Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinnamonPig

I Need Some Help With Research

Hi! Sorry to be a pain, but I really need some help with my college research surrounding Doom. I know a few of my classmates have come here already so I totally understand if this isn't something you want to see and I'll be happy to take it down.

I have a questionnaire I've made over google to help me out so giving answers is super easy.

https://goo.gl/forms/BBGwKH3RvhQ9iYLh1

The aim of this questionnaire is to give me an idea of who the fans of Doom are, what they like about it, and where they think improvements in the games lie. Unfortunately, looking through the forums wont help me much with this area of the assignment, as I need to generate the information on my own first hand. This means looking at my classmates' answers wont count towards my grade.

Over my time doing this assignment, I've gotten really into fan games and mods for Doom so if anybody has any recommendations for those, that'd be awesome <3

Thank you so much for readin this far and thank you to everyone who wants to take part. You're the best!
If anybody has any suggestions or improvements on the questionnaire, please let me know!

Again, sorry to be a bother! I wish you all the best <3

-Maddie (CinnamonPig)

what doom game is this even about? i assumed you were talking about classic doom up until you started asking about fan games and paid DLC

if this is supposed to be about doom 4, you should either say that or post this in the doom 4 section.

Just now, bonnie said:

what doom game is this even about? i assumed you were talking about classic doom up until you started asking about fan games and paid DLC

if this is supposed to be about doom 4, you should either say that or post this in the doom 4 section.

Hey! It's more about Doom as a series as opposed to the original game. Sorry, I should've said in the original post.

14 minutes ago, CinnamonPig said:

Hey! It's more about Doom as a series as opposed to the original game. Sorry, I should've said in the original post.

Hmm, to me your questionaire seems not to be very thoughtfully put together. Questions like "How could the setting be improved?" or
"What do you think of the art style of Doom?" induce useless answers, as setting and style are not consistent through the "series".

Good luck. Will we see any of your results and conclusions?

2 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Hmm, to me your questionaire seems not to be very thoughtfully put together. Questions like "How could the setting be improved?" or
"What do you think of the art style of Doom?" induce useless answers, as setting and style are not consistent through the "series".

Sorry, I really struggle to word things and didn't want to word questions with detail to the point that they would be leading people to answer a certain way. I'll see what I can do about rewording some of them though. Thank you!
Of course! I'm more than happy to post the results I get from Thursday, as that's the deadline!

I'm curious, what's with all this recent research about Doom?

Don't misunderstand, I'm just wondering why is the interest in the series and its fans increasing more and more. And that at the same college and in the very same class apparently, no less, so I'm asking whether there's any particular reason for all this.

1 minute ago, DoomGater said:

Hmm, to me your questionnaire seems not to be very thoughtfully put together. Questions like "How could the setting be improved?" or

There's also not enough empty lines available for completion either unlike the other questionnaires, so both the questions and answers end up generic.

1 minute ago, Agent6 said:

I'm just wondering why is the interest in the series and its fans increasing more and more.

What a question. Obviously WE are the reason.

I wonder, have you ever looked at different Doom games? If you're claiming that it's about the whole series, then you'll be surprised how much games in it are different from one another.

Added my responses and anyone who chooses "Yes" to the question "Do you think video game violence leads to real world violence?" will be smitten by a very large spiked hammer.

20 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Added my responses and anyone who chooses "Yes" to the question "Do you think video game violence leads to real world violence?" will be smitten by a very large spiked hammer.

Only one very large spiked hammer?

That's all you need.

The same applies with people clamoring for "More violence" or "More gore" ala Brutal Doom.

Doom games never made me want to be violent. But I gotta admit, it does get annoying when I'm playing and there's a knock on the door. I don't answer.

1 hour ago, CinnamonPig said:

I have a questionnaire I've made over google to help me out so giving answers is super easy

"What is your opinion on the plot of Doom?"

That one is lacking an answer I would give: I don't care about it

"What Do You Think About the Violence in Doom?"

Only options you provide here are "More of", or "less of". What about "It's good as is", or something "neutral", which certainly would be an opinion one could have?

Do you like the indoor setting of Doom?

This question is problematic because Doom had external environments right from E1M1. This is before we even consider Sandy Peterson's city maps in DoomII or the countless custom maps made over the years that take place primarily in outdoor environments.

I think a good question for this would be something like:

What do you think has kept the Doom series relevant to gamers for so long?

I'm pretty sure the majority answer would be the massive map/mod community.

