Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

Creating new TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps from scratch.

Probably a really simple question, but how is this done? I can easily enough take a Doom2 TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump and modify these, but seeing as I wonly want to add a few patches/textures and everything else will be just stock DOom2 resources, how do I create new, empty lumps that I can add patches to and create new textures in?

I am using SLADE, which has a "create new directory" button on the toolbar, but I assume this is used when creating a map in .pk3 format, rather than anything usable for vanilla or Boom maps.

Thanks guys. :)

If it's for ZDoom or derivative, you can indeed start from scratch.

However, for other ports, you have to start with a copy of the IWAD's lumps because they are not cumulative in the original implementation and therefore neither are they in most ports.

Since you're using SLADE, the simplest method is to use the built-in editor. Click on "Archive->Texture Editor" and, if your archive doesn't already contain texture stuff, you'll get a messagebox asking you if you want to create one (and if so, in which format) or import it from the base resource archive. Importing from the base resource archive means it'll just copy the relevant lumps from the IWAD and open the editor; creating a new will give you something empty.

Also note that when you right-click on some graphic lump and choose "Gfx->Add to Patch Table" or "Gfx->Add to TEXTUREx", you'll get the same ability to create new or import from base archive.

Regarding the texture lump, you can simply name your new one TEXTURE2 for any Doom2 wad, as the game checks for that lump even though Doom2 doesn't use it (Doom1 and Heretic do however).

Thanks for the replies. :) Yeah I see, you can't create a new lump based on these formats..

So then, my next question would be, is there a quick and easy way to empty the PATCH and TEXTURE lumps so I can just add a few textures and inherit the rest from stock resources?, or is there any wads that people could name that has these lumps with only a handful of new resources in them? Just to save me deleting everything one patch and texture at a time.

Lust like what has been said. If you just want to make a PWAD with some extra textures, but don't want to loose existing ones, just:

- Import the graphics to your WAD in Slade3 (drag n drop image files works)
- Select them all and right-click > gfx > Add to TEXTUREX.
- In the dialog, select import and click ok (shown in the post below this one)

Done.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Thanks for the replies. :) Yeah I see, you can't create a new lump based on these formats..

What? Yes you can.

Or is this chopped liver?

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So then, my next question would be, is there a quick and easy way to empty the PATCH and TEXTURE lumps so I can just add a few textures and inherit the rest from stock resources?, or is there any wads that people could name that has these lumps with only a handful of new resources in them? Just to save me deleting everything one patch and texture at a time.

Did you read anything I typed; or did your eyes just glazed over, seeing only a sea of endless boring words with no meaning? :/

No Gez, I actually read the posts quite thoroughly.

Gez said:
If it's for ZDoom or derivative, you can indeed start from scratch.

However, for other ports, you have to start with a copy of the IWAD's lumps because they are not cumulative in the original implementation and therefore neither are they in most ports.

So you have to start with a copy of the IWAD's lumps, as you said.

Since you're using SLADE, the simplest method is to use the built-in editor. Click on "Archive->Texture Editor" and, if your archive doesn't already contain texture stuff, you'll get a messagebox asking you if you want to create one (and if so, in which format) or import it from the base resource archive. Importing from the base resource archive means it'll just copy the relevant lumps from the IWAD and open the editor; creating a new will give you something empty.

"And if your archive doesn't already contain texture stuff" is what I saw here, which of course an IWAD patch or texture lump always will, so you can't get an empty lump doing this. Doing this simply opens the Texture and Patch editing tabs.

Also note that when you right-click on some graphic lump and choose "Gfx->Add to Patch Table" or "Gfx->Add to TEXTUREx", you'll get the same ability to create new or import from base archive.

I know how to modify existing texture and patch lumps and do this, but this still doesn't seem to say how to start off with an empty lump.

Gez said:

What? Yes you can.

Or is this chopped liver?
[image]

Now we arrive at the thing that is not clear to me. How did you open this little window? I have gone through what you have said, and it is not clear how to get to this 'create texture definitions'.

Thanks Gez.

Zom-B said:

- Select them all and right-click > gfx > Add to TEXTUREX.

This is how you get this little window. If you don't see this window when you follow the steps, then you will see a window complaining about that you haven't configured a Base Resource IWAD (see toolbar). Once you've done that, and follow the steps again, you'll get this.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

"And if your archive doesn't already contain texture stuff" is what I saw here, which of course an IWAD patch or texture lump always will, so you can't get an empty lump doing this. Doing this simply opens the Texture and Patch editing tabs.

Archive, not base archive. The wad you're editing, not the IWAD.

Thanks guys for explaining this. :) Now I get it. For real this time!

All I needed to do was NOT have an existing IWAD Patch or Texture lump in the wad I am working on, and then when I want to add new patches to either, Slade creates new empty ones for you. Very cool.

It doesn't matter if you have a PNAMES lump (which is handy if you need an IWAD patch list as a base), so long as there's no TEXTURE* lump.

This just gets better and better. Thanks Ghost.