Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoom 2.9 Full Release (updated to 2.9g)

gun_psycho said:

Ok, it seems like every time I try to clean out a level of enemies, I'm ALWAYS one enemy short of 100%. I really don't know exactly what triggers that.

Is this without the add-on pack too? What levels?
I just did E1M1:Hanger and got 100% kills, and a 300pt bonus for the 30 kills. What do you mean by 1 enemy short of 100%? You mean 99%? What does it say when you look at enemies left when you open the automap, just before finishing the level? That will show you how many monsters are left.

The only thing I can think of is like the old hellrose problem with monster closets, but I dont have any monsters that dont move anymore. Its possible that one of the replacement monsters that got moved to another monster category needs it's size tweaked, so it doesn't get stuck.

You should check if E1M9 is 100%-able sometime. I think there's the problem of certain monsters preventing the 100% kills thing from happening, that's where I found out about it not happening. (I tested E1M9 myself and used the "kill mosnters" cheat... and still I found that it seemed that only two monsters were left. I already beat episode 1, so that cheating part was for a quick demonstration)

gun_psycho said:

You should check if E1M9 is 100%-able sometime. I think there's the problem of certain monsters preventing the 100% kills thing from happening, that's where I found out about it not happening. (I tested E1M9 myself and used the "kill mosnters" cheat... and still I found that it seemed that only two monsters were left. I already beat episode 1, so that cheating part was for a quick demonstration)

Thanks for the info. hmmn, I just found out that the zombie that pops out of the zombie plasma tank counts as a kill (it shouldnt), so that will survive the 'kill monsters' cheat.
Its possible that you are blowing the tanks up and moving on w.o. taking out the exiting zombie?

edit: nah, something else is up. I think I know what is happening. Looks like an add-on pack update :P.

No, there weren't any of those tank zombies in E1M9. (Even then, I kill the zombie as soon as he exited) The monsters that I supposedly missed, even with the kill monsters cheats, I used the monster command line in the console (to see if there were any monsters left on the map) and the monster list just remains empty.

found it. The Pustules get spawned via a temporary invisible actor, and that had a monster flag attached to it. So when it spawned then 'died' you couldnt kill it. So any map with X of these spawners on them, will always have X missing monsters.
This is an add-on pack fix.

Ah, no wonder I was a few monsters short. (Then again, those imp trite and drone spawners are working correctly... though the drones still don't seem to float down or up towards the player)

Speaking of drones, the same invisible spawn point actors in DroneSpawnerSD, SDSpidImpHeadSpawner, and SDTriteSpawner have the exact same problem, so it really was no wonder that I was cheated out of 100% kills whenever those invisible actors are involved.

gun_psycho said:

Ah, no wonder I was a few monsters short. (Then again, those imp trite and drone spawners are working correctly... though the drones still don't seem to float down or up towards the player)

Speaking of drones, the same invisible spawn point actors in DroneSpawnerSD, SDSpidImpHeadSpawner, and SDTriteSpawner have the exact same problem, so it really was no wonder that I was cheated out of 100% kills whenever those invisible actors are involved.

OK, will fix and upload tomorrow.

BilboHicks said:

Since there seems to be a consensus with having the drops @ kill instead of spawn, I'll note that if I start work on another version.
SDST does the drops @ kill, but I remember trying to 'fix' it to drop @ spawn, hmmn, I honestly do remember there was a good reason for it :P

Maybe you should consider making a list somewhere of why you change something, so you can look back at it later and be like oh yeah that's why I did that :P

I doubt there's going to be anything done with drop@kill in the fix tomorrow, but I just wanted to state I like the idea of an option to have drops on kill. I don't know if I'd like it if the drop on spawn option would be taken out. It could possibly even be interesting to be able to have some powerups appear at spawn and others appear on kill. Maybe with a variable to control what percentage appear by spawn vs kill (or an upper and lower threshold?) if SD ever gets anything like that put in.

Anyway glad to see 3.0 is out and looking forward to the fix tomorrow.

sector666 said:

Maybe you should consider making a list somewhere of why you change something, so you can look back at it later and be like oh yeah that's why I did that :P

you mean being organized? Yeah that wouldn't hurt :-)
Actually, I remember now. I preferred them to drop @ spawn since then all the powerups would be available at the start of the map. The 'random' counter goes through its process at the start of the map, this way. Whereas when it is at kill, some power ups will never spawn until most or nearly all the monsters have been cleared. So @ spawn is great, except with maps with heavy usage of exterior monster closets, a lot of the powerups can get trapped.

I doubt there's going to be anything done with drop@kill in the fix tomorrow, but I just wanted to state I like the idea of an option to have drops on kill. I don't know if I'd like it if the drop on spawn option would be taken out. It could possibly even be interesting to be able to have some powerups appear at spawn and others appear on kill. Maybe with a variable to control what percentage appear by spawn vs kill (or an upper and lower threshold?) if SD ever gets anything like that put in.

Anyway glad to see 3.0 is out and looking forward to the fix tomorrow.

