Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CinnamonPig

I Need Some Help With Research

Bit of a tangent, but between this and the recent college course featuring Doom, I'm happy to see the game popping up in an educational setting. There's a goldmine of game design knowledge floating about that hopefully folks will be able to tap into.

As usual, I'll offer my usual bit of encouragement to seek out some cool community-made mods and give 'em a play. There's a reason the game's still relevant, after all.

5 hours ago, SOSU said:

Game doesn't give you exposition dumps every 5 minutes=The game has no reason to exist story wise

I always assumed you're out to save your pet bunny, but when you get there, rather than having a happy ending, your bunny is dead... so then you keep having to wreck monsters. In Mario you never know you're saving a princess until Toad tells you.

Other than that, people have speculated you're just a guy that when shit goes down he does what it takes to survive only to die at the end of episode 1, go to Diemos base which disappeared into Hell and from there, go to hell.

Perhaps "there isn't any" is part of public opinion and stigma which is why it should be in there.

Edited by geo

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

rQNZt1Y.png

I don't think the plot is particularly good (or bad). It's just a pretext. Everything can always be improved, obviously, but improving Doom's plot isn't really the point. There is a plot, though, even if it's just a pretext to mix sci-fi and heavy metal imagery so that you can blast demons in a spaceship with a shotgun. I definitely have an idea what it is. I wouldn't say I don't care about it, it's more that I think it's not the focus of the game.

So, none of the choices apply to me. It's not that there isn't a plot or that I don't care about it, it's just that the plot isn't what's important in the game. It's not good in that it's not some sort of artistic thing with a deeper message or whatever; but it's good in that it does its job and stays out of the way of your enjoyment of the gameplay.

If "I don't care about it" had been phrased as "It's not really important" I'd have chosen that.

On 27/03/2018 at 8:00 PM, CinnamonPig said:

(...) I'm more than happy to post the results I get from Thursday, as that's the deadline!

Aha. WHEN was the deadline??

29 minutes ago, CinnamonPig said:

Sorry! I've been struggling to catch up with college work and I've managed to compile the results from the questionnaire! Thank you so much to everyone who took part and sorry it took so long to post the results.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ofHXlowCBQ8b5rx4e0mblIf8ZzUT8mi09qk-nBFzojU/edit?usp=sharing

Now we can play name that anonymous Doomworld member based on their answers!

On 4/4/2018 at 11:55 AM, CinnamonPig said:

.... post the results ....

Interesting (but largely unsurprising) statistics.

The one thing I found amusing was this nugget:

Q: Have you played DooM?

A: No, but I've watched someone play it.

On a DooM web-site, no less. Smile-worthy.