Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Third Person Action Adventure Games

I am on the search for some really good action adventure games to run on my old Toshiba laptop. It has a dual core processor with I think 2gb of RAM (i'll update this info later). I prefer to play games similar to the ones listed below, this includes using the mouse to look and the keyboard to walk and strafe. I am not looking for games that are too difficult so that I can play them without dying too much. I am open to anything from the late 90's to now just as long as I can run them on that old laptop and that they don't take up too much space.

Great Action Adventure Games:

1. Heretic 2 - Has melee, magic powers, and magical bows and arrows. It has some good puzzles and platforming.
  2. Rune Classic - Played the Demo. It has melee, and rune powers. You have shields but you don't really need them.
  3. Enclave - Played the Demo, It has multiple characters each with their own abilities such as one that uses melee, one that uses bows and arrows and one that uses magic powers.
  4. Drakan: Order of the Flame - Has melee and bows and arrows. Playing as Rynn is fun crawling around in dungeons, solving puzzles and platforming through the levels. Playing as Arokh's is a blast flying around blasting everything. He is like the tank in the game.

Other Similar Games:

1. Severance: Blade of Darkness - Played the full version but this game is really hard. I find it difficult to learn how to use the combo moves with the mouse and keyboard. I don't know if I can get it to run on my PC though.
  2. Die By the Sward - I played the demo but I couldn't figure out how to control the character that efficiently. Using the mouse movement to swing the sward was very odd and cumbersome. I don't know if I can get it to run on my PC either.

Probably one of the greatest action adventure games ever made right here. I've heard bad things about the PC port, but the PS1 version is a masterpiece. 

Legacy_of_Kain-Soul_Reaver_(PC)_01.png

4 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Probably one of the greatest action adventure games ever made right here. I've heard bad things about the PC port, but the PS1 version is a masterpiece. 

Legacy_of_Kain-Soul_Reaver_(PC)_01.png

A while ago I downloaded all demos for the Legacy of Kain series, none of them worked on my PC. Either they did not launch at all or the graphics did not load, this included the menu graphics too. I think the one you mentioned was one of the latter variety. I was watching a friend play Legacy of Kain: Defiance for the original Xbox over 10 years ago. That game looked pretty good for it's time. Even though he played it on my Xbox I was not allowed to play it though. The person he was borrowing it from might of hated me for some reason. The person who played it on my Xbox was a nice person though.

Demos for older games can often times be vastly outdated and not run whereas the full up-to-date game run fine. I'd also recommend Soul Reaver, you can get it pretty easily on Steam or GOG. Watch some gameplay on YT if you're unsure about them.

Off the top of my head, Heavy Metal FAKK2, BloodRayne, Demon Stone, Prince of Persia, Urban Chaos, Project Eden, Slave Zero, and Omikron come to mind I guess when I think of older action adventure games that aren't obvious.

BloodRayne might not play nicely on your lappy, mine's got an iCore 3 @ 2.20GHz, 8 gigs of RAM and an integrated Intel graphics 5500 chip set,  and it didn't run very well. But if you are able to run it well it's fun for what it is. The sequel's a disaster though.

2 hours ago, StevenC21 said:

More of an RPG, but definitely try TES III: Morrowind.

I am not interested in RPGs at the moment but thanks.

26 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Heavy Metal FAKK2

I forgot about that one. In the demo you can cheat and use a cheat to change your characters outfit which is pretty nice.

3 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

BloodRayne might not play nicely on your lappy. The sequel's a disaster though.

I played the first game on the original Xbox but I couldn't get through it though. The second game is probably best played on a console anyways due to it's control scheme. I actually liked the second game better than the first.

A few that come to mind which haven't been mentioned.  I can't comment too strongly on compatibility, although these are older games so being too demanding is probably less of an issue, although backwards compatibility with your OS might be.

Daemon Vector while it has terrible reviews is IMO unjustly maligned to some degree.  Also a bit obscure since to the best of my knowledge it was released only in Europe and Asia.  It's not in the league of Severance/Heretic 2/Rune, the level designs are a lot more basic, but it's decent taken as a 3D throwback to games like Golden Axe.  AFAIK the cinematic cutscenes only play right on Windows XP though, but they're basic enough that you can do without them if you have to.  If you can get a decently cheap copy why not.

Dark Vengeance is another one I've heard people speak badly of, honestly I've currently only played like 10-15 minutes worth of it and it seemed fine in the beginning at least, but take it with a grain of salt.  I'll get deeper into it one of these days.

