Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

I need a new nodebuilder

Reduce the split factor, break the map into smaller maps, use compressed nodes, switch to UDMF, etc, etc...

By messing with my nodebuilder's command-line arguments alone, I've been able to reclaim as many as seven thousand SEGS on extremely large maps. You also fail to mention what current nodebuilder and command line you're using.

I don't know how to mess with the nodebuilder's command line. I can't break the map into smaller maps. I was using Zennode. I just switched to ZDBSP to compress the nodes, but I can no longer run the map in PRboom+ which I want to be able to do.

Here's some documentation on using ZenNode:
http://www.mrousseau.org/programs/ZenNode/README.html

The -n switches in particular are most likely what you want to mess with. Ideally to build larger maps, you want to use an algorithm to reduce the number of splits to the BSP, producing smaller nodes. Try each one to see if they successfully build, and once [or if] they do, stick with the one that produces the fewest SEGS. You might also try compressing the BLOCKMAP if your map takes up a lot of area. If all that fails, try switching nodebuilders and do the same.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can configure DB2 to run the nodebuilder with whatever command-line arguments you want.

DoomHero85 said:

I don't know how to mess with the nodebuilder's command line. I can't break the map into smaller maps. I was using Zennode. I just switched to ZDBSP to compress the nodes, but I can no longer run the map in PRboom+ which I want to be able to do.

Don't compress the nodes, but do use the extended node formats. PrBoom+ supports them. See doc for further info.

DoomHero85 said:

My question about doing the nodebuilding in or out of DB still hasn't been answered. If I put this command line in, where do i do it in DB?

If your maps are that large, I'd recommend building nodes outside of DB. Saving the map with node building disabled is much faster with huge maps.

DoomHero85 said:

So I need to download a nodebuilder and do it in the prompt outside of DB then, and use one of the command lines Gez showed me on that page?

The nodebuilders are already in Doom Builder's installation folder.

I tried using that first command line:

zdbsp -R -m$_Mapname $_Wadfile -o$_Wadfile

but I don't what any of that stands for.

I tried to do it like this:

-zdbsp -R -m$_map01 $_(Mywad) -o$_(newnamewad), and then I tried
-zdbsp -R -m$_(mywad), then the rest the same, and got this error both times:

Could not open input file.

What do I do?

DoomHero85 said:

I tried using that first command line:

zdbsp -R -m$_Mapname $_Wadfile -o$_Wadfile

but I don't what any of that stands for.

I tried to do it like this:

-zdbsp -R -m$_map01 $_(Mywad) -o$_(newnamewad), and then I tried
-zdbsp -R -m$_(mywad), then the rest the same, and got this error both times:

Could not open input file.

What do I do?

zdbsp -R -m map01 Mywad.wad -o newnamewad.wad

Edit:
While we're discussing nodebuilders, I noticed this in the ZDoom wiki for ZDBSP:

--no-nodes or -N
This option causes ZDBSP to take the node information from the old wad file and write it to the new wad file. I cannot think of any reason why you would want to do this, but it is provided as an option nonetheless.

I actually used this for Jade Earth, as I built nodes with Zennode which produced better nodes for the map, but then I used ZDBSP to build a blockmap so that the map would run in Eternity. So yeah, -N does have a purpose. :)

Close DB2. Go to your DB2 folder, and from there into Compilers\Nodebuilders. You'll see a few cfg files. Edit them.

E.g., to add extended nodes, edit the zdbsp.cfg file. You'll notice a bracketed section named "compilers", ignore it. Scroll down to another bracketed section named "nodebuilders". It contains three subsections called "zdbsp_normal", "zdbsp_fast" and "zdbsp_compressed". Copy/paste this as a fourth subsection:

zdbsp_extended
	{
		title = "ZDBSP - Extended nodes";
		compiler = "zdbsp";
		parameters = "-X -o%FO %FI";
	}

Now restart DB2 and hit F6. You can modify your game configurations from there, and choose which nodebuilder config to use -- you should see "ZDBSP - Extended nodes" as a choice available now.

Extended nodes are supported by the latest versions of ZDoom, GZDoom, PrBoom+ and Eternity, as well as the current beta versions of Skulltag.

While Gez' solution works, I don't recommend modifying any of the files that come with DB. Any file that comes with DB is overwritten with any updates. You can still do what you want, but you should do it in a separate file.

In the Compilers\Nodebuilders directory, make a new text file with the .cfg extension. In that file you paste the configuration you want. Make sure that you also add the "nodebuilders" section:

nodebuilders
{
	zdbsp_extended
	{
		title = "ZDBSP - Extended nodes";
		compiler = "zdbsp";
		parameters = "-X -o%FO %FI";
	}
}

DB will pick up your new file and add this to the list of nodebuilders just like it would when it is in any of the other .cfg file.

If you're map is epically huge, then I'm interested in what it looks like.