Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

The official "invictius is trying to find very specific wads" thread (Ban/spam avoidance attempt)

Recommended Posts

I don't think it's the height. In my even more noob days, I made "Tall ceilings, the wad" and was able to successfully run it on a 512MB RAM Desktop.

Share this post


Link to post

Seeing as it's a first gen i7 Lynnfield, I would hope you're at least running triple channel memory to get the most out of a 9 year old processor. Even then, it should have no issue running this WAD.

Edited by R4L

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/20/2018 at 11:05 PM, R4L said:

Seeing as it's a first gen i7 Lynnfield, I would hope you're at least running triple channel memory to get the most out of a 9 year old processor. Even then, it should have no issue running this WAD.

 

I don't think I've ever seen a board that has 6 ram slots.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, invictius said:

 

I don't think I've ever seen a board that has 6 ram slots.

 

That's not what that means, although there are boards with that many slots. A lot of server boards in industrial and military settings can have up to but not limited to 12 DIMM slots. Here's a board my job makes that supports up to 144GB of RAM over 12 DIMMs.

 

Triple channel means 3 DIMM slots running triple the memory bandwidth.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, R4L said:

 

That's not what that means, although there are boards with that many slots. A lot of server boards in industrial and military settings can have up to but not limited to 12 DIMM slots. Here's a board my job makes that supports up to 144GB of RAM over 12 DIMMs.

 

Triple channel means 3 DIMM slots running triple the memory bandwidth.

 

Said system requires 16gb ram, I have 4 dimms but am guessing quad channel wasn't a thing until ddr4.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, invictius said:

Is the excessive height the main reason this wad tanks the fps in gzdoom, on a crappy computer?

 

 

Run it in software mode, not OpenGL? Or use PRboom+.

Share this post


Link to post

Was there ever a height limit in vanilla?  Was just playing the vinesauce wad with ridiculous height differences and it made me wonder about vanilla.  I believe @Enjay mentioned in NJ_SOH a height difference in the pyramids level being a big deal back then.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, invictius said:

Any maps that use the "kill cyb without weapons" premise that Cyberdreams was so good at?

Not quite, but here's something you may find interesting:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Not quite, but here's something you may find interesting:

 

Quote

it's not really meant for ZDoom punching mechanics.  

 

Zdoom punching mechanics are different to vanilla/boom?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes. Boom and the vanilla engine read actor collision differently from how ZDoom does. They look at the center of the thing and register collision only for that, which could result in the well-known blockmap bug, in which a thing didn't "exist" in the blockmap because it was in two different blocks at once when standing on an edge. ZDoom fixed this by considering the volume of space (radius^2 * height) the monster occupied when checking for collision. This means that monsters like cyberdemons, masterminds, fatsos, and arachnotrons are much easier to hit (infinitely so with the fist) than in vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/29/2018 at 9:22 AM, invictius said:

Was there ever a height limit in vanilla?  Was just playing the vinesauce wad with ridiculous height differences and it made me wonder about vanilla.  I believe @Enjay mentioned in NJ_SOH a height difference in the pyramids level being a big deal back then.

 

There was no hard limit in vanilla other than that dictated by the numerical limits of signed 16 bit integers (minimum -16383, maximum +16384), but for various reasons the game struggled with very tall areas.  In early versions there was the Moiré effect, and in all versions there was the numeric overflow crash, which would cause parts of the memory to be overwritten and corrupted, resulting either in weird visual effects or the program crashing outright, depending on the part of memory affected.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, LHSpanner said:

There was no hard limit in vanilla other than that dictated by the numerical limits of signed 16 bit integers (minimum -16383, maximum +16384),

 

Wouldn't that be -32,768 to +32,767?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Linguica said:

 

Wouldn't that be -32,768 to +32,767?

Yes, it would.  My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post

I made a joke wad where the player had to fall down a pit that was lowered to the exact maximum it could be without the engine crashing. It still causes HOMs and in GZDoom Builder some incredible weird texture stretching artifacts occasionally occur.

Share this post


Link to post

What's the framerate of the shotgun animation?  I was looking at a vanilla playthrough on a 386 at the same time as playing zdoom, and they both looked just as laggy.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, invictius said:

What's the framerate of the shotgun animation?

Open the iWAD in SLADE, check how many frames are involved with firing a shotgun, look at how long the animation is in real time, and then you know the "framerate".

Share this post


Link to post

Does 3fps on an old 386 with vanilla look just as jerky as 3fps on a demanding gzdoom wad?

 

I like putting old systems through the wringer with benchmarks but I could just up the resolution of my low-end geforce instead.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, Edward850 said:

Considering Doom.wad was ~11MB and designed to run on 4MB of RAM, you already know the answer to this question.

 

Someone said it only loads the resources it needs for the current map.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×