Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oddball Wizard

Any Heretic/Hexen fans here?

23 hours ago, Ichor said:

Best way to deal with E4M1 is to severely curtail your ammo usage and let that crusher do most of the work. The maulotaur can be dealt with by using the gauntlets, a tome of power, and ring of invincibility. You should have enough ammo leftover (assuming you found the hellstaff) to deal with those ophidians and iron liches.

As for E5M1, you're going to need to make some room outside. Get the gauntlets and get rid of those gargoyles. In the crossbow room, your main objective is to not get surrounded inside, even if you did get the crossbow. Lure those guys outside and deal with them with the gauntlets or whatever. Then there's that top area. Have fun with that, especially if the maulotaur falls off into the lava in the side instead of the starting area.

Oh I know how to beat all maps in those 2 episodes with little trouble, They are still really annoying maps the first time to play. (Getting starved in e4m1, Getting ambushed by the iron liches and wizards in e5m1 -hilariously the minotaur is no problem at all).

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

E3M1 is kinda hard too.

A fun trick I like to do there is to let one of those tornadoes pick me up and over to the exit area. Then I go and get the hellstaff, but instead of simply leaving the map right then, I go back and kill everything and pick up all the stuff lying around before I leave.

11 hours ago, Ichor said:

A fun trick I like to do there is to let one of those tornadoes pick me up and over to the exit area. Then I go and get the hellstaff, but instead of simply leaving the map right then, I go back and kill everything and pick up all the stuff lying around before I leave.

Now that's lateral thinking... or maybe better called "vertical" thinking...

I actually love Heretic and Hexen. They are actually really nice looking games and I personally would play that over Doom, but I don't.

11 hours ago, Rocketman said:

... I personally would play that over Doom ....

Them's fighting words, pilgrim. Heh.

If only there was PWADs to replace the entire Hexen game with Raven equivalent quality, I might be playing it more..

All of the games are pretty good, from what I've played. I still hope Portal of Praevus (Hexen II's expansion) and Heretic II get digital re-releases someday so everyone can have the complete collection without having to hunt down physical copies. I don't feel it's right that the first three games in the series (and Hexen I's expansion) get to be on Steam and these two are out in the cold. I mean, I can understand why-- different publisher and all-- but it's just not fair.

Speaking of Heretic II, I feel like it's a bit underrated. It's genuinely a good game, despite the perspective switch.

Edited by SonicWind

Heretic 2 is just less known, not underrated. It has pretty good reviews and competed for some awards. Same with everything in the series tbh (Although I really hate a lot of maps in vanilla hexen 2 just as much as I hate Blood 2 maps).

I didn't really like Heretic all that much, although I can't argue that it's a solid game. I do love Hexen though, it just took me a while (or a few restarts to be precise) to appreciate the game.

On 26/3/2018 at 3:21 PM, SonicWind said:

I still hope Portal of Praevus (Hexen II's expansion) and Heretic II get digital re-releases someday so everyone can have the complete collection without having to hunt down physical copies.

I mean, you don't have to. Hunting down physical copies is just the "ethical way".

I've been interested in getting into Hexen, but haven't yet. This is partly because as far as I know there aren't really any newer Hexen titles (as in titles made with Doom 3 or 4 era tech). I'm sure the older Hexen games are worth playing in their own right, but if I was able to play a newer and more polished Hexen sequel on PS3, for instance, I would be more likely to be drawn into it.

I'd kill for a Hexen 3 or Heretic 3, but the modern successor AMID EVIL looks like it'll scratch that fantasy shooter itch.

So far all I know about Hexen is every time I turn around a wall that did not stand out in any way opens up with more demons to pew pew. 

If there was some indication that the walls opened up it would make more sense, but they are just as plain as all the other walls. No special markings or scratches..

I die a lot more in Heretic than DOOM.

1 minute ago, Luci said:

If there was some indication that the walls opened up it would make more sense, but they aren't just as plain as all the other walls. No special markings or scratches..

