Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unknown or Underrated First Person Shooters?

List some fps games that aren't well known or are underrated.

Marathon series

Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter

Dark Arena

Strife

XIII

Body Count

Timeshift

• The original Unreal (now Unreal: Gold) got vastly overshadowed by the later multiplayer titles.
  • Singularity is a title that went under many people's radars, I've heard lots of good things about it. Still hanging in my wishlist due to a huge backlog.
  • E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is a bizarre Source engine FPS RPG mix that enjoys some niche appeal. You gain Brozouf.
  • Painkiller is a bretty gud horde shooter, think Serious Sam with darker atmosphere.
  • No One Lives Forever is a fun and vibrant series that hasn't been rereleased on Steam or GOG, but...there are... places. *ahem*
  • Betrayer is one I've beaten a couple of months ago. Made by ex-Monolith guys. It's super flawed, but damn does it have quite an amazing atmosphere as well as some interesting mechanics that help create it. Play with good headphones for maximum immersion.
  • Dino D-Day is like TF2, but set during WWII. With dinosaurs as some of the classes. Some of which have mounted machine guns and big ass cannons. Damn fun, but unfortunately bleeding out (double digit player numbers lately).

Hopefully these are obscure enough.

I've got a whole load at home so I'll link the pastebin after work.

In the mean time:

• The Terminator: Rampage
  • Super 3D Noah's Ark (Less so in recent years since the Steam release)
  • Outlaws
  • X-Men: The Ravages of Apocalypse (idtech2 game)
  • Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
  • Requiem: Avenging Angel
  • NOLF/NOLF 2 (Pinnacle of underrated IMO. People who have played them love them and the series deserves so, so much more)
  • Gunman Chronicles
  • Global Operations
  • Tactical Ops
  • Project Snowblind (Proto deus ex - highly recommended)
  • Chaser
  • Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
  • Postal 2
  • Prey (2006)

Edited by xvertigox : Added pastebin

Mercenary, Amiga - 1985

Trex Warrior, Amiga - 1991

Black Crypt, Amiga - 1992 (more a dungeon-crawler RPG than an FPS, but made by Raven Software so I find it relevant)

Devil Daggers, PC - 2016

39 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

BTW Dark Arena for GBA used a modified Jaguar version of the Doom engine.

Really? Cool!

I'd say its more obscure than underrated, but I guess I'll throw this in here too (clunkiest name ever, should have named it "KISS of Death" I guess)

Eradicator seems a bit unknown/underrated to me.  A bit like a mixture of aspects of Hexen and Duke 3D with a few twists of its own.

CyClones was kind of interesting too, although it used one of those RoTT/Shadowcaster style engines where there was vertical movement but the levels were still built of blocks.

Also seconding Chasm: The Rift, it was pretty cool despite the limitations of the engine and occasional questionable level design choices / Quake-ish annoying puzzle bosses.

4 hours ago, MrD!zone said:

Z.A.R and it's sequel that nobody knows about.

I knew it had an expansion pack that only got released in Russian to the best of my knowledge, but yeah I didn't know there was a sequel.  Also a Russian only release I guess?

Outlaws by LucasArts. That was always one of my favorites and it had one of the best OST of any game I've ever played.

Far Cry Primal.

It didn't get as much popularity as Far Cry 4, and not many people played it for some reason. It's a masterpiece and totally worth playing!

Alien Breed 3D (Amiga) - Either ignored or dismissed as a 'poor man's Doom'.  I reckon it's a technical marvel and has a great, eerie atmosphere of its own.

Serious Sam II (PC) - Even the Serious Sam community dislike this game... It happens to be my favourite in the series.

Heretic (PC) - Again, often overlooked or dismissed as a 'poor man's Doom'.  Taken on its own merits and played without comparison its a great game.

Chasm: The Rift - I had so much fun with this game way back when my P200 was still alive.

SHOGO - I still don't understand why this game failed in the market.  Such a fun and fresh game even now.

:)

"Dust" is considered to be a good game by those who know about this game. It's more known by it's original title "pył"

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike
Rise of Triad
Corridor 7
Chasm: The Rift
Hexen and Heretic, hehe :)

and Unreal II is one of the most underrated FPS in a gaming history, IMO. 

44 minutes ago, Chamelenoel said:

"Dust" is considered to be a good game by those who know about this game. It's more known by it's original title "pył"

I'd love to find a copy of that game.

2 minutes ago, Oddball Wizard said:

Unreal II is one of the most underrated FPS in a gaming history, IMO. 

I like Unreal 2 as it lets you get another dose of Unreal SP and XMP got ported to UT2k4. That being said god damn is the gameplay shit. The guns feel so bad. I haven't played in long enough to comment on the level design but I remember that being pretty average. Any mods you'd recommend or should I just give it another shot?

Just now, xvertigox said:

I like Unreal 2 as it lets you get another dose of Unreal SP and XMP got ported to UT2k4. That being said god damn is the gameplay shit. The guns feel so bad. I haven't played in long enough to comment on the level design but I remember that being pretty average. Any mods you'd recommend or should I just give it another shot?

I'd say give it another shot. There's not much maps and mods for it, and the majority of it don't even worth playing. Expanded multiplayer addon is the only thing that I really enjoyed (outside the original).

Haven't there been a few of these threads?

Legendary is underrated and feels unjustifiably hated.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is underrated considering everyone hates it. It has the same flaws as Mass Effect 1. Stupid AI, fighting humans and Xenomorphs.

E.Y.E. is overrated.
Vampires: The Mascaraed can be a first player shooter.

Ominous Horizons: A Paladin's Calling
More obscure than underrated. To me it's "so bad it's good" in quality. The plot is dumb, and the voice acting can be bad, but it'll sure amuse. TBH the music is the best part of the game.

25 minutes ago, geo said:

Aliens: Colonial Marines is underrated considering everyone hates it.

And all criticism and hatred it received is more than justified, from a wonderful game it was turned into garbage. AvP 2010, the 2000 classic, Isolation, etc. are all vastly superior titles.