Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

DTWID is seeking intermission-pic artists!

DTWID is looking for creative and talented artists with a love of doom 1 (or at least an appreciation of its art design) to make fresh, alternative intermission pics for the three original episodes. This will be a collaborative effort. I'd first be asking of you to do a quick rough sketch as I've done of the general layout and composition of your intermission pic and post it here as well as a link to some of your work (doom related or otherwise). I will then, with the assistance of the DTWID team, select the artist(s) which we feel would be the best fit for our project. For example, here is a quick sketch of a possible episode 1 intermission pic and an explanation of my thinking behind it. As you can see, I'm no artist, hence this thread :). If you want to just submit a concept design, that is great, too.

This concept maintains the dual crater premise of the original e1 intermission pic, but with a different perspective. You can see that in the top part is a 'crater' or a lowered area where there are some towers and a slime pool and on the right a base (a level). This base might want to be moved right to the edge of the slime pool--as some sort of alt. toxin refinery. You can then see a cliff and below is another crater (or lowered area) with two more bases. In between the cliff and the lowered area is empty space. Not sure what could go here.. Maybe this could be be a nice flat area slightly lower than the bottom low area. On the top of the image there maybe could be a high ledge or ridge on top of which there could be another base. Four bases could go on each raised area (on either side of the map) and I can see a little base (maybe e1m1) going on the other side of the pool. If this concept grabs you.. or you have some good ideas of your own and would like to help DTWID be the seminal mapping event of the decade that it is destined to be, let me know. ;)

I think we should wait for the final levels to be chosen before we draw intermission pictures, but that's just my opinion.

Since the intermission screens looked nothing like the levels themselves, I don't think that would really matter.

Here's my concept art for an Episode 3 intermission:

The red pool could be blood or lava, doesn't matter, though blood makes more sense as to how the marine could get out to the island colloseum-like structure.

Of course any of this could be rearranged or replaced, it's more just a rough draft. (No, I don't have the art skills to make a detailed version myself)

Well that's not what I'm saying. You see the intermission screen (in E1 at least) was designed according to the levels names. E1M1 didn't look anything like a hangar, but because it was named hangar it was represented by a hangar on the intermission screen. So I think that until we have the final levels and their names, we can't be drawing intermission screens.

Marnetmar said:

Well that's not what I'm saying. You see the intermission screen (in E1 at least) was designed according to the levels names. E1M1 didn't look anything like a hangar, but because it was named hangar it was represented by a hangar on the intermission screen. So I think that until we have the final levels and their names, we can't be drawing intermission screens.

I thought it would help us give our maps 'sense of place' since that's still an issue on a lot of the maps. And that maybe it would help people get out of the mindset that they are making maps for the existing mapslots of Doom rather than new mapslots. New intermission pic = same moonbase, but.. different conception of it.

EDIT:

I don't think this is a big issue, Marnetmar. if the bases need to be changed, they are small items on the map--shouldn't be too big 'a deal.

Thanks TrueDude. That's a nice concept--I like the floating thing in the background.

You have a point hellbent. I decided to draw an intermission screen concept. Keep in mind that this is just an extremely rough doodle.

To explain, each facility in this picture is supposed to look farther and farther away. E1M8's the farthest away, and it is supposed to be a huge pit in the ground with a slight red glow.

One thing to keep in mind, is that we cannot change where the game puts the blood splat and "you are here" graphics. Bear that in mind when designing these.

Also, since we're going with new intermission graphics, is it possible that the new skies could be reconsidered? If not, no big deal.

I think skies probably not only because it seemed to really turn some people off from the project. Also, because I think it would be really hard to come up with skies that'd be as iconic. New skies are a dime a dozen in doom projects where as world map intermission pics are not. That's just my $0.02, tho. I'm always open to input and democratic consensus.

Marnetmar, I like your intermission screen. It seems maybe a little jumbled tho...albeit in a good way. Also, all your base are belong to the clutter of the camera angle. Maybe a more top down view would be better, although I do like the 3D aspect it has. I think quick sketches are the way to go at this stage.

Here is a slightly improved version of my sketch I did earlier. The ugly gray things are meant to be bridges that allow the player to travel between ridges.

someone should make a diarama or something of a crater with clay or something, take a photo of it, then do some pixel art magic for finer details like buildings and stuff

Also bear in mind that it may be necessary that the locations of the buildings may have to be in the same locations as the buildings in the original pics, otherwise the You Are Here arrow maybe pointing in random places.

kracov's picture is fine, but the planet nature needs more detail. Also, are those buildings copied?!

Yes they kinda obviously are.

ZDoom has a system to let you choose where the map spots are, but I haven't heard of such a feature for any other port. (In theory, the coordinates at least could have been something dehacked may modify, since those values are hardcoded in the exe.)

I'm loving all of what you guys have come up with so far for this project. Awesome work. :D

C30N9 said:

kracov's picture is fine, but the planet nature needs more detail. Also, are those buildings copied?!

