Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deported

Doom 3 source code going free after Rage launch

yellowmadness54 said:

but why would we need a source port for DOOM3?

Improved Win7/Vista support, new OpenGL features, DirectX support, multiplayer enhancements, and multi-platform compatibility (Linux, Mac, etc) just to name a few.

Damnit.

I'm a console gamer (if gaming at all) and from what PC games I've played (non doom era) I dont use source ports with or have seen source ports for them.

My bad...

The whole Doom3world.org and Doom 3 modding community will be all over this.

The Dark Mod team is very happy that this has been announced.

Also, I'm not experienced at all in these topics, but I have a critical question, it's mostly on hold until the actual source is released with all the license limitations...wouldn't we be able to use Punkbuster at will and stuff like that, since it comes with Doom 3 and other ID Tech 4 games?

Isn't this a tremendous fuckup?

Yeah, the PunkBuster-related code will probably be removed before the code is released.

Still, some neat happenings could come around now with the source code's release. I'd love to see some new multiplayer stuff.

PunkBuster will be removed in the same way it was done for Quake 3.

deported said:

is anyone interested in working on Source-Ports for Doom 3, to add better DM/Coop akin to Doom 2 than it currently had?

Doom 3 the game and Doom 3 the engine are separated enough that the engine source code will not help for this. Indeed, you could (and has been done) add better deathmatch/coop to Doom 3 without the engine source code at all.

I'm honestly looking forward to a source port that fixes sound support on Linux. As it is right now, I need some ugly workarounds just to make it run with sound properly.

Arx Fatalis was released under the GPL. And Carmack probably wouldn't accept anything else.

But chungy, ID Tech 4 along with other game's sources will be released too.

What I'm looking forward to is general improvements on the gameplay itself without any kind of...crappiness...like most of those mods add. I want Doom 2 stuff in 3 too, for example, Survival mode.

deported said:

I want Doom 2 stuff in 3 too, for example, Survival mode.

Oh man, that sounds cool. But seeing as how DOOM3's gameplay was, I can't see that working quite as well as you think. But man, DOOM2 maps like in skulltag on DOOM3? That'd be amazing, but near impossible.

DOOM4 hopefully will set that record straight.

I want Doom 2 stuff in 3 too, for example, Survival mode.

Oh man, that sounds cool. But seeing as how DOOM3's gameplay was, I can't see that working quite as well as you think.

LMS Mod

I've always wanted something more akin to Nazi Zombies actually, with barricades and crap. I'm not sure if a mod like that needs the source code, but I haven't seen it done before. LMS has a survival mode but I don't care for it much.