57 minutes ago, Urthar said:

This question is problematic because Doom had external environments right from E1M1. This is before we even consider Sandy Peterson's city maps in DoomII or the countless custom maps made over the years that take place primarily in outdoor environments.

E1M1 certainly has an external environment but I would not describe Doom's overall setting as outdoors. Doom II is a little stronger in this regard but still miles away from me agreeing that the question is problematic. Doom 3's outdoor areas are practically nonexistant. I think that part of what the questionairre may be trying to get at is what drives users to create mods. If you didn't like the predominantly indoor setting then you might answer that you like the fan-created mods because of the greater variety of settings including predominantly outdoor levels like, idk, "Engineering Disaster" from Valiant. This is clearly evident in the behavior of slaughtermap enthusiasts making what else? but slaughtermaps.

Since the Admin thought I was trolling, let me rephrase my criticism. I think to improve the questionnaire you might want remove the gender identity question completely. It definitely gave me the impression I would be participating in some gender politics survey.

10 minutes ago, Officer D said:

Since the Admin thought I was trolling, let me rephrase my criticism. I think to improve the questionnaire you might want remove the gender identity question completely. It definitely gave me the impression I would be participating in some gender politics survey.

If there is an appreciable difference between what people who identify as males want to see changed by user-created mods versus people who identify as females then that would be a significant data point for this project.

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"What Do You Think About the Violence in Doom?"

Only options you provide here are "More of", or "less of". What about "It's good as is", or something "neutral", which certainly would be an opinion one could have?

Actually I'm wondering how I feel about "pixelated violence"... For some reason, I think it's kind of cartoon-ish now...

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Actually I'm wondering how I feel about "pixelated violence"... For some reason, I think it's kind of cartoon-ish now...

As far as classic doom is considered, I don't think it qualifies as something that could be described as "shocking" these days. FWIW, when I first played doom it was kinda creepy, for me at least. But then again, when you look at "modern depictions of violence and gore", it's no wonder classic doom comes across very cartoon-ish. Doom'16 on the other hand is so over the top with its glory kills for example that I think it doesn't matter how "good" it looks, it's obvious to me that it's not real. To be fair, I wouldn't let "younglings" play doom'16, but I have no issues whatsoever with letting a teenager play classic doom.

30 minutes ago, Officer D said:

Asking what gender you identify as is a standard question for almost any survey. Indeed it's a question you're asked regularly when completing almost any kind of form, whether it's for filing your taxes, booking a flight or a hotel room, applying for a bank account, passport or driving license or even just signing up to many websites. There's nothing controversial about it at all, it's a reasonable thing to ask and obviously relevant to the research being done here. I've asked you once already to stop derailing this conversation with unnecessary political nonsense. Let's please just end this particular conversation here.

45 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Asking what gender you identify as is a standard question for almost any survey. Indeed it's a question you're asked regularly when completing almost any kind of form, whether it's for filing your taxes, booking a flight or a hotel room, applying for a bank account, passport or driving license or even just signing up to many websites. There's nothing controversial about it at all, it's a reasonable thing to ask and obviously relevant to the research being done here. I've asked you once already to stop derailing this conversation with unnecessary political nonsense. Let's please just end this particular conversation here.

It gives me the option to be "other" which I have never seen on any of my forms. It's a sensible subject and is brought up in the questionnaire. Sorry to hear, that my reply's are considered "derailing" it just felt off to me, to see those choices in such questionnaire. I shall not continue on the matter.

This survey does seem to be made from the perspective that all Doom games are confined to cramped, indoor areas like Doom 3 rather than Classic Doom (or even Doom 2016 for that matter).

So about the fan game thing. Do you mean mods or actual Doom fan games like how there are lots of Sonic and Mario fan games out there.

Also there are plenty of outdoor sections in each Doom.

Glad you took interest in Doom and it's community! Hope you find your place here. I'd recommend checking out the cacowards as it has a great selection of the best community creations per year.

I personally recommend Ancient Aliens, The Revenant Problem, and nuts.wad

Edited by GhoulDesecrator

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

rQNZt1Y.png

Game doesn't give you exposition dumps every 5 minutes=The game has no reason to exist story wise

i completed the survey, but i felt like many of the questions were leading, or open to misinterpretation by either myself or the anyone reading my answers.

for example, the question about video game violence leading to real violence, i said "depends on the game". this might imply that i think that there's a causation between playing certain games, and mass shootings. but i don't think that, at all. i do think that games (along with other media/art), can establish or reinforce certain ideas or norms that lead to other types of violence. the american military agrees with me to the point that they have spent significant money on it.