I will take a look at the code, this might be an easy addition, since the old code for dropping on kill has just been commented out.
1 more sdcustom.ini console var would be needed, 'sd_kill_artifact_chance', that needs to be 0 for the hi score server.
So you can set this with sd_artifact_chance, and get a balance. I think this is a cool feature to slip in anyways. I may push the patch back to after tomorrow if need be.

I will still be using @ spawn drops only for hi score server, since even after playing sunder, it wasnt like it was prohibitive, just certain sections were harder than others, and most maps have better/more open ended ways to score @ spawn.

Scoredoom & ScoredoomST have both received patch releases. Download them, especially if you play with the add-on pack.
more info on 'news' at scoredoom.com

@sector666: your requested changes are in.

@gun_psycho: thanks for the heads up on the add-on pack bugs. When I update the credits, will emphasize your QA help :-) A lot of stuff would of slipped through the cracks, without your feedback.

Man, I hate updating the add-on pack & hi score server tables, so I'm done, unless anything really showstopping is found.

The Green Herring said:

The download link for 3.0r2 gets me "File not found." Is the link incorrect, or has the file not finished uploading yet?

Thanks. The link is working now.

Ok, while I wait for the newest version to work with the high-score tables, I'll finish up my scoredoom enemy guide.

gun_psycho said:

Ok, while I wait for the newest version to work with the high-score tables, I'll finish up my scoredoom enemy guide.

ok cool, I will upload it when you are done, just PM it to me.

I'm curious if the pyrodemon crashes gzscoredoom for you with the sdgldefs.pk3. My system needs to be reinstalled, but want to rule out a problem with sdgldefs.pk3.
Other than that, hi score server now supports v1.4.1 of sunder.wad, including w. add-on pack. So this will give a good excuse to use [defaultmonstermaps] now ;-)

I also noted that in my sdcustom.ini file, I noted that the dark gargoyle enemy still spawns amongst the regular imps.

lol, I added another small patch version for SD & SDST. Only bother with this if you want to play uac_dead.wad http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doomsday_of_UAC

It has a very cool and unique finale relying on a deprecated version of doom, that now requires special mapinfo support with my zdoom base. Furthermore I needed to make a small change to gzscoredoom.exe & scoredoomst.exe for add-on pack boss-chain support. This patch should also fix any similar levels. After all that work, I decided to release the patch :P.

I was going through wads that would kick off boss chains, either through Tag 666 or though mapinfo declarations, and found that this one didnt work. It requires killing the barons, then killing the cyberdemon to exit the level, in a pretty cool arena at the end.

Something seems to be bugged with the high score table.. I just set high scores for the first two levels of Scythe II, and even though in-game it shows my scores as being the online high score, they don't appear on either the high score table itself or the list of "recently set high scores."

Ok, this is fixed now. Thanks. The hash for scythe2 was incorrect for the hardcore, no-infighting and hardcore-no-infighting databases.
I had missed out the last character of the hash, so your scores were being sent to wad_main_public.php:

http://www.scoredoom.com/hardcore/wad_main_public.php

Probably due to a copy and paste error when I created the import scripts from the regular database ages ago.

My apologies. I would try and do an import to move the scores from wad_main_public & wad_main_level_public, but these tables are deprecated in their structure, so it would be a pain. So hopefully you dont mind re-setting them? ;-)

My suggestion for an optional patch that doesn't prevent online highscoring is one that makes the corpses disappear shortly after the enemies are defeated. (That's to further help improve performance in maps with the insanely high monster counts, even in maps that have the "default monsters" setting turned on)

Also, I checked, and it seems that powerups still don't spawn from monsters generated by the demon spitters. (That's a big problem for icon of sin finales like Kama Sutra's Map30)

gun_psycho said:

My suggestion for an optional patch that doesn't prevent online highscoring is one that makes the corpses disappear shortly after the enemies are defeated. (That's to further help improve performance in maps with the insanely high monster counts, even in maps that have the "default monsters" setting turned on)

Also, I checked, and it seems that powerups still don't spawn from monsters generated by the demon spitters. (That's a big problem for icon of sin finales like Kama Sutra's Map30)

So, the add-on pack monsters are too powerful w.o. powerups, even with added ammo capacity?

This is a small change. I can add it, but what do you mean by 'big problem'? :-)
I'll also add corpse time out if it is easy.

The "big problem" part is with those certain Icon of Sin finales requiring you to do either wait for the right time to damage the icon of sin (KSutra's map30, where the added problem there is because the boss monsters teleporting in should the player fire before then will be a big problem when it comes to staying alive long enough to kill the boss spitter quickly) or if the player has to open up the spot where the boss shooter's summons quickly swarm the player as they try to open up the weak spot. (Hell Revealed 2's map30 comes to mind.)

Speaking of the add-on pack monsters, they're fine with the added ammo capacity... though the Surreal Demon having the quake attack upon dying's a really bad idea in megawads where jumping (which can minimize the quake damage) is forbidden.

