Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unknown or Underrated First Person Shooters?

10 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

And all criticism and hatred it received is more than justified, from a wonderful game it was turned into garbage. AvP 2010, the 2000 classic, Isolation, etc. are all vastly superior titles.

I've heard that this mod makes the game 100x better and actually pretty good. I can't speak to that as I haven't tried it personally.

F.E.A.R. Perseus mandate is a ton of fun but has horrid scores for some reason, they again I can imagine some of the enemies getting people to ragequit.

25 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

And all criticism and hatred it received is more than justified, from a wonderful game it was turned into garbage. AvP 2010, the 2000 classic, Isolation, etc. are all vastly superior titles.

Did you play the wonderful game?

AvP 2010 was enjoyable... I'll add that to the underrated list.

I still think Blood is the most underrated shooter of all time. Not enough people talk about it outside of modding circles.

I have a soft spot for Killing Time and PO'ed, although PO'ed is the more playable of the two.

Killing Time was an FMV game that did FMV right: the videos were fun to watch and, besides the intro and outro, integrated into the game world itself in the form of ghostly party guests re-enacting the last day of their lives. Above is a video of two former Studio 3DO employees playing the game and talking behind-the-scenes stuff as they go. Great channel for 3DO enthusiasts.

header%202.png

PO'ed has been called "Under Siege in Space", mostly because you play a cook who kicks ass on a hijacked ship (and tons of weird alien environments). Has an insane arsenal and a weird array of monsters to fight.

I interviewed programmers of both games for their respective fan sites. Lots of cool behind-the-scenes info.

52 minutes ago, geo said:

Did you play the wonderful game?

AvP 2010 was enjoyable... I'll add that to the underrated list.

Nope, no one did anyway. I don't see your point.

Now on the question of the topic, The Darkness II. Far, far too few people tried it out or even were aware of its existence. Sure, it was a little more linear than the first (console exclusive) game and shorter, but for its length it absolutely delivered. It looked (and still does) awesome, has top notch voice acting, great music and atmosphere, good gunplay, but again it felt short due to its length.

To make matters even worse, it's probably safe to assume this franchise is unfortunately dead. The game was supposed to be continued with at least one story DLC (the menu entry is still there from what I remember since the last time I played it) but it got canned after the game has proven to be a commercial (though certainly not critical) failure. Very unlikely its world will ever be revisited... what a shame...

In Memoriam Jackie...

Not mentionend yet, as far as I could see: Clive Barker's Undying

Nice horror FPS with some adventure-like parts mixed in.

And also thumbs up from me for Outlaws.

48 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Nope, no one did anyway. I don't see your point.

I played Aliens: Colonial Marines through twice. Its not wonderful, but you brought up how it was once a wonderful game. Lots of people pointed out that the E3 demo looked for better than the real game. So I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

There was a single sequence in Colonial Marines that made the experience worth it, true classic material worthy of the original films in tension. It was a smallish room bathed sparsely in crimson, with a single alien attacking largely through breaches in ceiling and wall integrity. Loved it. Lasted about 5 minutes. They should have shipped that room and left the rest of the game out. The boss fight with the forklift vs queen is probably the single most ill-tested experience of scrutinizing frustration I've ever paid money to experience.

Alien Isolation ain't bad btw, though it does drag on a bit.

5 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

"Dust" is considered to be a good game by those who know about this game. It's more known by it's original title "pył"

I've heard of that game. I can't get it running though.

Another one came to mind right now. Not that great for single- but a blast for multiplayer games: Rune (Vikings, Norse mythology, etc.)

Though I have to admit you mostly play it in 3rd person perspective. That works a lot better, when fighting with swords and axes.

15 hours ago, Impie said:

I still think Blood is the most underrated shooter of all time. Not enough people talk about it outside of modding circles.

Killing Time ...

Agreed, about Blood. It oozes atmosphere, and has a relentless protagonist. [My biggest complaint was how the game would occasionally crash when the player is underwater and uses the shotgun (I believe) while being attacked by the piranha-type fish. I think it had something to do with the sound reverb.]

