Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

My new map: Creature of despair. Your thoughts?

This was originally suppose to be a map contribution for someone else's slaughterWAD project, but then I decided to make it a standalone release since I felt the map was too different from the rest of the maps.

Its basically a slaughter map (though not the "OMFG A THOUSAND MONSTERS IN A BOX ROOM!!!" kind of slaughter map) and is a parody of the "Slough of despair" from Doom 1.

The WAD has already been uploaded to the /idgames and is found here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16545

This map was made in about 1 day. What are your thoughts on it? All feedback/opinions both good and bad are welcome. Thoughts?

I played it recently and I think that although the idea is decent enough (if not original), the map needs some work in terms of appearance. It's not very visually appealing and some of the fights are also a little repetitive (particularly all of those Cacos at the end as they are deaf; everytime I thought I was done there was more to kill!)
I don't want to put you down at all, but maybe it would have been better to ask this question before releasing the map into /idgames as there are definite ways in which it could be improved.

Duncan makes some valid points, but I actually really liked this. A good mindless shoot-em-up level. Gimme guns and gimme stuff to shoot at. Lots of stuff. :) I had some fun with this level.

It's gonna be a sad day when we get so used to professionalism and perfection in our Doom maps that there is no room for simple, silly, totally 'unrealistic' maps like this.

I think this map deserves some love.

duncan said:

the map needs some work in terms of appearance. It's not very visually appealing

Well neither was the original Slough of Despair. I do agree though that the map doesn't have a lot of visual variety, but I was trying to emulate some of the feel of SoD from E3 from Doom 1.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Duncan makes some valid points, but I actually really liked this. A good mindless shoot-em-up level. Gimme guns and gimme stuff to shoot at. Lots of stuff. :)

Yea that's basically what I was going for when making this. Some good and simple fast paced action with lots of enemies.

hardcore_gamer said:

The original Slough of Despair wasn't very visually appealing...

Actually my man, I am going to disagree with you there. in 1993, Slough of Despair was an incredible looking map. Atmospheric and very scary.

It doesn't look very appealing when judged by today's standards, but that is not usually a fair way to judge an original Doom map. :)