Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Subatomic

Texture alignment issue

Just starting off making a new map and have run into an issue I've never experienced before. I'm using Doom Builder 2 (svn build 1429) in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) with GZDoom (svn build 1231) as my port. The problem is that no matter what I do in DB2 to align the textures in an adjacent room, they won't align in-game. What I mean is, in DB2, they look perfect. They line up just the way I want them. But when I actually test the map in GZDoom, the textures are unaligned. I don't know if this is important or not, but I'll mention it just in case: The room I'm having the trouble with is connected to the highest end of a 3D slope. So, I've got Room A at the bottom where the slope begins, then Room B at the top where the slope ends. It's there in Room B that the textures won't align properly in-game.

Screenshot in Doom Builder 2:

Screenshot in-game using GZDoom:

Any idea what the problem is? Is it related to the 3D slope at all?

How does it look in ZDoom's software renderer? Like DB2, like GZDoom, or a third aspect?

By the way, how did you align them? By offset only, or did you also use the "lower/upper unpegged" flags?

Gez said:

How does it look in ZDoom's software renderer? Like DB2, like GZDoom, or a third aspect?

By the way, how did you align them? By offset only, or did you also use the "lower/upper unpegged" flags?

I've used Auto-align Textures X/Y, which didn't work, and I've also tried manually adjusting them by 8 (Move Texture Up/Down by 8). Adjusting them manually works in DB2, but they're still unaligned in-game. Haven't tried the map in ZDoom's software renderer, I'll try that and see what happens.

The textures are missing entirely when I test the map in ZDoom. Just a big checkerboard pattern, which I'm guessing is because I'm using custom textures. I'll try default textures now...

Okay, using default textures only, they're still unaligned in both ZDoom and GZDoom.

No, I use Doom Builder 1.68. Map format is "Ultimate Doom", screenshot taken in Prboom-plus 2.5.1.2.

Memfis said:

No, I use Doom Builder 1.68. Map format is "Ultimate Doom", screenshot taken in Prboom-plus 2.5.1.2.

Wow... completely different from my setup. Strange that we'd have the same (or very similar) problem then. I'm truly puzzled over this one.

What are your numeric Y offsets? That may shed light on the texture alignment, especially of the preview renderer is wrong.

From what I see in Memfis' screenshot, the step using texture SP_HOT1 should be use an Y offset of 50 and have none unpegged to look right.

Subatomic: Link to the map please? Preferably with the Visual Mode camera thing in the right spot so I don't have to spent all day finding this location.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I can already tell from your screenshots what's wrong. Don't use the GZDoom Visual Mode plugin for Hexen format maps. It is meant to be used with UDMF format maps only. Try the original Visual Mode (you can use it next to the GZDoom Visual Mode as long as you use different toggle keys).

CodeImp said:

Subatomic: Link to the map please? Preferably with the Visual Mode camera thing in the right spot so I don't have to spent all day finding this location.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I can already tell from your screenshots what's wrong. Don't use the GZDoom Visual Mode plugin for Hexen format maps. It is meant to be used with UDMF format maps only. Try the original Visual Mode (you can use it next to the GZDoom Visual Mode as long as you use different toggle keys).

Ahh, okay, that fixed it. I didn't realize GZDoom Visual Mode only worked in UDMF format. Thanks for the tip!

If you are not yet ready to abandon GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format), then you can map with r1416 and
the GZDoom Visual Mode will correctly align textures.

Kappes Buur said:

If you are not yet ready to abandon GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format), then you can map with r1416 and
the GZDoom Visual Mode will correctly align textures.

The latest SVN build of GZDoom I could find was r1231. Where did you get r1416 from?

Memfis said:

Thanks! But why it looks wrong with "lower unpegged" flag?

'Lower unpegged' locks the bottom edge of the texture to the bottom edge of the sidedef (before applying offsets)

It's meant for, for example, keeping door tracks in place when the door opens.

I never understood the naming of these features. It sounds reverse. I'd call it 'Lower pinned' if I were the maker of doom.

Subatomic said:

That's Doom Builder 2, not GZDoom. Two completely different things. And I'm already using svn build 1429 of DB2, which is even more recent than the one you mentioned.

Well, yes. You stated already in your first post that you are using the latest svn versions of GZDoom and Doombuilder2.

From the preceeding posts I assumed that your were mapping with DB2r1429 in the GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format) and that you are using the GZDoom Visual Mode to align textures. Codeimp then mentioned that GVM is only working for the UDMF format. Following that, I tried to convey, and obviously failed, that if you want to keep mapping in GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format), and still want to align textures in GVM, to use DB2r1416.

Kappes Buur said:

Well, yes. You stated already in your first post that you are using the latest svn versions of GZDoom and Doombuilder2.

From the preceeding posts I assumed that your were mapping with DB2r1429 in the GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format) and that you are using the GZDoom Visual Mode to align textures. Codeimp then mentioned that GVM is only working for the UDMF format. Following that, I tried to convey, and obviously failed, that if you want to keep mapping in GZDoom: Doom (Hexen format), and still want to align textures in GVM, to use DB2r1416.

My mistake. I get what you're saying now. I was under the impression you meant I needed the latest version (which I thought you were saying was 1416) even though I already have 1429. But what you actually mean is that I should *downgrade* to the somewhat older version, and GVM will work in that. Right?

Subatomic said:

... Right?

Yes.

For mapping or modifying levels in Doom (Hexen) format I use r1416, because of this texture alignment problem.
For new maps I use r1429 to map in UDMF format, it gives amazing control over the various effects.

Sometimes, when creating the map layout, textures are given offsets other than 0, 0. Then pressing A or Shift+A, it can happen that textures do not budge. For me, highlighting the textures, giving them offsets of 0, 0 and then pressing A or Shift+A while the textures are still highlighted, will work in most cases.