Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

Illegal parking? Solved!

yellowmadness54 said:

I really, truly hope this is a joke.
Thats just... well genius to say the least.

Spoiler

Apparently it IS just a promotional video, the car was bought particularly for the video and the car owner is an actor.

Still, funny if you ask me.

I've seen some pretty awful parking round my area that could only be solved with a tank, a tow-truck or a bulldozer. I say lets ship this guy over to Greater London!

Jodwin said:

spoiler

Yeah, when I saw the way the guy just shook the mayor's hand and was like "oh yeah, now I understand" I suspected

Snakes said:

'Murrca needs some mayors like that.

Why? We have sherriffs here that go for more

Yes, that is a real m109 howitzer owned and operated by said dept.

GreyGhost said:

Why bother knocking down a crack house's front door when you can obliterate the house from the other side of town.

And conveniently destroy all evidence.

Even more conveniently - dispatches and buries the perps in a single operation, all that's required is to plant some headstones where the house used to be. Doesn't exacerbate the prison overcrowding problem either, so I'd consider it a win-win solution.

AFAIK all privatization does is reduce the burden on the taxpayer. To actually reduce the prison population will require a little creative thinking - such as purchasing Siberia from the Russians and introducing penal transportation.

GreyGhost said:

AFAIK all privatization does is reduce the burden on the taxpayer. To actually reduce the prison population will require a little creative thinking - such as purchasing Siberia from the Russians and introducing penal transportation.

I was being sarcastic. By privatizing prisons, the corporations behind them make ludicrous amounts of money off tax payers for prisoners who are stuffed in them, most with petty offensives.

GreyGhost said:

You guys already have Alaska and the south-west. Granted, those are probably a little easier to escape, but I'm sure America can solve that with overwhelming firepower, perhaps negating the cost-reducing point of the venture. :p

Antarctica is surrounded by freezing oceans and killer whales, which should make for an even better prison.

Technician said:

I was being sarcastic. By privatizing prisons, the corporations behind them make ludicrous amounts of money off tax payers for prisoners who are stuffed in them, most with petty offensives.

Sorry, my sarcasm detector had a flat battery. I wonder, is it possible to run a prison profitably without turning it into a third-world hellhole and/or the venue for a "reality" TV series?

GreyGhost said:

I wonder, is it possible to run a prison profitably without turning it into a third-world hellhole and/or the venue for a "reality" TV series?

The purpose of a prison is threefold:
1. Protect society by removing dangerous individuals from it;
2. Punish said dangerous individuals to dissuade others from imitating them;
3. And finally, rehabilitate them so that they no longer are a threat once they have served their time.

Notice that "make a lot of money" isn't in this list.

There are plenty of things that are meant to make money. We call them "business". There are also plenty of other things that have different goals. We call them "public services".

Gez said:

Notice that "make a lot of money" isn't in this list.

It's only a matter of time before that purpose tops the list

Prisons minister Crispin Blunt says he wants "tens of thousands" of prisoners to take "meaningful" work to help cut reoffending rates.

He said he wanted Britain to be a "global leader" in inviting businesses to come into prisons to take advantage of the "effectively free labour".

Prisoners are not free labor. They're gov't-paid labor. They're fed, clothed and sheltered with taxpayer money. The businesses that make use of them without paying to use them are free to get rid of normal workers, increasing unemployment rates. High unemployment rates lead to social and financial crises. People just end up becoming criminal because that's the only avenue left open to them.

If you have to get into prison just to find a job, something is really, really fucked up in your society.

Snakes said:

'Murrca needs some mayors like that.

We do. His name is Joe Arpaio, and he is a fascist piece of shit.

Gez said:

There are plenty of things that are meant to make money. We call them "business". There are also plenty of other things that have different goals. We call them "public services".

But that would require paying taxes, and I don't WANNA pay my taxes.

Everyone knows that Manhattan island would be the best prison.

An earthquake-ravaged L.A. would be a less good but somewhat amusing secondary option.