

Yes, that's a turnip and a football man (the thing above him is a sideways coin).

Total shame these levels were never re-released and the e-Reader never stuck around. Though its days were numbered from the beginning for being so clunky.

I remember these. Back when this game came out, I preordered the ultimate edition or whatever it was called, that included the e-reader cards. When it arrived, it came with everything but the fucking game itself. Needless to say, I wasn't very pleased. :P

As for the levels themselves, they're pretty neat. I wonder; are they on the ROM itself, and all the card does is unlock it? I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled some stupid shit like that. (similar to how Sonic Adventure 1 for the Dreamcast had "downloadable" content, but it was already on the disc, but having a subscription to Sega Online would allow you to "download" it, and watch a fake download progress bar go up, just so they could make you pay more)

Yeah, all the extra content unlocked via the cards... are on the ROM itself. Basically the GBA's version of Downloadable Content included in the game already.

(Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. Preorder bonuses for games that include special multiplayer characters, for example, everyone needs the files in order for those players to be seen, even if they aren't supposed to be unlocked for everyone)

No, they are actually on the card. One of the things people were excited about was that you could possibly make your own levels by printing out your own codes.

When you enter a code and get the level and beat it, you can save the level to the cartridge, up to a maximum of 32 levels.

Also, remember there were standalone classic games like Donkey Kong, where you had 5 data cards you had to swipe through the reader to play the game.

I remember these. I also remember somebody ripped the levels out of the e-Readers and made a simple levels hack for Super Mario All-Stars, (SMB3)

hervoheebo said:

I never liked these.

The levels themselves, or the method of loading the levels? If the latter, I fully agree.

Sodaholic said:

The levels themselves, or the method of loading the levels? If the latter, I fully agree.

The method, the levels themselves look nice.