Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfamousGreed

What is your favorite Heavy Metal Band?

57 minutes ago, yakfak said:

i had my time caring about metal and it is long behind me but i still have some really cool stuff in the vaults, great CDs by Voivod and Martyr and Meshuggah and Gorguts (which is a name I cringe at but the music is hard to deny)

i can sing along to all the early Candlemass albums. Melvins and Boris got deeply sludge/slo-metal at times, Amp Worship and Bullhead are incredible

i remember liking Deathspell Omega and i also remember seeing people talking black metal and going "hey, I think DSO rock" and receiving about ten minutes of bullshit for being a hipster aquarius mailing-list music fan

Napalm Death are the band I value most, whether they're blurry or comical or political they match my tastes the closest. i prefer music to make a statement these days. Brutal Truth were good too

there's my top ten :P

DsO surely influenced the scene though, you don't have to search too much to find a shitload of bands inspired by them, it's not even fun...

I've never really been a fan of the band, the only album I really like is Inquisitors of Satan, everything that follows gets very little interest from me. Ironically the band is not satisfied with that album. And I definitely don't like Paracletus too much regardless of how many consider it a jewel and of great importance to the genre as a whole. Perhaps my mind will change, it happened before.

Gorguts is great, and I think the name is fine. There's far worse names out there y'know :v .

Napalm Death doesn't get much attention from me either, but then the -cores never do it for me regardless of what they're mixed with. Early Carcass and Blood's Christbait are among the few exceptions. I agree with the last part, it's nice to have something that carries a message of some kind, especially nowadays, although I don't focus on that. I'd rather read an interview/article/whatever instead.

I'll take 'heavy metal' to just mean metal: Carnifex, Infant Annihilator, Ion Dissonance, I Declare War, The Yellow Sign, Aversions Crown, Despised Icon, Lorna Shore and Impending Doom.

I like a lot of different bands - stuff like Rings of Saturn, Shadows of Intent, Ne Obliviscaris, Rendered Helpless, Cognizance, Invent Animate, Animals as Leaders, and pretty much anything in the range of those

I've been really into the band Shining lately. I don't have a favorite of all time really. More of a favorite band at the time kinda deal I guess. Too many bands, too many obnoxious 'sub' genres to sort through

Am i the only doom fan who doesnt listen to heavy metal at the moment? Is everyone trying to convert me?

@Catpho

Steps to winning hearts on the Metalnet:

1) Say it with me: "Maiden and Priest were the guys that we praised."

2) List a few obscure bands, preferrably with epic names

3) List a few brutal bands*

4) "X sucks/is not metal" where X is Bullet for My Valentine,  Avenged Sevenfold (or similar), or Nu metal.

*Steps 2 and 3 can coincide

4 hours ago, Resigned_34 said:

Sodom

Razor

Venom

and Black Sabbath of course.

I prefer Priest over Maiden honestly

That's a very arguable decision as I can't decide which one I like the most, so I stopped thinking about it and enjoy both lol.

Though Sodom is my favorite thrash band.

12 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I'd say anything on https://www.metal-archives.com/ is a good starting point but historically my top 3 have been

Opeth,

Dark Tranquillity

Dream Theater until Portnoy left (sad sad day)

Current favourites are

Persefone

Jinjer

Between the Buried and Me

Seeing Gojira and Mastodon on Saturday so been listening to a bit of that lately

Jinjer is the shit! I Speak Astronomy

9 minutes ago, R4L said:

Jinjer is the shit! I Speak Astronomy

That's the song that got me listening to them. Love the video clip. King of Everything is a damn good album. 

22 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

That's the song that got me listening to them. Love the video clip. King of Everything is a damn good album. 

Indeed. Cloud Factory is pretty good too. Outlander is badass.

7 hours ago, Akenore said:

I like a lot of different bands - stuff like Rings of Saturn, Shadows of Intent, Ne Obliviscaris, Rendered Helpless, Cognizance, Invent Animate, Animals as Leaders, and pretty much anything in the range of those

Sick, sounds like we have very similar tastse in metal. RoS are amazing and Shdow of Intent are way underappreciated. Ovid's Withering is A++ too.

1 hour ago, R4L said:

Indeed. Cloud Factory is pretty good too. Outlander is badass.

I went through a female deathish vocal binge on youtube a few weeks ago and found Jinjer, Once Human, Frantic Amber, Spoil Engine, Ignea and Dehydrated (among others). A lot of them seem like pretty new bands my theory is that there's a bunch of chicks who grew up listening to Arch Enemy are now in bands. It's pretty cool.

8 hours ago, Akenore said:

You should check out Within the Ruins and Persefone.

My interest in metal plummeted in recent years. However when I did mainly listen to it, my #1 was The Black Dahlia Murder. If that doesn't count, Slayer.

