Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molten_

[WIP] Vanilla Taste

Hey guys, I started mapping about a year ago and since then I've been wanting to make a megawad similar in style to Doom 2. Mostly I want to do it that way because I'm still new to mapping, but it's also because I absolutely LOVE the way Id did their maps; They weren't too detailed yet they had distinct visual features that set the levels apart from each other. In this megawad I will try to emulate that; This means, that everything will be purely vanilla (Hence the name) aside from maybe a new soundtrack (Depends on if I can find anybody), and a few custom skies.

The difficulty will probably be pretty far up there, but I will try to make it have a clean difficulty curve. Also, even though it's intended to be vanilla, it will still be designed for Zdoom. Since I'm mapping with the original Doom format though, it SHOULD work in vanilla. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how that works, and I don't want to spend too much time trying to figure it out. Sorry if that disappoints anybody.
Some of you have suggested I test with Chocolate Doom, so that's what I'm doing from now on to ensure that it's vanilla-compatible.

If you want to beta-test just send me a PM and I'll contact you with a single-level WAD once I finish a level. If you sign up, PLEASE don't discuss the levels in this topic until I release a public beta. Also, I will only be accepting 5 testers.

Testers (3/5):
-HellBent
-Odd-o-matic
-PRIMEVAL

Levels: (1/32 completed)

MAP01: Cubbyhole pic1 pic2
MAP02: Dangerous Den pic1 pic2
MAP03: ---
MAP04: ---
MAP05: ---
MAP06: ---
MAP07: ---
MAP08: ---
MAP09: ---
MAP10: ---
MAP11: ---
MAP12: ---
MAP13: ---
MAP14: ---
MAP15: ---
MAP16: ---

THE REST ARE A SECRET

2011: The year of the vanilla megawad?

Razen said:

Also, even though it's intended to be vanilla, it will still be designed for Zdoom. Since I'm mapping with the original Doom format though, it SHOULD work in vanilla. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how that works, and I don't want to spend too much time trying to figure it out. Sorry if that disappoints anybody.

If you're going to aim it at vanilla, I'd reaaaallly suggest testing it regularly in Chocolate Doom so that you won't piss off people who try playing it in vanilla only to find that it doesn't work midway through playing it.

At the very least I'd use Eternity or PrBoom to avoid running into ZDoomisms (like untagged lifts, or untagged switch-door actions). But.. yeah, it's not that hard to test a vanilla wad in Choco to make sure it's actually vanilla. :P

ooh, I like the screens! I really like the first screen. So cozy and homey like a hobbit-hole. :) The scale is perfect.

esselfortium said:
If you're going to aim it at vanilla, I'd reaaaallly suggest testing it regularly in Chocolate Doom so that you won't piss off people who try playing it in vanilla only to find that it doesn't work midway through playing it.

Oh, I had no idea about Chocolate Doom (Shows how much of a noob I am :P). I'll definitely be sure to test with that from now on.

Also, thanks Hellbent.

i think you think the term vanilla is more complex than it is. i too test nearly everything i make in ZDoom, but if it's a Boom map then i'll still test in prboom(+), and for vanilla, Chocodoom or Chodorenderlimits. just grab yourself a copy of Chocorenderlimits and go through all your maps with it once you finish. no errors and you will be 100% vanilla.

making it pure vanilla really isn't difficult, especially given the style you're aiming for.

I test every map I make in Zdoom. But if youre not that experienced, sticking to Chocolate Doom would be a good thing.

A vanilla styled megawad seems easier to do than lets say limit removing. I think when sticking to some limitations it will speed up progress on completing maps without having to worry about spending loads of time on detailing everything.

Good luck with the project.

esselfortium said:

2011: The year of the vanilla megawad?

Youch, there are only 5 months left.

Marnetmar said:

D2TWID eh? Interesting.

