Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

KDiZD - Absolutely stuck on Z1M8

Me and my brother are cooping through KDIZD and we're absolutely stuck in the twin bruiser room. We killed 3 demons there and - nothing happens. We shot and pressed every wall in there. I even went and loaded the map into DoomBuilder. Seems that the "bruiser fight" is triggered by script 104 but I cannot find a triggering line or whatever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A group of demons, hellknights and barons should appear. Try going back into the hallway, you'll see two teleporters on the other end. Take those. They lead to the same place but you may get different results.

kdizd is filled with bugs in co-op. Especially z1m8. I had problems on that maps as well when I played it with a friend some time ago.

Something that added to our problem was that we couldn't run back after dying, because some flesh wall is blocking the passage once you get to the bruiser room. Given the enormously high level of detail, some thought could have been put into coop teleporters or the like, especially since the text file says coop supported. :( We ended up editing the level and moving the player starts closer to the bruiser room, then using a cheated singleplayer save game - just to be able to actually complete the level in coop.

(not a kdizd rant, though, if any contributor is reading this. We massively enjoyed it apart from the coop issues!)

Deathmatcher said:

:( We ended up editing the level and moving the player starts closer to the bruiser room

Don't you need permission from the authors to do that?

skaman86 said:

Don't you need permission from the authors to do that?

Only if you release the modified wad publicly.

Deathmatcher said:

Something that added to our problem was that we couldn't run back after dying, because some flesh wall is blocking the passage once you get to the bruiser room. Given the enormously high level of detail, some thought could have been put into coop teleporters or the like, especially since the text file says coop supported. :(

Hmm, I recall that we set up a script to move the player starts once the flesh wall lowers and another time when the floor before the bruiser room sinks into the lava... either the script doesn't work properly or my memory doesn't serve me right.

Vader said:

Hmm, I recall that we set up a script to move the player starts

Does that even work?

Marnetmar said:

Only if you release the modified wad publicly.

Wasn't original Doom.wad a target for pirates doing this?

Maybe the script does not work for player start #2. We messed around kind a bit with savegames, so I cannot say for sure anymore.

...And obviously I didn't upload a changed .wad to the internet. :P

Gez said:

Does that even work?

Seems like it doesn't, but the script is actually there, I just checked it again:

///////////////////////
// Checkpoint system //
// By BioHazard //
///////////////////////
int checkpoint = -1;
script 220 (int set, int save)
{
if (GameType() == GAME_NET_COOPERATIVE)
{
checkpoint = set;
//hudmessagebold(s:"checkpoint ", i:set+1, s:" reached";HUDMSG_PLAIN,0,CR_GRAY,0.5,1.0,2.5);
}
ELSE if (save)
{
autosave();
}
}

script 221 respawn
{
if (GameType() == GAME_NET_COOPERATIVE)
{
if (checkpoint != -1)
{
hudmessage(s:"warped to checkpoint ", i:checkpoint+1;HUDMSG_PLAIN,0,CR_GRAY,0.5,1.0,2.5);
teleport((17000+(checkpoint*8))+playernumber());
}
}
}

script 222 (int point){
int i=0;
for(i=0;i<8;i++){
thing_move(1200+i,(17000+(point*8))+i);
}
}

int tag_tid[9][2];

Don't ask me how this is supposed to work though, I'm absolutely no ACS-Guru :P

The thing to keep in mind is that player starts aren't actors. When the map is loaded, the engine transforms the player start things into a series of coordinates for each player (and spawns voodoo dolls if there are extra starts). The player start things are then discarded.

That's why you can't use skill level filters on them, by the way. And that's also why you can't set their height to put them above a 3D floor or whatever.

The usual workaround is to teleport the player after (re)spawning because you can actually set a teleport destination's skill filters and Z-height, and you can move it with a script.