The thing with me and metal.... its weird. In my teen years i was dumb and stupid, and since i was learning music lessons i was very much into classical music so i had this stupid idead that "classical music it's the only good music" so i didn't listened to anything not classical until some years after... god i wan't to punch my teen self in the face

The thing is that due to that stupid decision in my life, i only got into metal music seriously since about 5 years ago and i when i started i was more into looking for songs rather than artists (and to a certain extend i still am), so my heavy metal preferences aren't as rock solid that i can give a definitive answer since im always discovering something new

My earliest favorite bands were Iron Maiden, Megadeth and specially Metallica, i liked them enough that i saw them live last year. Some time after that i started to listen to Black Sabbath (particulary the dio and tony martin years) and i really got into sabbath, recently i've been into Blind Guardian, i discovered them since i kept stumbling on their songs about books that i've read (such as lord of the rings, the once and future king, stephen king's it, and some more), so for the moment Blind Guardian it's my favorite one until i discover another kickass band in this sea of music

god there's too many

Death

Dragged Into Sunlight

Eyehategod

The Sword

Mastodon (although since The Hunter, not so much)

Gojira

Cobalt

Deathspell Omega

Drudkh

Electric Wizard (earlier stuff)

Kvelertak

Lord Mantis

Portal

Power Trip

Primitive Man

Artificial Brain

Red Fang

Salome

Scale The Summit

Sepultura

Sleep

Tempel

Age of Truth

Ulver

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

god there's too many

Death

Dragged Into Sunlight

Eyehategod

The Sword

Mastodon (although since The Hunter, not so much)

Gojira

Cobalt

Deathspell Omega

Drudkh

Electric Wizard (earlier stuff)

Kvelertak

Lord Mantis

Portal

Power Trip

Primitive Man

Artificial Brain

Red Fang

Salome

Scale The Summit

Sepultura

Sleep

Tempel

Age of Truth

Ulver

666/666 for this post :v . My favorite comment in this thread so far. And quite a few obscure bands, bonus points for this, or well, not necessarily obscure but certainly lesser known, such as Cobalt.

:3

Cobalt's Gin is one of the finest metal albums of the last 10 years

this applies to most music i guess but theres so much metal out there you really have to do some digging to find what you like - anyone interested would do well with anything from the above bands :)

2 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

god there's too many

The Sword

Man, I wish The Sword would stop fucking around with these lame styles they keep trying and go back to being heavy. I pre-ordered Used Future thinking they might have went heavier than High Country/Low Country and still a huge disappointment.

Also, I wish Necrophagist was still alive...

yeah i wasnt really happy with the direction they went in with High Country and so i was sad to hear Used Future is much the same

I hardly listen to metal these days but still adore the genre and it's many branches.

Some that came to mind right away: Slayer, Pantera, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, (some) Metallica, Morbid Angel, Rings of Saturn. Although they're much more in the industrial camp, I also love NIN and Marilyn Manson's various metal tracks over the years.

Going with the assumption that "heavy metal" in this case covers the entire spectrum of metal subgenres, here are some of my favorite bands:

Dream Theater

Gojira

Haken

Lamb of God

Leprous

Machine Head

Meshuggah

Slipknot

Stam1na

Seeing Mastodon (not bad), Gojira (holy fuck yes) and Mothra (unknown) tonight. Always pleasing when metal bands make it to NZ

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Going with the assumption that "heavy metal" in this case covers the entire spectrum of metal subgenres, here are some of my favorite bands:

Dream Theater

Gojira

Haken

Lamb of God

Leprous

Machine Head

Meshuggah

Slipknot

Stam1na

Just started listening to Haken over the last few weeks. Weird wonderful stuff. Sounds like Thank You Scientist crossed with Porcupine Tree

i hardly listen to metal these days but of the bands i really like they have to be

Unearthly Trance

Melvins

Sigh 

Neurosis

Harvey Milk

Portal

not sure if i would count Oxbow as a metal band but their brilliant either way

Entombed

Dismember

Rigor Mortis

Dark Angel

Mayhem(i prefer their later albums Ordo ad Chao is my fav)

Ulver(similair to Mayhem)

Yob

Sunn O))))/Burning Witch

i used to be REALLY into death metal at a certain stage in life but now i lean towards doom metal 

10 hours ago, Heavyasadeathinthefamily said:

Mayhem(i prefer their later albums Ordo ad Chao is my fav)

i used to be REALLY into death metal at a certain stage in life but now i lean towards doom metal 

Well that's new, I haven't heard of many people liking the newer stuff. For me, the last solid Mayhem release was Chimera, Ordo is almost impossible for me to listen from start to finish, usually picking one or 2 songs and then dropping it afterwards, but then it's not like I give that album a go too often. Esoteric was average and generic, it's enough to pick a song from that album and you already know what the entire thing is about.

Death/Doom, Doom/Death or Funeral is even better for me when I want something more doomy, yet at the same time not pure Doom or Death Metal.

Mayhem died with Euronymous, even if he was a cunt, he still was a great composer, as seen in DMDS.

Edit : I won't start a debate on this.

Edited by Mayhem666

59 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

Mayhem died with Euronymous, even if he was a cunt, he still was a great composer, as seen in DMDS.

Edit : I won't start a debate on this.

Just like I said in another post, Euro was an amazing musician, but that's about it, the guy was an asshole, wannabe most extreme metalhead on the planet, and full of shit. I like what he left us with, but definitely not him as a person. Varg > Euro for me, and yeah I'm serious, and no lil' Burzum fanboy.

53 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Mayhem's newer stuff is killer. Besides Grand Declaration of Snore, anyways. 

I actually like that album, but can't say this for Ordo and Esoteric. Ordo at least was more interesting despite being difficult to listen from start to finish for me, but Esoteric is just plan average and generic. Like I said, pick a song and you already know the whole deal.

Wolf's Lair Abyss was pretty nice too but what the fuck happened with the voice... it's the one thing that ruins the EP for me.

Edited by Agent6

On 3/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, Catpho said:

Am i the only doom fan who doesnt listen to heavy metal at the moment?

I don't listen to Heavy Metal either. The closest I ever got to it was Black Sabbath (but, see below), particularly when the band I played in did a cover of "Paranoid".

However, I still listen to the many precursors of Heavy Metal, such as Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin.