Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inq

RPG / adventure elements

Is it possible to:
1. add conversations with NPC characters, as it was shown in Strife
2. equipment system (single bar with items will do)
3. Statistics like accuracy, health, speed... which player could pernamently improve by using one-use items.
4. Quests (finds this, bring that there...)

I'm not a programmer so the simplier it would be the better :)

I wanted to start game editing using Strife WAD and change few things, but Strife seems to does not like me and XWE crashes everytime I try to make some chaos in Strife's WAD file.

edit:

I mean something like this where those squares would store the collected items.

It's possible, but I wouldn't know where to start. This is pretty high-level mapping you're looking at. It will require addition of lots of game-modification lumps, not just level editing.

Inq said:

Is it possible to:
3. Statistics like accuracy, health, speed... which player could pernamently improve by using one-use items.

I'm not a programmer so the simplier it would be the better :)

Not all of these are simple unfortunately. I've never dabbled in them myself, but here are some points that might help you get started.

1) For conversations, the Universal Strife Dialog Format might help. Also check out the wad Stronghold as it has conversations with NPCs in its hub level. See how they did it.

2 & 3) The specific things you want here will range from easy to hard. You can change a player's speed and max health on the fly by using SetActorProperty in an ACS script, but things like accuracy are, I believe, hardcoded into the weapon's DECORATE definition and so you'll have to make separate weapons for each combination depending on what sort of stats you want to apply to weapons. The hardest part will undoubtedly be making an interface for your upgrade system, I can't remember the name of the wad, I think it's Psychic, but it has a cool interface for buying weapon upgrades that you can pull up at any time. Check out their scripts lumps and see how they did it.

4) Looks like this is entirely doable via USDF again, although I'm not sure how it deals with accessing global variables created by ACS which would be the easiest method of tracking quest status. If USDF can only deal with your inventory, maybe invisible dummy items could be used to track quest status? I'm not really sure how that all works because I've never used it.

Hope that helps, sorry for the vagueness, I might be wrong on some points but that's where I'd start looking.

Inq said:

Is it possible to:

The mod "Stronghold: On The Edge of Chaos" has the elements specified in 1 and 2 but not 3 and 4.

Thanks a lot! :) That already helped.

The problem is, it don't know how to start :/
I made a lot of scripts using older rpg makers but that was sort of Lego bricks instead of "real" programming. I mean, I know how the thing works in theory but I don't know how to get it running in practice.