Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Todd Hollenshead - We Have More Waiting to do Until you Hear any Doom 4 Details

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1186233p1.html

QuakeCon 2011 is underway, and most of the talk this year is about Rage, id Software's first major release since Doom 3. It's a sensible focus considering Rage comes out in less than two months, but still, what's going on with Doom 4, first announced way back in 2008?

According to id Software president Todd Hollenshead, we've still got some waiting to do before we hear any details. "id Tech 5 is the basis for Doom 4, and I guess infer what you will…What we're really focused on is getting Rage out the door. Once we're to that point, then we want to transition to how we're going to present Doom 4, what are the talking points, how do we introduce it. Because that stuff hasn't even been determined yet. We're talking about that internally."

"I know everybody's interested," he said. "I am too."

Aw shit.

DOOM4 and Far Cry 3, the only reasons I give a damn about modern gaming anymore, and still have will power to continue.

I cant wait to see some photos,videos,demos, or hell, even just news for doom4.

I was really anticipating Quake Con '10 to see Doom4 and they didn't show it then... so I wait a whole friggin' year for Quake Con '11 and this is really all they can say about the project?

Geez. It's understandable that they don't want to upstage Rage, but showing off a trailer or even just some pics of Doom4 wouldn't have hurt them at all.

Maybe that's because in truth they have nothing to show for it yet. They're just saying shit to get our hopes up and in reality they haven't started shit yet.

That's at least two QuakeCon's they've bitched out of now in regards to Doom 4. Well, I'm pretty much expecting another three years of development from this point, at least. I'm going to try my best to just forget about Doom 4 and this sub-forum until about then.

Redeemer812 said:

Geez. It's understandable that they don't want to upstage Rage, but showing off a trailer or even just some pics of Doom4 wouldn't have hurt them at all.

Showing off Doom4 with a trailer and/or pics would completely upstage Rage and steal the show. Not doing so is a wise decision. Also, they really don't need another (way too) long period of time in between the first media and the actual release. Both Doom3 and Rage suffer from this. They end up having to show too much in order to maintain the "hype".

I'm actually pretty pleased by the lack of Doom4 stuff :P

id Software wanting to focus entirely on Rage is perfectly understandable. They've been working on the game for six years, and they probably don't want it to be forgotten in favor of Doom 4 in the last two months before it's release.

Also, I think it'd be rather fitting if a trailer was released on December 10th.

Just because they aren't showing any information/media/whatever from the game on this years QuakeCon doesn't mean we will have to wait until next years Quakecon for any piece of information from the game. For all we know they might show us something earlier then that, either in some interview or probably even at next year's E3.

Personally I've been on the fence about getting Rage. It looks awesome but I'm just not that big of a gamer anymore. However, if they showed some Doom 4 stuff, which I'm definitely going to get, I think I'd feel the need to get Rage, if only to experience some of what the engine has to offer. Kind of like a preview. So in my perspective, showing Doom 4 would've boosted Rage sales.

But that doesn't make any sense.

You know that Doom 4 is on the same engine as Rage already. So if you were really going to pick up Rage to see what the engine can do, you wouldn't need a big fanfare about Doom 4 to really do it.

Clonehunter said:

Maybe that's because in truth they have nothing to show for it yet. They're just saying shit to get our hopes up and in reality they haven't started shit yet.

Gee, how long does it take to develop a game with a well-established premise, working eight hours a day on it? What exactly causes all this delay? You can't say the mappers, artists and programmers are getting tired of it like here in the community, it's not a hobby, it's their job. What exactly is holding them off? Waiting and waiting for legal stuff like licences and patents?

They've apparently been working on the game for a couple of years (at least) now. But that doesn't mean necessarily that they're at the stage where they have stuff of a good enough quality to publish.

Having said that I don't personally think that's the case. I'm sure theyre pretty well along in the development, though Carmack has mentioned that he and the rest of the 'Core team' at id will be moving over to the Doom 4 project when or slightly after Rage ships. So there's plenty to be done still.

Yep they have more waiting until E3 next year. Gotta look strong for casual investors instead of hardcores.

I still say they've been working on the game for less than a year... BUT the plotting and technology has been worked on since after Doom 3. I say less than a year because they were hiring people for the team at the beginning or last year.

Plus... they haven't released Rage. Why get people hyped for Doom 4 when people haven't bought Rage. Get them too hyped for Doom 4 and people will be like... eh I think I'll wait and not buy Rage until its $20.... because Doom 4 sounds better.

geo said:

Plus... they haven't released Rage. Why get people hyped for Doom 4 when people haven't bought Rage. Get them too hyped for Doom 4 and people will be like... eh I think I'll wait and not buy Rage until its $20.... because Doom 4 sounds better.

Well done for summing up exactly what Todd Hollenshead said in the quote in the OP. Took you long, did it?

Plus, just because they only started hiring some guys for the Rage project last year or whenever doesn't mean that they were'nt working on it before. There were plenty of guys at id already perfectly capable of working on Rage.

Sorry. I don't really read posts past the original poster. Thanks for being snide :-)

geo said:

I still say they've been working on the game for less than a year...

Doom 4 team already had about 100 people (which is 1.5 times bigger than Rage) around August, 2010. It's a safe bet that they've been working on the game more than a year, maybe 2 years.

Redeemer812 said:

I was really anticipating Quake Con '10 to see Doom4 and they didn't show it then... so I wait a whole friggin' year for Quake Con '11 and this is really all they can say about the project?

Would you rather see a bunch of imagery and video that doesn't properly represent Doom 4? Or wait until they've completed enough of it before they show anything? If anything, this is a good sign. It (hopefully) means they're being serious about the project and don't want to reveal anything until it's stable and beautiful.

Shaviro said:

Showing off Doom4 with a trailer and/or pics would completely upstage Rage and steal the show.

This.

DoomUK said:

This.

Yep. 20 year cult following that made PC gaming vs new IP from the desert wasteland shooter genre...