Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Strife, whats it like?

Strife, whats it like? I thought only Doom, Hexen and Heretic used the Id tech 1 engine until i found out about Strife, is it worth buying?

You can try to buy it. Or Google it. Or if you feel like cheating go to eBay and look it up. Always at least one copy floating around. It's an alright game. FPS/RPG type thing. Good critics reviews from places like Gamespot. It's worth checking out.

I got the teaser, tried it, and I think it feels more like a modded Doom than a whole new game (nothing drastic like Hexen). But maybe I shouldn't say that until I play the whole game.

Technician said:

I like Strife. I'd love to know who acquired the license. The source code would be nice, too.

Whether they released the source code or not probably doesn't matter because I can play this game using gzdoom.

yeah i played it once. from memory there are robots and viruses n shit. go shoot them!

DASI-I said:

I got the teaser, tried it, and I think it feels more like a modded Doom than a whole new game (nothing drastic like Hexen).

Compared to Hexen, it lacks ACS and polyobjects. But in exchange, it has NPCs with which you can converse and from which you can buy stuff; so I'd argue that it is as different from Doom as Hexen is.

Though you will need the full game to really see the differences. Several important elements (such as voice acting) are missing in the teaser.

Strife kicked ass, I used have it. I was actually very amazed with it when I was younger. Played it almost as much as I played doom, alot of my friends found it kinda "uncool". But fuck them, you should definitely play Strife!

It also has a very basic multiple endings scenario and "level up" system. Granted, the former involves a significant portion of the game you might otherwise miss, and some bits of the latter you may miss out on if you don't visit the pertinent quest npcs within specific windows. I agree with Gez in that the voice acting is an essential piece of the puzzle, and having blackbird constantly talk into your ear is a welcome change to the usual corridors of solitude.

Strife is probably my favorite iteration of Doom.

The setting is kind of funky. Kind of like post-apocalypse technomedieval style. The game as a whole seems like a proto-Deus Ex to me. I've never fully completed it.

Strife is an awesome game.

Technician said:

The source code would be nice, too.

If Rogue hadn't lost it.

If you want the source then go get the Choco Strife source.

I promise you that it is as close to the original as is humanly attainable without the original being miraculously discovered.

It syncs the IWAD demo, for god's sake. How much closer do you think it can get?

I think it was also very different from both doom and hexen in its level design. I guess that makes sense - it was the last commercial doom-engine game right?

Blackbird was so cheesy, but what do you expect from video game voice actors?

magicsofa said:

I think it was also very different from both doom and hexen in its level design. I guess that makes sense - it was the last commercial doom-engine game right?

Blackbird was so cheesy, but what do you expect from video game voice actors?

Cheesy, but way better than "Barry, where's Barry?".

And as far as I know, the bar for cheesy was set by Devil May Cry 2's chief antagonist.

I also love all those comic-book style intermission bits. It really helps build the game's character.

Just noticed something about the good ending. "Your victory will allow us to create a vaccine to purge the virus from our bodies." What? Everyone's already infected, what the fuck good is a vaccine gonna do? Don't these stupid writers know how vaccines work?

Writers just about never know anything. That's why they didn't get degrees that required them to know anything! All the writers who do know stuff seem to write books. It probably pays better.

It still amazes me they never get plausible-sounding technobabble. It's easy to find people who could fix it. They just don't care enough. On the other hand, the first Star Trek movie managed to have Isaac Asimov as a science consultant and it was still full of crap.

Sodaholic said:

Just noticed something about the good ending. "Your victory will allow us to create a vaccine to purge the virus from our bodies." What? Everyone's already infected, what the fuck good is a vaccine gonna do? Don't these stupid writers know how vaccines work?

Better than you, apparently.

Aliotroph? said:

It still amazes me they never get plausible-sounding technobabble. It's easy to find people who could fix it. They just don't care enough. On the other hand, the first Star Trek movie managed to have Isaac Asimov as a science consultant and it was still full of crap.

The game has an interesting story, cool weapons, and great character dialogue. It's probably my favorite Doom clone.