Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

glDoom source code found

I couldn't find any previous thread regarding this and there was no reference to it on the Doom Wiki, so I'm assuming no one here knows about this. Anyway, I was just Googling Bruce A. Lewis and glDoom and discovered a new homepage for glDoom: http://gldoom.sourceforge.net/.

Over a year ago Bruce Lewis recovered the source code to his glDoom port, updated it to compile on VC++ 2008 and uploaded it. There are some other minor changes too. I've updated the glDoom entry on the Doom Wiki to reflect this. Even though there are many 3D accelerated ports that are now superior to glDoom, I thought that some of you on here might be interested in this discovery.

Edit: He made some additional changes in the SVN repository too: http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=314491

Not sure how relevant it is now, but a nice piece of Doom history anyway. It was very exciting to see Doom in OGL for the first time.. ironically I play in software 99% of the time :\

If I recall correctly, when he was actually writing this he was coming across issues with some cards not supporting textures larger than 256x256. How times have changed...

CODOR said:

No reason for the GPL anymore, then? :-)

No, since the original linuxdoom source was still available and free for all to modify, that's all that mattered.

natt said:

If I recall correctly, when he was actually writing this he was coming across issues with some cards not supporting textures larger than 256x256. How times have changed...

Not really. There are common cards and chipsets that still can't support non power-of-2 textures. Yet those same chipsets I allude to can do "3D Textures" and shaders.