I always kick myself for not buying Killing Time when it was in the bargain bin at Best Buy. At this point, I'm done collecting games, otherwise I'd look for it on the interwebs.

19 hours ago, Average said:

SHOGO - I still don't understand why this game failed in the market.  Such a fun and fresh game even now.

Because it's an unfinished, unfair, buggy ugly mess that has a hard mode you can't even beat legitimately.

Yeah I remember the escapades of the S/O trying to take on MADNESS difficulty and laughing my ass off. It really IS broken. Then I went to try the game on just Hard and I was actually having a very good time and he looked pissed off rofl. I'm something of a Shogo fanboy, as if such an unusual specimen actually exists.

57 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Because it's an unfinished, unfair, buggy ugly mess that has a hard mode you can't even beat legitimately.

It's not buggy and unfinished.

33 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

It's not buggy and unfinished.

Uh, yes it is. It very clearly is at that.

I'm a big fan of Clive Barker's Undying, used to play it every October to get in the Halloween mood. Great setting/atmosphere, some unique locales, and an interesting (if somewhat gimmicky) combat system, where you wield weapons with one hand and magic abilities with the other. I've been working with the texture set in some recent Doom maps, which I quite like.

The Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET had a fully 3D environment slightly before Quake, a huge arsenal with ballistic and energy versions of each weapon tier plus grenades, and a solid franchise behind it (which makes it extremely unlikely to ever be re-released).

Shogo is by far one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played. It looks cheap, it feels cheap, the voice acting is mediocre at best, the Dojinshi artwork is amateurish, the in-game character models are grotesque looking, the hit/collision detection are off, the engine is flimsy, the critical hit system makes fights random and unbalanced, the level design is simplistic, The AI is stupid yet has inhuman reaction times, and the story, characters and dialogue are all cliched and without any depth. There's also an obvious plot twist that can be seen coming a mile away. Never in my life have I been so happy to have been locked out of a game due to a game breaking bug. Just an all round pathetic excuse for a video game, bereft of any level of polish, imagination, or talent. 

Edited by Ajora

I like the dumb story, most of the characters, the setting is cool, I like the atmosphere, great soundtrack too, some genuinely funny moments as well (at least to me) and for the most part nice weapons with some great particle fx. But yeah the gameplay falls flat, MCA levels aren't real mechs it's all a facade, while on-foot levels are generally unfair and dominate the vast majority of the game. The anime theme is under baked however and just feels tacked on. I'm still kinda annoyed we never got a sequel too.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:30 PM, xvertigox said:

• Requiem: Avenging Angel

Ahhh I hated this one. I had such high hopes for the concept; doom/quake gunplay mixed with hexen spellcasting, the catholic mythology "god is sleeping and angels are vying for dominance" theme. The execution was so, so amazingly bad though. It makes me wonder if there have been any other fps to mix gunplay/magic or deal with religion/angels, I still seem to have that hole in my soul.

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Did we play the same game @The-Heretic-Assassin? Shogo is super buggy and glitchy and crash happy and unpolished AF, just like Blood II. Same engine, even sharing some of the same damn files.

No, but from I saw it doesn't seem bad. Game came out before Titanfall and it did mechs.

Marathon - I've played with Aleph One back in 2011, It felt like a dead memory since I haven't seen much people playing the online multiplayer anymore last time I checked.

Strife - I've beaten the single player since I bought the Veteran Edition, But I didn't focus so much on it.

@The-Heretic-Assassin So you never actually played it then. Trust me, playing is a much different experience from viewing, and while it technically does do mechs, it's not very well done, so alas faked with the scaling of city maps and slightly different classes that dictate player strength and speed.

Pretty obscure games:

H.U.R.L.

Legend of the seven paladins

Witchaven

Terminal Velocity

17 hours ago, Gez said:

The Terminator: Future Shock/SkyNET

I've played a demo of this game ages ago, it was cool even with the descent-ish fell of navigating with a floating vehicle instead of having a normal person that moves normally.... Is that game based upon the descent engine?

15 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Terminal Velocity

Another childhood game.

While on this subject, another obscure game I played back then was Hi-Octane.