Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unknown or Underrated First Person Shooters?

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Is that game based upon the descent engine?

Not at all, it was an in-house engine that also powers Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, and a couple of rather obscure car racing games.

They also used it for a prototype for Morrowind, but changed to NetImmerse for the actual game. That's why in some old magazines you had preview screenshots that didn't at all look like how the game ended up.

Also Battlespire was originally going to be an expansion for Daggerfall but it ending up being its own standalone game under the title of An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire.

Prey (2017) is excellent. It’s more akin to the System Shock games than the earlier Prey games.

12 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

.... the descent-ish fell of navigating with a floating vehicle instead of having a normal person that moves normally....

While I was initially thrilled to play a "truly" 3D game, with motion permitted along all 3 axes, I quickly became disillusioned with the controls (which, at that time were pretty much keyboard based for me). Using a joystick, or even a mouse, would likely have made a huge difference.

Also, I didn't have the patience to overcome my constant disorientation. [Don't send me on a mission to Mars. I'll probably end up on Venus.]

On 3/23/2018 at 6:13 AM, ReX said:

I always kick myself for not buying Killing Time when it was in the bargain bin at Best Buy. At this point, I'm done collecting games, otherwise I'd look for it on the interwebs.

I had a hell of a time finding Killing Time for PC when i was younger, and eventually stumbled across it at Bookman's by amazing luck. Years later I became a 3DO enthusiast and played the original version, which I think is generally superior: it looks nicer and the levels aren't as cramped and overpopulated, even though they're just mazes.

And the clowns were scarier.

14 hours ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Black for the PS2 was pretty good too.

Never played the game myself, but it's a title I'll never forget. I once spent about an hour stoned and drunk watching my friend's roommate intently trying to beat the first level on what I'm pretty sure was easy mode. He never did.

13 hours ago, Impie said:

Years later I became a 3DO enthusiast and played the original version, which I think is generally superior: it looks nicer and the levels aren't as cramped and overpopulated, even though they're just mazes.

I understand that the 3DO system was quite pricey. I'm guessing you bought the system when you became a 3DO enthusiast. May I ask you what price you paid?

6 hours ago, ReX said:

I understand that the 3DO system was quite pricey. I'm guessing you bought the system when you became a 3DO enthusiast. May I ask you what price you paid?

It probably cost me $60.

Their plan was to lower the price over time by having multiple companies produce 3DO systems (or something like that), but they couldn't get fast enough results, so it remained pricey long enough for better systems to beat it out. Sony's tactic worked better: release the playstation at about 1/3 the production price, and make up the loss in software sales.

The shame of it is, the 3DO has the best graphics display of all home consoles prior to, like, Xbox. If you play 3DO on a modern hi-res flatscreen, the games look as good now as they did then. Even the N64 and PS1 look wonky on modern screens.

Radix: Beyond the Void. You control a space ship and go around levels destroying alien ships and completing objectives (which usually involves blowing something up). It's like Descent in a 2.5D engine; it uses sprites and you don't have 6DOF (the flight system is like what you get with Hexen's Wings of Wrath). Still, the combat is really damn fun, and I'm kinda surprised that no one ever seems to talk about it.

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Radix: Beyond the Void. You control a space ship and go around levels destroying alien ships and completing objectives (which usually involves blowing something up). It's like Descent in a 2.5D engine; it uses sprites and you don't have 6DOF (the flight system is like what you get with Hexen's Wings of Wrath). Still, the combat is really damn fun, and I'm kinda surprised that no one ever seems to talk about it.

Interesting.

Isn't Radix the game that features a room like E1M1 of Doom?

But then I suppose that's not particularly special; Corridor 7 has a DM map with the layout of E1M1 for instance.

1 hour ago, Vermil said:

Isn't Radix the game that features a room like E1M1 of Doom?

I think it is. It isn't surprising, really, the Doom inspirations are pretty obvious. It even has 3 episodes with 9 levels each, one of them being a secret.