Deathtrap Dungeon is one I've played about halfway and while it's a touch clunky I kind of like it somewhat.  I'd rank it as probably the worst of these three though.  It's loosely based on the Fighting Fantasy book of the same name.  Aside from the somewhat awkward controls some people say it's "too campy" but I found it to be about the sort of "not really serious" that was enjoyable.  Creative if nothing else.  I've also heard that the PC version is better than the PSX one so you might also take that into account when looking at reviews.  If something about it seems particularly appealing to you, go ahead and check it out but I wouldn't give it a general recommendation otherwise.

It's nice to see Enclave getting some attention.  As I've said before I think it's just about the next best thing you can hope to find to another Heretic/Hexen game.

Also, Rune Classic is deeply discounted on GOG right now. Grab a deal while you can.

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER : Sale's over

Enclave: The Dark Souls before Dark Souls

Tomb Raider games. Never played them, but I guess they're good because they have a protagonist.

Two Worlds. Just to look at the scenery and not do anything else.

Morrowind: can be 3rd person

The Prince of Persia games. Especially the Sands of Time trilogy (+ Forgotten Sands).

They are more akin to platformers than anything but they do have a robust fighting system and boast some decent level design and weapon variety. Pretty fun bosses as well.

I'd recommend Ninja Gaiden Black if you have an original Xbox or an Xbox 360, but if you have a PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the next best thing. It's not an easy game (I've beaten it on Master Ninja mode... Hard difficulty is like a walk through the park now) but it is incredibly fun and rewarding and full of content. 20 something chapters for the story mode, Mission Mode with like 50 missions... it's great.

I second the Legacy of Kain games. Some of the best dialogue in games, period.

EDIT: Ah, just saw you're trying to run on a laptop... There is Star Wars: KoToR, Max Payne 2, Psi-Ops, MDK...

Edited by R4L

2 hours ago, SGS Man said:

The Prince of Persia games. Especially the Sands of Time trilogy (+ Forgotten Sands).

Beaten to the punch because I decided to have a leisurely lunch. But seconded.

PoP: Sands of Time

2 hours ago, R4L said:

I'd recommend Ninja Gaiden Black if you have an original Xbox or an Xbox 360, but if you have a PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is the next best thing. It's not an easy game (I've beaten it on Master Ninja mode... Hard difficulty is like a walk through the park now) but it is incredibly fun and rewarding and full of content. 20 something chapters for the story mode, Mission Mode with like 50 missions... it's great.

I second the Legacy of Kain games. Some of the best dialogue in games, period.

EDIT: Ah, just saw you're trying to run on a laptop... There is Star Wars: KoToR, Max Payne 2, Psi-Ops, MDK...

Oh lord the Ninja Gaiden games. They don't make games like them anymore. Add Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 to that list and you have some of the best and most challenging action games ever made. They're good enough to warrant buying a used XBox 360 and PS3.

Also OP, with your restrictions, you may be able to run Dark Souls smoothly using DSFix. It's quite hard (for newcomers) but it's extremely well-crafted as a game and experience. It's a more grandiose version of Severance: Blade of Darkness with better level design and more interesting bosses (but with slightly less nuanced combat). I believe 2 GB of RAM may be sufficient for Dark Souls 2 as well. Souls games are Action-RPGs, with a massive focus on the Action (and Adventure part).

Ones not yet mentioned but are also great are:

Outcast

American McGee's Alice

Sacrifice (More of an Action RTS but still Third Person)

Giants:Citizen Kabuto

Messiah

Evolva

Edited by vinnie245

Run Like Hell for PS2/XBOX is a criminally underrated (if admittedly cliche at times) third person sci-fi horror shooter. I can also say the same for The Suffering, another one of my favorite third person horror shooters, which does allow you to opt-in for a first person view mode also.

It isn't that great, but Apocalyptica is an early 00s third person game. It's on the Quake 3 engine and plays similar to the assault mode from UT99 with a kinda sci fi religious mix.

Beyond Good and Evil of course, I found that game very refreshing when I first played it a few years ago. They are currently working on its sequel but it's going to be a prequel and I am not sure how I feel about that, you don't play as the original main characters Jade and Pey'j in it.

Jade Empire is another good one but it's more of a fighter with different fighting styles which you can unlock and upgrade, the game also has a nice mythical ancient China theme.

Project Eden is a pretty interesting puzzle game made by developers of the earlier Tomb Raider games which has you switching between four team members with different specialties to deal with particular puzzles, the graphics may look dated but I feel they give the game a certain charm since it's based in rundown and abandoned cities and industrial zones.

Edited by Avoozl