Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom dude

[HELP]implementing custom decorations?

hi, new face here.

i've been building a map for some time now, and i want to add some custom decorations(more precisely, a sprite of broken keys). i've managed to make the sprites and such, but now im having issues with their DECORATE script and how to implement them on a wad.

to be specific, im having issues making the decoration actually appear on my level editor(using doom builder 2 btw). i've got the sprite and it's script on a separate wad wich i load together with the main doom wad. here's the script for those interested: 

actor BrokenKey 255
    {
    Radius 16
    Height 40
    States
    {
    Spawn:
    BROK A -1     <----- sprite filename
    Stop
    }
}

Edited by Doom dude : wording

FYI I think this might be more at home in Editing, a mod may be able to move it for you.

Can you post your files, or a simplified version with the relevant problem if this is a big map we're talking about? Just an empty room with a player start and the broken key is all we'd need, plus the dec wad. Not totally clear what the problem could be yet. Are you unsure how to place the custom decoration? Have you placed it but find that it doesn't show up when you load up the map to play? Is there an error message?

5 hours ago, Doom dude said:

to be specific, im having issues making the decoration actually appear on my level editor(using doom builder 2 btw)

The easiest way is to type in the Doom Ed. Number explicitly into a thing you placed in editor.  It's icon will display a question mark in Doombuilder2, but in game will be the thing type corresponding with that number (255 in this case you chose). 

Just make sure it doesn't conflict with a preexisting thing type: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers

In this case the number 255 is good, so you'd just place an object in Doombuilder 2, then in the Edit Thing dialogue window, just change the Type to 255 (in example pic below, you'd change the 47 to a 255; which would change this stalagmite into a broken key)

TgWogeS.jpg

There also might be a way to set up a doombuilder config file but i don't know.  I also heard that Gzdoombuilder might be able to automatically handle these better but i also dunno.  but this solution might help you at least.

18 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

FYI I think this might be more at home in Editing, a mod may be able to move it for you.

Can you post your files, or a simplified version with the relevant problem if this is a big map we're talking about? Just an empty room with a player start and the broken key is all we'd need, plus the dec wad. Not totally clear what the problem could be yet. Are you unsure how to place the custom decoration? Have you placed it but find that it doesn't show up when you load up the map to play? Is there an error message?

i've done another thread in editing, figured it would get some replies.

my problem is the following: i've made a custom sprite and a DECORATE script for it to use it in the level editor. i've made sure it would not conflict with another editor number. after i added the sprite and script to a test .wad,  i tried spawning it in the level editor but to no avail. i can provide any print or file needed to solve this. there isn't any error messeage. i cant select it in the editor either, almost like it wasn't loaded by the wad.

posting here because i'm unable to reply for some reason...

tried to use this .wad file, but same thing happened. loaded with doom builder and it won't show up, even when i do what NoisyVelvet said. 

another edit: i was working on said map when by sheer coincidence, i found out that my sprite is actually in the editor, but replaced the box of rockets sprites for some reason.

Edited by Doom dude

Hmmmm posting the test wad might be the most useful thing, there are a number of things that could be an issue, so far it doesn't sound like there's any major error you're making.

Do not upload an IWAD with your changes. Admins will not be happy with you. Take the link down.

Never alter an IWAD, make a dedicated PWAD. I'm surprised that the editor allowed you to do this.

A good way of preventing from altering an IWAD is to set its property to Read Only.

In an earlier post I linked to my tutorial about using a green key

it might give you a hint on how to proceed with your decoration.

In any case, name the script DECORATE, not BROKSCRI, and the sprite must be between S_ markers,

S_START and S_END, to be recognized as sprite.

Read everything you can find about DECORATE

https://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

http://gunlabs.blogspot.ca/2011/01/tutorials.html

Because you, obviously, are new to mapping I provide an example pwad

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1m9pbcn33g91icb/has_key_01.wad

Whoa there you just posted the whole Doom II IWAD. See above post. I'm sure it was an innocent mistake but something you should take care of.

Regardless, here's a working wad file with just the DECORATE and new sprite: brokenkey.wad.zip 

In GZDoom you can load this up, type "summon BrokenKey" in the console, and there's your decoration. Placing it in a map with the correct DoomEd number should work now, though I can't test it at the mo. [Kappes has made this post kind of redundant by beating me to the punch, but keeping this here for reference. This one is I think slightly closer to your original intentions fwiw]

As Kappes says, there seem to be two major problems: 1) DECORATE lumps needs to actually be named "DECORATE" and 2) the sprite should go between S_START and S_END 

Edited by Big Ol Billy

12 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

DECORATE lumps needs to actually be named "DECORATE"

That's not completely true. You can make a DECORATE lump with another name, but you must also have a DECORATE lump named "DECORATE" with a #INCLUDE line to include the custom-named lump. That way, you can have multiple DECORATE lumps to help organize larger projects.

great, i can post again. 

some updates: used the brokenkey.wad Big O Billy gave, but i can't see any option for the broken key decoration. BUT what it did was replace the rocket box sprite with the broken key one. the rocket box editor number is 2046, the editor number of the sprite was supposed to be 255. could this be a issue regarding the loading order of the .wads? ir maybe the fact that i'm loading two wads on doom builder?

Sorry, I didn't notice this at first but your broken key sprite has the same name as the box of rockets: BROKA0. In this case, the rocketbox itself wasn't getting replaced (you could pick up a box of rockets, but not the broken key even though they both looked the same), but the two different objects looked the same because they both used the same sprite (the broken key sprite, which was overwriting the usual rocketbox sprite). I've slightly updated the sample wad, renaming the broken key sprite so that it doesn't replace anything else and adding a silly test map: brokenkey2.zip

In your map editor, you may not see an option to place the broken key, but should be able to place a thing with some given DoomEd number. In this case, 255 should place the broken key. Hopefully the test map will help illuminate this.

Edited by Big Ol Billy

3 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Sorry, I didn't notice this at first but your broken key sprite has the same name as the box of rockets: BROKA0. In this case, the rocketbox itself wasn't getting replaced (you could pick up a box of rockets, but not the broken key even though they both looked the same), but the two different objects looked the same because they both used the same sprite (the broken key sprite, which was overwriting the usual rocketbox sprite). I've slightly updated the sample wad, renaming the broken key sprite so that it doesn't replace anything else and adding a silly test map: brokenkey2.zip

In your map editor, you may not see an option to place the broken key, but should be able to place a thing with some given DoomEd number. In this case, 255 should place the broken key. Hopefully the test map will help illuminate this.

Now this is a unfortunate coincidence... i will edit my wad here and test it. Would be great to use yours but my pc went to hell and cant connect to the internet no more(im posting this from mobile). Either way, thanks for the help, i learned a lot from this thread

edit: it worked!

Edited by Doom dude