Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Why do people around here get mad when somone bumps an old thread?

I don't get it why is it a bad thing? It seems better to me than seeing multiple threads with the same idea, observation, or question.

I think the type of necropost most people refer to is one in a thread for a much-anticipated project that's been quiet for a while. People see the thread pop up and think there's an update but it turns out to be some guy asking if it's done yet.

People just like to say "you broke the rules!" because then they feel powerful for a short moment.

maybe they were following the thread ages ago and forgot to unfollow it and got angry entering a thread they already read?

If there is a rule against necrobumping there should be a rule against low effort "nice necro" replies instead of reporting. Especially when a thread looks fine and that stupid reply stops many people from daring to reply.

Dragonfly definitely hit the nail in the head with that one. There's nothing worse than seeing a new post in a thread, only to find out that the thread is as old as fuck and the replier didn't add any contribution to said thread.

Because we play shoot things for fun?

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

"Good" necroposting is fine. By good, I specifically mean when the post that caused the bump is meaningful and of value. So, when it adds to the conversation in a meaningful way or prompts the conversation to reoccur with modern viewpoints and meaningful results etc I'm personally totally fine with it - but from what I see most necroposts are newer people making posts of next-to-no-value.

I'm sure you've seen it before, something like a 5+ year old thread suddenly at the top of the chain because someone with a post count of 4 said "lol I agree".

Otherwise it's not really a bad thing!

^ pretty much this.

I've used many forums over the years. The general theme is people get pissed when an old topic is brought back without good reason.

Just a heads up, I've gotten a warning for necroposting, and I feel that I contributed meaningfully to the topic being discussed. I've never understood the ire for necromancy, but the mods here don't feel the same. 

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm sure you've seen it before, something like a 5+ year old thread suddenly at the top of the chain because someone with a post count of 4 said "lol I agree".

Lol, I've done this.  I didn't realize how old the post was when I did it.  I got a warning and was like "Oh shit, when was that post from."  I am still learning forum ettiquette.  DW is my first real venture into forum culture in the 20+ years I've been internetting.

34 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Just a heads up, I've gotten a warning for necroposting, and I feel that I contributed meaningfully to the topic being discussed. I've never understood the ire for necromancy, but the mods here don't feel the same. 

There was an old dead thread about a Youtube channel, and you bumped it to offer your opinion that you thought the channel was stupid.

6 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I don't get it why is it a bad thing?

When an old thread gets resurrected, I sometimes personally find it jarring and unsettling. I think there are two main reasons:

1. I'm forgetful (as is everyone) and don't remember the detail of every single post I've ever made on these forums. So when a thread gets resurrected I can unexpectedly see posts by myself, saying something that I don't remember saying.
  2. People come and go from the forums. If you go back to a thread from 10 years ago you'll see a different set of names and avatars than you'll see today. It's strange to see people who have left the forums "posting again".

Just like @Dragonfly I'm not entirely opposed to bumping old threads but I feel like there's a "cost" to it in terms of potentially confusing and unsettling everyone else, so it should at least be worth the cost in terms of providing some relevant update (like a piece of news for example).

10 minutes ago, boris said:

It's equally weird if someone "likes" a post you made 17 years ago...

I think I've accidentally liked some older posts a couple of times. It only happens when I forget to check and see how old a post was, and after I realize what I've done I end up feeling extremely embarrassed.

I've also been on the receiving end of a "necrolike" before, but it just so happened to be for a post I was quite proud of and didn't receive much attention at the time. Though that post was only maybe a month old, it probably would have been pretty awkward if it was in fact a post I'd made multiple years ago. I haven't been here long enough for that to happen yet though.

I'm also overly conscientious about my posts, I will literally spend 2+ hours on a single post only to abandon it because I end up deciding it isn't worth it. And if I realize I'm in a dead thread while I'm typing out my response I will stop automatically.

8 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

"Good" necroposting is fine. By good, I specifically mean when the post that caused the bump is meaningful and of value. So, when it adds to the conversation in a meaningful way or prompts the conversation to reoccur with modern viewpoints and meaningful results etc I'm personally totally fine with it - but from what I see most necroposts are newer people making posts of next-to-no-value.

Otherwise it's not really a bad thing!

lol i agree  ;)

tbh, i don't mind necros. unfortunately, many necros involve useless posts like described above. 

it's easy though to search for something and overlook the date of the last post. and especially as boris mentioned, liking posts from before this feature had been implemented.

It’s a lesser evil to a ghost town message board. Things seem to have been quiet recently. 

7 minutes ago, Jon said:

It’s a lesser evil to a ghost town message board. Things seem to have been quiet recently. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 3.33.01 PM.png

i guess the 2 big spikes were caused by the release of doom3 respectively doom (2016)?

I think it's more offensive when it's a project that still isn't finished and then you think something updated but nothing actually did.

I think @wildweasel said it best with this thread he created solely for bad necrobumping at the ZDoom forums:

Okay, we're all tired of seeing old threads get bumped for no reason. It's always the same thing. Someone finds an old project that hasn't been updated in years, posts a reply asking if there have been updates, five or so people either yell at the bumper or post some variety of "God damn it, I thought there was an update."

Basically, newbie posts something like "new update pls" or "download is broken" on a thread usually containing a promising in-progress project, those anticipating an update to said project yell at the newbie, shitstorm breaks out, mods reprimand both parties, rinse and repeat ad nauseam. It gets even worse when said project is usually dead, and the thread itself had been dead for months, even years.

Related: when someone posts "has there been an update?" and nothing else on one of my project threads, part of my soul leaks out of my ears.

I swear this thread will be a thing of beauty if someone decides to necro it a few years from now.

Unless of course, someone decides to delete or lock this thread.

I remember seeing there was a bump on the Sunder thread, so I thought there's something new there, but it turned out to be a necro-bump... Although I don't really feel something bad, I can understand this could trigger someone...

it seems more annoying to me that people get annoyed even by pointless bumps than any potential annoyance caused by the bump itself, to me at least

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

I remember seeing there was a bump on the Sunder thread, so I thought there's something new there, but it turned out to be a necro-bump...

I was sad. Suddenly I saw people commenting there, and I was wondering what the deal was. Clearly I was hoping for something other than just a bump, so I got excited and had a look. T_T