I thought the same thing! The screenies do indeed look very cozy. Though i really don't like it when people spoil most of the maps in the wad's thread, with names and screens, 24 is still too much i think. Please at least don't say what level each screenie is from when you release more :)

Ouch, I'm glad I decided to start testing with Chocolate Doom so early because I've already ran into some issues with the first level. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get acquainted with it, though.

The screenies do indeed look very cozy. Though i really don't like it when people spoil most of the maps in the wad's thread, with names and screens, 24 is still too much i think. Please at least don't say what level each screenie is from when you release more :)

Yeah, 24 is probably too much. I think I will reduce it to 16 for now.

I don't like the previous Vanilla WADs, Reverie is the only interesting stuff for me. However, your first picture looks good as well.

I'll wait to your first relase. =)

You seem serious about making this good, so I'm really excited to play it whenever it finally comes out. Good luck brother!

phobosdeimos1 said:

Of course the biggest reason to test in chocolate doom is that god dangit tutti fruitti

Luckily I only ran into one and it was a relatively easy fix. Hopefully things stay that way.

valkiriforce said:

Cool; looking forward to this!

Hey, thanks. Your wad was actually my main inspiration to start this project. :)

When taking screenshots OP, please use a port that has a higher resolution so things don't look so pixellated.

You'll learning some things about making vanilla wads especially checking the render limits etc... for instance in Doom wads where you see a wall in front of a large area and think "why the heck would anyone put a wall here?" anyways some suggestions for vanilla. Hallways with 90 degree turns can be trouble if you go into the outside corner since you'll get a view of two rooms at once potentially, use curved turns to complete the 90 degree's this helps a lot and looks better. Floor only lighting can also be achieved by raising sectors ceiling well above the actual ceiling and leaving the sides with no texture. Use lower-unpegged mid-texture's often this can enhance detail without the need for extra linedefs. Avoid using very tall sectors this can cause problems in Vanilla. When working on a large level try and keep everything as close together as possible I had a problem with choco crashing because I had some areas with teleport's spread out too far from the main map the solution was to move them as close as possible to the main map (Plutonia 2's Archvile maze is a good example of how to build a large level in vanilla).

Mr. Chris said:

When taking screenshots OP, please use a port that has a higher resolution so things don't look so pixellated.

If you do that, then it dilutes the vanilla taste. ;)

Pottus said:

Floor only lighting can also be achieved by raising sectors ceiling well above the actual ceiling and leaving the sides with no texture.

This was actually a pretty helpful technique, thanks a lot! I've already found a use for it.

I love stuff like this. Old school style is always a lot of fun; simple but effective and nostalgic.

The name of this project keeps making me hear this song in my head for some reason.

Pottus said:

I made you a shitty little wad to demonstrate some possibilities with floor only lighting, I also put in some wall height lighting examples and a pit with a raised invisible floor, hope you find these techniques useful.

http://download849.mediafire.com/yjycsxu1kbqg/7olv3cizke47d5k/vlighting.wad

Cheers

This is very helpful, thanks!

Like the looks of it! Need a soundtrack, you say? ;) hehe I can also playtest for ya.

Oh man, that would be awesome. I was messing around with making my own music, but my composing skills are terrible.

I guess I will add you to the list, then. I'll PM you the first level once I finish fixing it up (Hellbent and Odd-o-matic gave me tons of suggestions)

Things are moving very very slowly right now; I doubt I'll even finish this project by next year (At this rate, anyway).
But, I thought I'd at least post what I have so far: Click

I've had a hard time deciding how to do MAP02, because I want it to be very natural while having an industrial ending leading up to the third map. I've gone through about 3 different revisions so far, but I think I've finally nailed it.
Here's the map of one of my previous attempts: Click

Also, special thanks to PRIMEVIL for the new titlepic!

His music is turning out really good, too. Don't want to spoil it but I'm really impressed so far.

Progress! Here's some shots of MAP02:

Also, changed the TITLEPIC once again. This one I did myself; I liked PRIMEVIL's work, but TBH it didn't convert to the doom palette particularly well :(