Edit: That "corpse disappear" add-on should be best used for those really big slaughtermaps such as Deus Vult, Sunder, and Speed of Doom's map28 and map30.

gun_psycho said:

The "big problem" part is with those certain Icon of Sin finales requiring you to do either wait for the right time to damage the icon of sin (KSutra's map30, where the added problem there is because the boss monsters teleporting in should the player fire before then will be a big problem when it comes to staying alive long enough to kill the boss spitter quickly) or if the player has to open up the spot where the boss shooter's summons quickly swarm the player as they try to open up the weak spot. (Hell Revealed 2's map30 comes to mind.)

Speaking of the add-on pack monsters, they're fine with the added ammo capacity... though the Surreal Demon having the quake attack upon dying's a really bad idea in megawads where jumping (which can minimize the quake damage) is forbidden.

Edit: That "corpse disappear" add-on should be best used for those really big slaughtermaps such as Deus Vult, Sunder, and Speed of Doom's map28 and map30.

Ok, I was trying to determine why it was a problem if the levels themselves w.o. add-on pack are completable, albeit with difficulty. i.e. Do the add-on pack changes make these levels nearly impossible w.o. the powerups?
I'm ok with adding the powerups, since playing through journey to hell & sunder, I think the difficulty overall is easier, but more intense with the pack, due to the extra drops, but more powerful monsters, which is cool. Its real fun to strategize with the powerups and sometimes you get elevated to god, but then it all gets stripped away as you are scrambling around like a mouse trying to avoid the shitstorm you just kicked up!

Yeah, I agree the surreal demons quake attack is way over the top. There are 2 'bugs' left in the pack, that, and another I found. I will probably update the pack with the patch then. But other than that I'm very happy with this release, in terms of calling it final.

I'm following the thread on REJECTs. In terms of performance that would help wads like sunder, DV2 and map 28 of SOD.

Scoredoom updated to 3.0r3, and SDST updated to R5d.

"But other than that I'm very happy with this release, in terms of calling it final."

Maybe Not. I've got to stop saying stuff like this! Somebody on another forum mentioned that forcing pistol starts would make setting level hi scores more meaningful, and they are completely right. Since I dont bother with pistol starts besides the first map, I never took this into consideration.

List of changes:

Whole new game mode: Pistol Start Mode. This is aimed at players wanting to compete properly on level hi-scores. Each new level resets the player’s inventory to default. Pistol Start Mode also has it’s own regular, hardcore, non-infighting, and hardcore-non-infighting modes. You can also set wad hi scores in this mode.

(NOTE: Pistol Start Modes saves are not compatible with non-Pistol Start mode saves.)

other changes:
coop death penalty configurable via cvar: sv_coopdeath_penalty (default: 1000) (SDST R5d too)

boss cube spawned monsters now also can drop powerups with add-on pack.

add on pack: repulsion sphere now at the proper (longer) duration, surreal demon radius quake gone (SDST R5d too).

You will need this add-on pack version to play on the hi score server.

The pistol start mode with no-infighting is pretty much a no-go for those slaughtermaps.

Edit: It's good that the boss cube-spawned monsters now drop powerups, though. I'll go back to my Doom 2 run soon.

I attempted to run Doomsday of UAC without the add-on pack as instructed in the text file, and got this:

Script error, "DECORATE" line 112:
Replaced type 'CyberChain10bD' not found

EDIT (1:25 PM PDT): In addition, any saves (including autosaves) recorded while playing Pistol Start Mode are not compatible with Pistol Start Mode, causing online hi-scoring to be disabled if you try to load them even if Pistol Start Mode is enabled.

The Green Herring said:

I attempted to run Doomsday of UAC without the add-on pack as instructed in the text file, and got this:EDIT (1:25 PM PDT): In addition, any saves (including autosaves) recorded while playing Pistol Start Mode are not compatible with Pistol Start Mode, causing online hi-scoring to be disabled if you try to load them even if Pistol Start Mode is enabled.

Thanks GH.

RE: Pistol Start autosave problems. That's been patched in 3.0r3b, which is up now.

RE: Doomsday of UAC, thats a DOH! on my behalf. I'll break out the UAC_DEAZ_SD wad into a MAPINFO wad, and the add-on pack DECORATE portion into its own wad to use separately. Same with the UAC_DEAZ_SDST wad.
I'll update them in the SDFixedWadsFiles.zip file, and update the hi score server. Will post back when that is done.

EDIT: SDFixedWadsFiles.zip now has fix for UAC_DEAD.wad. Instructions inside that archive. But simply use the new UAC_DEAZ_SD.WAD file in there for non addon-pack play.

FYI: Now patched to 3.0r3c.

-Fix for Pistol Start Mode whereby this caused the player to go into an 'undead' state after maps like MAP10 of scythe where the player was killed on level exit.

Hopefully that should be it.

-For Single Player, total barrels, total secrets, total items & total monster bonuses are given as they are accomplished, and not at the end of the level.

How does it cope with dynamic spawning? Like if you have an Icon of Sin map and you've killed all monsters. Do you lose the bonus once a new one is spawned? Do you get the bonus several times each time you kill the "last remaining monster" as soon as they are spawned?

With ACS, you can also spawn monsters, as well as items, barrels, and even secrets... How is everything handled?