Bulletstorm was a really fun fps from a few years ago that wound up not doing so well and probably isn't as well-known at this point. Probably due to the voice acting, or more-so the... edgy things said. That noted, it is kinda funny to hear the voice of Spike and Wolverine say those lines, but much of the dialogue is lost in the 90s with Duke, which is unfortunate because the story is somewhat well-done and is really aided by the beautifully crafted, dynamic, immerseful environments.

All that aside, the gameplay (and aesthetics; the game was beautiful) portion of the game was tons of fun and showed so much potential. The main draw of the game was that upgrades throughout the campaign were earned through skill points, which were earned by killing enemies in certain, occasionally creative ways, such as turning them into a ceiling fan via drill gun, kicking an enemy in the air, killing a second enemy, then killing the first before he hits the ground, as well as other multikill chains, or environmental kills like sticking them to a cactus. These were aided by the kick, slide, and leash mechanics. Many of these could be combined together to get even more points, making the game somewhat arcade-ish and more about killing the enemies in creative ways than about just surviving and getting through it. 

Unfortunately this wasn't capitalized on enough wrt replay value. It's a lot of fun to play through the campaign a couple times, especially that second run because you actually know what you're doing points/kills-wise, and there are some really fun encounters in beautifully crafted environments throughout the campaign worth replaying, but after that you're left with playing segments of the campaign for high scores on a leaderboard, or a severely mucked up mp game mode. 

The mp game mode would have been much better received if it weren't the only mp game mode offered. In it, players cooperate compete counteroperate against waves of enemies. Each wave, more enemies come and they get tougher; the points you earn from kills you can use to buy guns and ammo, which resets after each new match, meaning you start from scratch each overall match. All this is well and good, but the problem comes in that each new wave also has a progressively increasing point requirement to move on to the next wave and not lose, so the result is that you have a bunch of players not working as a team, each trying so hard to kill as much as possible on their own that they kill for low scores and thus the team soon fails and everybody loses, let's go back to matchmaking. A bit of testing on the dev's part should have revealed this major issue, and unfortunately the best fix would be what they clearly didn't have time to do: flesh out the mp. A deathmatch mode is practically begging for this game, as well as a coop campaign mode, and some variants on the already included mode, such as not requiring a score and just letting it be waves til death, etc.

Still, it's a very pretty game I had a ton of fun with on the gameplay side of things, so I'd recommend it to others. Or if you like the edgelord, 90s dialogue, watch a play through some time and be ready to either laugh or be offended, because they say some pretty terrible things, especially the main bad guy. That said, most of the interactions between the player character and his best friend/the other guy who's with you the whole game were well-done and some were just cute, so even that isn't 100% bad.

Tl;dr the 2 biggest drawbacks of this game are its replay value and its edgy dialogue, everything else was fantastic and worth checking out.

Necrovision (basically the good version of Bulletstorm)

Undying (the coolest FPS in the Half-Life school of heavily scripted design ever)

I played about 45 minutes of Necrovision back in 2015 or so and it was awful for me. The game feel, moving around, it was just such ass it was unbelievable. Interesting ideas, but it just came off like a poorman's Painkiller.

It's really nothing like Painkiller at all, though.  It's more like some sort of cross between RTCW + Bulletstorm + Undying + some classic FPS that doesn't have bunny hopping or straferunning.

most people i think categorise Deus Ex as a first person RPG, considering you can play the whole game without actually shooting people.

Zero Tolerance on Megadrive. Good concept, good try, still too much for Megadrive.

Escape from Monster Manor on 3DO. This one I can barely remember. Pity that the disc is busted and I don't have a working gamepad for 3DO.

9 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Deus Ex 1. It's in the top 20 best games ever and no one ever names the game.

It gets listed off all the time, especially on forums like this.

10 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Deus Ex 1. It's in the top 20 best games ever and no one ever names the game.

Deus Ex is the exact opposite of unknown or underrated.

Last week there was premiere of Project Warlock, it's a great young FPS. I recommend it if you're searching or like FPS like Duke, Hexen or Shadow Warrior.