Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

A couple of questions to all owners of the Master Levels

Answer the questions below!  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a physical copy of the levels or digital?

• Physical copy
    • Digital copy
  2. 2. Do you load the maps the original way that they intended, or do you just drag the given files over source port applications?

• Going into DOS/DOSbox and loading them, classic style
    • Drag the WAD files over source port applications

I would have left the second question blank because I don't actually do either of those things... I bought the game on Steam and after attempting to play the maps through the completely broken DOSBOX prompt it comes with and not wanting to drag-drop each individual PWAD every time I load the game I instead literally opened all the individual maps in Doombuilder and spliced them together into the same PWAD.

For some reason MAP10 would always refuse to stay saved and I would need to repeatedly re-add it to the PWAD. I named the spliced PWAD "MasterDoom2.wad"

Obviously it's not a very clean compilation of the maps, but I found the fact that the Steam release didn't get similar treatment to the version available on PSN criminal.

I have a physical copy, and I played them through Doom95. All I had to do there was click the pull-down menu and select them one by one and play them. I replayed them through ZDoom when I recorded them to my channel, and all my wad files open with ZDoom already by default, so not exactly either of the latter options.

WADs + Other (Compiling them into a single playable mapset w/ MAPINFO) and using a front end.

Couldn't you just add them to one wad file with SLADE or something

iirc it just means either dropping mephisto (which sucks) or making a secret in bloodsea inaccessible.

@guitardzYou're probably thinking of Blzut3's tool, which included a level arrangement I picked out -- this was before PSN's Doom Classic Complete release gave the Master Levels a proper order, so the only "official" level orderings at the time were garbage alphabetic arrangements.

Nowadays, WadSmoosh is the way to go. It even includes the "Xaser order" as a choice, which is flattering. :)

28 minutes ago, Girl of Satan said:

Couldn't you just add them to one wad file with SLADE or something

iirc it just means either dropping mephisto (which sucks) or making a secret in bloodsea inaccessible.

You could, but using a utility to do it is like 10 seconds faster...i'm lazy.

28 minutes ago, Xaser said:

@guitardzYou're probably thinking of Blzut3's tool, which included a level arrangement I picked out -- this was before PSN's Doom Classic Complete release gave the Master Levels a proper order, so the only "official" level orderings at the time were garbage alphabetic arrangements.

Nowadays, WadSmoosh is the way to go. It even includes the "Xaser order" as a choice, which is flattering. :)

Yea, that's right, I used your map order with that.  I'll probably check out the WadSmoosh, if I compile a superwad with it will it let me use Maps of Chaos with that?

Gathering them into one vanilla compatible wad would also mean some of them not having the intended skies, I'm pretty sure. But for ZDoom, I can shamelessly promote my version, Master Levels Plus. So called because it includes several non-commercial wads that are officially connected to the commercial ones in one way or another. The wall of text past the link has more details.

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

if I compile a superwad with it will it let me use Maps of Chaos with that?

Yes, you can use maps and mods with the IWAD like you would with the official (unmodified :)) IWADs. The map names for Ultimate Doom are still the usual EXMX and Doom 2 (Listed as Hell on Earth on the episodes menu of the IWAD) still uses MAPXX map names. Basically, you can go from the Maps of Chaos version of E1M1 to said version of MAP01 without having to quit and load another IWAD. Because of that, I feel too lazy to even quit my game and launch another IWAD. :)

Had a physical copy back in my psx days, now i do all the loading part with the ZDoom launcher. Like to use chocolate and sometimes prboom with the old wads.

Still have the CD. Never play them any more, though.

When I did play them, I used MS DOS.

They are just pwads. Load them the same way you would any pwads. It's not rocket surgery.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

It's not rocket surgery.

And it's certainly not brain science.