Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Is it safe to map in UDMF? (With test map)

Is it safe to map in UDMF mapping format, I read that this one guy could not open a door or exit the map. I am making a project right now and if UDMF is not stable then I might just save me some time and cancel it. Here is a test map for you guy's to try out just to make sure UDMF is a ok format.

"Stable" meaning what? I'm pretty sure once a map is loaded into the game, it's all in the same internal format anyway no matter how you created it.

PRIMEVAL said:

I haven't had any trouble with it. It's basically just Hexen format with a few extra options.

Well ok thank's, I'll still put a link that test map though just in case.

esselfortium said:

"Stable" meaning what? I'm pretty sure once a map is loaded into the game, it's all in the same internal format anyway no matter how you created it.

Ok thank's and what I mean by stable is like no bug's, error's, stuff like that.

Doors and exit triggers work in UDMF, no problems.

It does seem there is a bug in ZDBSP for some very large and complex maps. This should hopefully fixed as soon as Randy gets some free time to work on it -- he's been kinda scarce the last few weeks, because of flooding in his area.

Gez said:

Doors and exit triggers work in UDMF, no problems.

It does seem there is a bug in ZDBSP for some very large and complex maps. This should hopefully fixed as soon as Randy gets some free time to work on it -- he's been kinda scarce the last few weeks, because of flooding in his area.

What kind of bug? I guess I am in the clear though because I have never had a bug but I would just like to know.

There is a problem with collision on large maps, also if you want to set custom parameters to sectors, things etc all of the ACS UDMF functions return zero.

Pottus said:

There is a problem with collision on large maps, also if you want to set custom parameters to sectors, things etc all of the ACS UDMF functions return zero.

Oh ok that's good to know, thank's guy's.

jdagenet said:

thank's

jdagenet said:

thank's

jdagenet said:

thank's

jdagenet said:

guy's.

STOP THAT URrRRGRGGGHHHHQ

jdagenet said:

bug's, error's

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

jdagenet said:

Did I do something wrong?

He is being a Grammarian, which IIRC we have some kind of rule against.

To be more specific he is upset because you were using apostrophes incorrectly - an apostrophe before an s should only be used to indicate the possessive, ie., to indicate ownership of something (ex: John's car).

Anyway... RETURN TO ADVENTURE TOPIC =)

Usually possessive, but depends on the word as well ;)

But yeah, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. I'm using UDMF for a small wad and so far no problems (except for on my lappy as for some reason, some Hexen / UDMF features are unstable for an Intel Processor or something?).

Guest DILDOMASTER666
jdagenet said:

Is it safe to map in UDMF mapping format, I read that this one guy could not open a door or exit the map. I am making a project right now and if UDMF is not stable then I might just save me some time and cancel it. Here is a test map for you guy's to try out just to make sure UDMF is a ok format.

Yes, Universal Doom Map Format Mapping Format is safe to work in. UDMF is stable; ZDoom, however, is not. It likes to shit itself when rendering vertices with more than two digits behind the decimal point.

I prefer mapping in doom or hexen format. There are a few times I tried UMDF, but it's a nuisance when editing linedefs and their effects because there are too many options, and they are almost always wrong initially. In hexen format, only the trigger field is often wrong so it's easy to fix, but UMDF has so many checkboxes that even the checkbox panel has a scrollbar.

Yes but thats not an inherent problem in the UDMF format itself, that is a usability problem in whatever map editor you are using.

As Fisk stated, the format itself is fine (though somewhat unwieldy IMO) , all current issues with UDMF appear to be due to flaws/misconceptions in individual ports and utilities.