Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redeemer812

Quake Con '11

For those that don't know, this is what Todd H. had to say about the Quake Con lineup this year:

http://twitter.com/#!/Thollenshead/status/94451435659472896

Obviously the new Doom isn't in this list, but note that this is an inclusive list and NOT an exclusive one. I'm personally still holding hope that Doom 4 will make a surprise appearance at Quake Con this year, but then again, there is one show stopper that I haven't been able to explain away. As we all know Rage is coming out October 4th, which is now only two months away, and I'm beginning to wonder if id will choose not to show off the new Doom because it might downplay Rage's release. Maybe it's a silly idea but reasoning like that has killed these things before...

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Is anyone here going to Quake Con '11? As the show comes and goes I'd like us to put our doom-related findings here for convenience's sake.

If anything this year... Rage!!!! Why hype Doom 4 when its 2 years away and they have a new game on the cusp of release?

They probably don't have much to show on it. They only hired the team 6 months ago? If anything they have models to show off and out of context people will be like yay new imp... meh. E3 next year they'll make a debut because it makes them look good financially, then they'll show off extra stuff at quake con.

They probably don't have much to show on it.

They've been working on Doom4 since 2008 at least, I'm certain they've got more to show than just a few models.

Also id is aiming for a 2012 release, with a holiday release at the latest. It's moving along much faster than Rage did.

Sometimes things fall behind... and a lot of companies have discovered releasing after Christmas is better. And I'm sure they've been working on Doom 4 since the end of Doom 3.

I'm just saying the fact they were hiring people for Doom 4 less than a year ago gives you a much better hint at the status of production.

Hoping I'm wrong though.

Redeemer812 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if id will choose not to show off the new Doom because it might downplay Rage's release. Maybe it's a silly idea but reasoning like that has killed these things before...

I could see this as a decent reason, but at the same time I can't help but think they should show something from Doom 4. They really just can't go wrong by releasing info. And even if it is just that, it doesn't even have to be screen shots or gameplay footage.

I mean Blizzard showcased Diablo 3 a few months before Wrath of the Lich King was about to come out and WoW kept trucking. Different scenario, I know.

Again Doom 4 doesn't need to be revealed to the public when Rage hasn't been released. They'd rather make a buzz at E3.

Also id is aiming for a 2012 release,

Huh? Where did you get this?

Well, think about it. Rage has been in development since about 2006, so it has been in development for five years. They say Doom4 shouldn't take nearly as long to get out the door as Rage. They started producing Doom4 in about late-2007 to mid-2008. And if they release later than 2012 they will take about 5 years again...

It's just an estimate, but I'd bet on it being released late next year. They've already got the technology and the team and they're proficient with all of it now. It might come out early 2013, but I'm still betting on a late 2012.

Studios fall behind all the time. Rage fell behind. Gears of War 3 purposely wanted to have a better release window. What people say can change day to day :-) In time we will see. Maybe it could be like Brink and they'll release a week earlier than expected :-)