I don't recall seeing any secret walls like that. They always have a little clue, although I admit that they can still be hard to find unless you have a sharp eye.

36 minutes ago, Luci said:

So far all I know about Hexen is every time I turn around a wall that did not stand out in any way opens up with more demons to pew pew. 

Isn't it a good thing if you are constantly surprised by monster ambushes, rather than being able to identify them in advance?

On 3/29/2018 at 10:28 AM, Vermil said:

Isn't it a good thing if you are constantly surprised by monster ambushes, rather than being able to identify them in advance?

Well, tbh it is just such a constant thing in Heretic. I do like the game, but I think DOOM had a much better balance. Maybe I just like the linear progression through the levels.

One thing I like about Heretic is the laughing voice in the background. Let's me know I'm on someone else turf... And they are watching

Yes, Heretic and Hexen are great in their own ways indeed, I consider them both evenly and solidly rated, they each succeed at what they do best, and both have their flaws, but I'll be damned if I ever stop playing them.

On ‎29‎-‎3‎-‎2018 at 5:16 AM, Reaper8888 said:

I've been interested in getting into Hexen, but haven't yet. This is partly because as far as I know there aren't really any newer Hexen titles (as in titles made with Doom 3 or 4 era tech). I'm sure the older Hexen games are worth playing in their own right, but if I was able to play a newer and more polished Hexen sequel on PS3, for instance, I would be more likely to be drawn into it.

If you're interested in playing Hexen with Doom 3 era tech, I can recommend the Hexen: Edge of Chaos mod for Doom 3.

http://hexenmod.net/downloads/

There's only a "demo" available, but it still contains a decent amount of quality maps, all packed with custom models, textures and sounds.

Love both. Hexen is still one of my favorite games. I remember getting to the first gate for the ice section of 2nd hub and getting stuck. Because I didn't realize that you could jump in Hexen. Jumping in a Doom engine game? That does not compute. 

Just now, Fulgrim said:

I remember getting to the first gate for the ice section of 2nd hub and getting stuck. Because I didn't realize that you could jump in Hexen. Jumping in a Doom engine game? That does not compute. 

Heh, that happened to me the first time too.

I have boxed physical copies of all 6 games (Heretic, Hexen, Deathkings, Hexen II, Portal of Praevus, and Heretic II).  I like the series, although some of Hexen's puzzles stumped me until I read online walkthroughs (which is a minor problem I have with more puzzle-based games).  I recently played through Heretic II a second time, this time with the enhancement pack update, which allows quick switching between third-person and pseudo first-person views among other nice improvements.

I had a boxed copy of Hexen II, but it's sitting in storage among all my other crap. I wonder how much this stuff would be worth now.

I'm Heretic/HeXeN fan. I wish for big game from top devs in the style of Heretic/HeXeN. I think this magic theme has good potential to bring new cool expirience in Deathmatches too. :> I played in new FPS games like Apocryph and Amid Evil - it's really cool shit, but big game like Doom '16 can be absolutely mind blowing.

I'm a bit dissapointed that Amid Evil and similar games have gone the Heretic route, while Hexen remains ignored.

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I had a boxed copy of Hexen II, but it's sitting in storage among all my other crap. I wonder how much this stuff would be worth now.

The Playstation version is currently priced at US$ 10.00

Sadly, the game did not reach the cult status of similar games of that era, and it has no real value to collectors. For my part, I'm clutching hold of my boxed copy, and you'll have to pry it from my yadda, yadda, yadda.

The PlayStation version of Hexen is pretty terrible.  It suffers from fewer sprite frames and a slow, jerky framerate.

The DVD case versions of Hexen II and Heretic II are very cheap (like $5-$10), while the large boxed versions are around $20-$50.

Portal of Praevus seems to be the most expensive of the Heretic/Hexen games in terms of eBay prices ($80-$100 complete).

3 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The PlayStation version of Hexen is pretty terrible.  It suffers from fewer sprite frames and a slow, jerky framerate.

And slooow scripting....

44 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

And slooow scripting....

And needing a whole memory card to save a game...and and...