Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lee Killough

Jim Flynn

During 91/92 he said he had developed a PC strategy game, does anyone know what it was? Wasn't dune or something was it?

Interested to find out.

I couldn't believe the news, when I saw this thread for the first time. But now I should accept the fact that we lost one of the best doom community members. Looking back at my reviews of Eternal Doom for Megawad Club, it was unfortunate that I was not a fan of progressions of his levels, similar to some other levels of Eternal Doom. But I did admire the concepts and environmental designs of his levels, under the limitation of vanilla doom. His level had interesting elements, such as lost souls on the cooker and a security puzzle with morse code. I believe that his level represented the entire wad so well; it had difficult progression to solve, but other things were really good and enjoyable. And I must say that the CyberSweeper, also known as CSWEEPER.WAD, was definitely the best extra content for doom mod that I will never forget.

I want to thank @fraggle, who reminded us that Jim designed most of generalized actions of boom source port. It's been twenty years, and we're still using Jim's generalized actions for countless, well-designed boom-compatible levels. Just think about lots of interesting things that we can do with voodoo-doll-conveyor script. Rest in peace, Jim. And thank you for what you made for us.

I'm deep into making a mega-non-linear Boom map now and will definitely be including a little tribute to Jim somewhere now. I'm mostly familiar with him for his involvement with Boom itself and my general impression of his mapping style, which I know has influenced some of my favorite mappers. Haven't spent as much time with the source material, but let's just say I plan to spend some major time trying to figure out how to get to that one damn switch this weekend :) Hope Jim would approve.

He was one of a handful true doom legends i knew by name before i even had an internet connection back in the nineties.

With the Ty Halderman and him passing away, i realize how old i am, and how long i am addicted to that game.

And the impact of these guys goes far over the boundaries of this little community. Infact they had an influence on the whole gaming industry, be it they was an inspiration to a new generation of game designers, or even some of them started their career in this business.

They helped making doom what it is today, one of the longest lasting success in gaming history.

Such a shame to lose another huge person in our community and somebody who has done so much to advance the game and bring us to where we are today, but good that he lived a long life. Rest in peace Jim; you'll always be a legend to me.

Doom will never die! Only the players. May he rest in piece. Another good one gone.

Thank you Jim for all the hard work you did!!! An amazing person.

RIP Jim. Your maps were a source of inspiration for many, myself included, and you were one of the pioneers of a fantastic source port. 

Very sad news, I know that his maps had mixed opinions, but it is fair to say that they were never boring. Another legend from the past lost.

This is sad news. I had been hearing about his deteriorating health over the years, but you still hope for the best. My condoleances to his next of kin, and thanks to @Lee Killough for informing us.

Sad news indeed. Rightfully legendary, as much for his work on Boom as for the pioneering and memorable puzzle maps he made.

For years we've had a local saying during cooperative bouts; when stuff becomes heavily puzzle oriented we refer to it as the map "Flynning up". Perhaps a testament to how solving a Jim Flynn map the first time around was a memorable and satisfying experience, quite different from the usual.

Condolences to the people who knew him, and thank you for informing us, Lee.

I'm very sorry to hear this. He was de facto my favorite Doom author. I lobbied for him for subsequent Espi awards but I didn't push hard enough during discussion. I was actually in the middle of backfilling screenshots for his Titan series when I read this. Thank you, @Lee Killough. Rest in peace, Jim.

Edited by kmxexii

I remember playing his Master Levels. Some of the best levels in the set. He was truly a talented man. It's deeply saddening that such a beloved figure in this community has passed away.

Jim, your contributions will forever be remembered. Rest in piece.

Jim Flynn's Enigma Episode was one of the first PWADs I played. It was the first PWAD I liked so much that I had to play more levels by its author. I'm sad to hear that he's gone.

My condolences to his family.

Highly highly recommend that folks check out his random pwads on the archives, there's way more to Flynn than the Master Levels

37 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

Highly highly recommend that folks check out his random pwads on the archives, there's way more to Flynn than the Master Levels

Interdiction Zone - awesome

The enormous Oracle, with Scott Harper - awesome

The Enigma Episode, where he converted his old Doom levels pre-INTZONE to Doom II, one of which is shown in Vorpal's linked video - freakin' awesome

Titan Manor and Trapped on Titan, criminally only available in commercial packages - awesome

Mines of Titan - awesome

Titan Anomaly - awesome

The Farside of Titan - awesome

Trouble on Titan - awesome

His three theme maps from Eternal Doom and Cysweeper - freakin' awesome

I'm glazing over the interesting proof-of-concept Surrounded! but basically I adore Jim Flynn's level design, not to mention how helpful he was to community members based on the .TXTs of authors like Bob Evans and Lisa Moore and also his work with Boom which helped to indefinitely extend this community's lifespan.

Edited by kmxexii

4 hours ago, Lee Killough said:

Jim was 66 years old.

He suffered two strokes, the last of which occurred around 6.5 years ago, and his health went steadily downhill.

For the last two years, he had been living in an assisted living facility.

I'll let you know when I find out more information.

Oh, what a shame. Strokes are bad news. Thanks, Lee, for letting everyone know. You and Jim, and the rest of the team brought such innovation and joy to so many. It's yet another reminder to celebrate each other with the time we're given.

ohhhhhhhh i never played these maps , the next wad what will I play is master levels 

other legend fall

Sad to see big name members pass away. My condolences to his family and friends.

I should play all of his levels one of these days.

I'm right there with @kmxexii I've always been taken by his unorthodox map design and puzzles. I always remember this being one of the earlier of funny comments I'd seen in a text file (from Enigma):

* Bugs I've Known *

I once had a pet spider named Hilbert...

I don't mind sharing that I did play through his wads back in 2010 including the Titan series and Enigma:

He was just an all-around cool guy.