Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainManiac

How to make 3d floors with multiple shapes?

Question

So,i made a six story building with multiple 3d sectors.I need to make the monotonous 3d floors less or more artistic by adding different pieces of architecture.for example computer,flesh or anything.Is that possible to make in the control sector or there need to be more 3d floor sectors in the control sector?

13 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, CaptainManiac said:

i could use it,but the targer is everything on one map and the buildings to crash fully when needed to be blown up,so i need all sectors of the building to fall down,i saw that regular buildings without even 3d floors cannot do this because of their structure

Buildings made from linked portal layers can be destroyed. Or at least, they can in Eternity.

The thing to remember is: a linked portal boundary plane is fixed. And the lower section's ceiling height has to match the upper section's floor height. So, if you tag sectors with a linked portal id but the lower section's ceiling height is lower than the portal boundary and the upper section's floor height is above the portal boundary, the linked portal there won't display and it appears for all intents and purposes regular geometry. But, if you in-game then proceed to raise the lower section's ceiling to above the portal boundary and lower the upper section's floor to below the portal boundary, the linked portal will appear and your solid floor/ceiling there is gone.

I'm using this myself to destroy floor/ceilings so the player can fall through the floor in the room below.

Because each portal plane is separate piece of geometry, doing this for several building layers requires the same effort except repeated a few times.

6 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Suggestion: don't use 3DFloors but use portals instead. (G)Zdoom has them, and they are supremely suited to build rooms above rooms.

This. I tried using 3D sectors to build and design multiple story buildings and it very quickly became a pain in the neck to manage that many control sectors. Best to use portals to create the illusion of a 3D building. It'll be just as convincing as the real deal without the headache.

A 3D floor control sector merely serves to store a few properties that are projected to the actual 3D floor in the tagged sector. You cannot project geometry.

Fortunately, in UDMF, you can now give several tags to a single sector. So you can have a sector that gets a special tag so that you can give it a desk or a computer or whatever with a 3D floor, and still get the same "shared" tag as the others so that it has the normal 3D floors to make, well, the different floors of the building.

Suggestion: don't use 3DFloors but use portals instead. (G)Zdoom has them, and they are supremely suited to build rooms above rooms.

i could use it,but the targer is everything on one map and the buildings to crash fully when needed to be blown up,so i need all sectors of the building to fall down,i saw that regular buildings without even 3d floors cannot do this because of their structure

idk why,but these 3d floors show well in the builder,but don't show up in game.The map analysis has detected missing textures,misalignments,unused textures and nothing related to these 3d floors not showing up.I made the building i target from floor and use 3d floors for multistories and the ceiling of the building.

Of course they still work. In ZDoom, "deprecated" just means "there are better ways to do this now", not "this is gonna break".

I can't really help you there, I don't follow Zandronum stuff anymore. But there's no reason for them not to work, they're an old feature that has been around for over a decade.

@Gez Zandronum 3.0 (the latest stable version) is based on GZDoom 1.8.6. Maybe that information, combined with your knowledge of GZDoom, will help you figure out what is supported and what isn't.

As I said previously, stacked sectors (what portal things are for) have been around for over a decade, at least since October 2004. They're older than the very first version of GZDoom.