It's a concept, guy.

40oz said:

someone should make a diarama or something of a crater with clay or something, take a photo of it, then do some pixel art magic for finer details like buildings and stuff

All the potters in the house, you may reveal yourselves now.

Figured this might be useful:

Just a template showing the exact origin position of each bloodsplat for episode 1.

I like that episode 3 concept. Perhaps for episode 2 it could be the very edge of Deimos. Some of the bases could be perched on the very edge of a cliff-face that has a red glow signifying that Hell is below.

Or as an alternative for Episode 3 some sort of concentric ringed pit of Hell like as described in Dante's Inferno? Each layer could feature a building?

Gez said:

Just a template showing the exact origin position of each bloodsplat for episode 1.

Aaaahh i was just about to do that.

Does anyone think it would be good to wait until the maps are finalized in the project? It might be cool to make the buildings in the intermission actually look like the maps they are assigned to.

40oz said:

Aaaahh i was just about to do that.

Does anyone think it would be good to wait until the maps are finalized in the project? It might be cool to make the buildings in the intermission actually look like the maps they are assigned to.

Marnetmar thought we should wait, too. I thought doing intermission screens might offer us some inspiration and help us design maps with a strong sense of place and purpose. I'm weary to say reign in the abstraction, cause I don't think that's what's needed. it's more just about having rooms relate to each other better and the overall map feeling more cohesive and comprehensive than just a collection of doomy rooms and areas.

I would sooner the buildings/locations do not represent the maps so much as they represent the name of the map. In this sense you may keep it both abstract and true to the id design, as I have managed to successfully convince myself of pretty much all the original interpic buildings appearing as their name suggests:

The Slough of Despair looks like a slough, the Hangar like a building large enough to contain craft, the Phobos Lab convincing enough in the branches so as to suggest multiple departments of study (or something of the sort), the Anomalies small enough and remote enough to suggest their dangerous implications and single functionality, and so on. The Military Base does leave me a little stumped, however, as does Dis, which is supposed to be a monumental city of torture and white marble in the 5th circle, but hey, that account is hundreds of years old. City-wide renovation isn't entirely out of the question.

st.alfonzo said:

I would sooner the buildings/locations do not represent the maps so much as they represent the name of the map. In this sense you may keep it both abstract and true to the id design, as I have managed to successfully convince myself of pretty much all the original interpic buildings appearing as their name suggests:

The Slough of Despair looks like a slough, the Hangar like a building large enough to contain craft, the Phobos Lab convincing enough in the branches so as to suggest multiple departments of study (or something of the sort), the Anomalies small enough and remote enough to suggest their dangerous implications and single functionality, and so on. The Military Base does leave me a little stumped, however, as does Dis, which is supposed to be a monumental city of torture and white marble in the 5th circle, but hey, that account is hundreds of years old. City-wide renovation isn't entirely out of the question.

Good points Alfonzo. In their final analysis, id had no intention of making faithful representations of the references they made in the game. For example, Mt. Erebus is a frozen mountain in Antarctica and E3M6 is a lake of fire.

Hellbent said:

For example, Mt. Erebus is a frozen mountain in Antarctica

They probably thought that adding "mount" did sound cool. The real Mount Erebus is named after a boat, but it's more likely that what Id wanted to reference was the mythological Erebus.

And in other news:

thanks Gez!

In Greek mythology, Erebus ( /ˈɛrəbəs/), also Erebos (Ancient Greek: Ἔρεβος, "deep darkness, shadow"), was the son of a primordial god, Chaos, and represented the personification of darkness. Erebus married his sister Nyx (goddess of the night)

LOL -- not furthering the case for a literal explanation. ;) Bright and hot vs frozen and dark. :P

Here is a funny picture :D for inspiration, it is E2:

Made on the edge of Deimos. Also some buildings based on the name (2 towers = E2M2 Cooling Towers)

Doomsfall said:

A slowly building tower of babel on the Ep2 intermission screen

Whoah. I did not know that.

Anyway:

Was just messing around briefly with some images of craters that might be useful as background. Not saying these are that awesome (although I think they are pretty neat), but they might be useful for a few ideas etc etc. For example in the first or the last one, someone could turn the water into nukage slime maybe. These 4 are in the Doom palatte, and are the correct size (320x200).

Should anyone be interested, I can send the originals of these and a few others.

C30N9 said:

Here is a funny picture :D for inspiration, it is E2:

I kinda like these paintshop images that people have been doing.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I kinda like these paintshop images that people have been doing.

This is the normal Paint.

Sorry C3, I meant MS Paint, even though I said Paintshop. Heh.

Hm, I think I might give it a try too, the second image found by Kiyikia's seems to be perfect for the job.

Instead of drawing by hand I'll try to add some 3D modelled structures, I always sucked at drawing with proper perspective, but models should take care of that, we'll see how it looks.