Iron Maiden 

Iron Void

Shadow Witch

Marduk

Necophobic

Candlemass

Saint Vitus

Black Sabbath

I kind of bounce between Doom, Black Metal, Blackend Death Metal with a few other sub genres. I pretty much avoid everything on the raido though. 

2 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

I pretty much avoid everything on the raido though. 

I guess you meant "radio". Wise choice, in this day and age unless you run into a channel with actual quality stuff it's the only rational choice. It's no different here.

Motorhead (unless we count them as rock'n'roll as Lemmy liked to), in which case Judas Priest! Honorable mention to Overkill, my fav of the thrash bands of which I like most of them.

Heavy: Motorhead, W.A.S.P., Pantera, Judas Priest, Type O Negative.

Heavier: Slayer, Carcass, Electric Wizard, Meshuggah, Suffocation.

Edited by qdash

For precision and beauty, Arch Enemy. Angela Gossow is phenomenal.

For pure brutality, Job for a Cowboy. The lyrics to "Entombment of a Machine" always reminds me of DOOM.

On 4/1/2018 at 5:02 PM, Fulgrim said:

In no particular order:

Electric Wizard 

Taake

Mayhem

Twingiant 

Arc Of Ascent

High on Fire

Om

Sleep

Kings Destroy 

Wo Fat

Dissecation

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden 

Iron Void

Shadow Witch

Marduk

Necophobic

Candlemass

Saint Vitus

Black Sabbath

I kind of bounce between Doom, Black Metal, Blackend Death Metal with a few other sub genres. I pretty much avoid everything on the raido though. 

The taste of kings.

I just listen to whatever stoner metal RYM feeds me. Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, Kyuss, Sleep, Candlemass, uh...

The list goes on...

I also admittedly like good alt/nu-metal like SOAD and Deftones. Fite me.

...I don't listen to heavy metal or any kind of metal at all...

Everytime I post in the 'What are you listening to?' thread I always look super out of place when I post some random jazz fusion album while every one else is posting death metal.

With my families first computer it contained a copy of the Grolier Encyclopedia on CD-ROM. It mentioned that Heavy Metal was a mix of the Hard Rock and Blues generas. Heavy Metal music was described by having a sort of fuzz. In the encyclopedia it mentioned bands like Blue Oyster Cult and Def Leppard. According to Wikipedia it mentions that Grunge music was also a mixture of Hard Rock and Blues. Early Grunge sounded a lot like Heavy Metal by my opinion.

By using the Grolier Encyclopedia definition there should be a sub-genera of metal called "Light Metal" because many bands have that fuzz sound but are not "heavy' enough to be considered metal. But then I learned about a genera called "Progressive" to where it contained that "fuzz" sound without being metal. Many bands that were once considered metal, however, are now considered progressive. Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Pink Floyd and Journey were at one time grouped under this genera. There was my history lesson for the day so now on to my favorites.

Classic Metal:

1. Def Leppard; Switch 625, Die Hard the Hunter, Fractured Love
  2. Queensrÿche; Queen of the Ryche, The Lady Wore Black

3. Whitesnake; Gambler, Love Ain't No Stranger, Slow an' Easy, Still of the Night

4. Scorpions; Loving You Sunday Morning, The Zoo, Rock You Like a Hurricane

5. Dokken; Paris is Burning, Into the Fire, In My Dreams, Heaven Sent, Mr. Scary

6. Judas Priest; Diamonds & Rust, The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown), Electric Eye

Gothic/Symphonic Metal:

1. Indica
  2. Evanessance
  3. Nightwish
  4. One Eyed Doll

I also listen to a lot of New Wave, New Ambient, New Age and Alternative music too.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:50 PM, Grimosaur said:

every one else is posting death metal.

Lol, if by that you mean me and a few other people.

It's very difficult for me to say; there's a lot to pick from, plus for me it's less about the "bands" and moreso "individual albums". Combine that with it already being difficult for me to pick favourites in general, haha. I suppose I could just list off a few I've been digging recently and always find myself coming back to? No real order in mind, just listing as I think of them, along with my favourite album from the group, or at least the one I find myself constantly returning to. Primarily prog/tech-death.

Spoiler

Revocation - Deathless

Alustrium - A Tunnel to Eden

Kronos - Arisen New Era

Archspire - Relentless Mutation

Inferi - The Path of Apotheosis

Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite

Haken - The Mountain

Gorod - A Maze of Recycled Creeds

Æther Realm - Tarot

Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary

6 hours ago, AD_79 said:

...plus for me it's less about the "bands" and moreso "individual albums". Combine that with it already being difficult for me to pick favourites in general

My outlook is similar, sometimes a band I really enjoy will release an album that I don't particularly like, or maybe it will have some kick-ass songs and the rest are meh. For me it depends on over-all enjoyable content across their entire discography, and naturally it's impossible to pick just one, so here are my top picks:

Iron Maiden

Bleeding Through

Poison the Well

Whitechapel

Cattle Decapitation

I like metal, but I don't listen to it very often these days.  The exceptions are KMFDM and 3TEETH, which are more industrial metal.  In fact if we include industrial metal, then those two are at the top of my list by a mile.  But generally, gothic rock/darkwave and electro-industrial is really where it's at for me anymore.

As far as heavy metal and other metal-ish sounding bands, this is generally what I like:

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

Melt-Banana

Moi dix Mois

Metallica

Zeromancer

Ministry

Black Sabbath

Dio

Gamma Ray

Helloween

Liquid Tension Experiment

Loudness

Manowar

Megaherz

Molly Hatchet

Disturbed

Pantera

Paul Gilbert

Queensryche

Racer X

Rammstein

Rob Zombie

Saxon

Scorpions

Slayer

Stratovarius

Tool

Type O Negative

Evanescence

Nightwish

Within Temptation

Epica

Kamelot

I just did something interesting which was look at my last.fm scrobbles. It's over 10 years of records so there's some serious throwbacks in there. Some bands have been favourites since forever (anything in the top 10 fits that) and some are ones that I generally will never go near again (I'm looking at you DevilDriver). It's also interesting balancing song length against total number of listens. Opeth (Still Life has 7 songs at an average of nearly 9 minutes), Symphony X and Dream Theater in particular have seriously long tracks which shows how much I listen to their albums. It's also pointed out to me how little time I have to listen to music these days compared to 8-9 years ago when I was at university. Sucks

Top 50 (out 919 artists)

Sevendust

Dream Theater

Chimaira

Dark Tranquillity

Opeth

Symphony X

Soilwork

Katatonia

Arch Enemy

Epica

Devin Townsend

Trivium

God Forbid

In Flames

In Mourning

Becoming the Archetype

Insomnium

As I Lay Dying

Darkane

MyGrain

Machine Head

Swallow The Sun

Hurt

Therion

Muse

Alter Bridge

Breaking Benjamin

Stone Sour

Godsmack

Project 86

Mercenary

Lamb of God

Amorphis

Devin Townsend Project

Blind Guardian

All Shall Perish

Kamelot

Gojira

Tool

Before the Dawn

Novembers Doom

Raunchy

After Forever

Daath

Ihsahn

DevilDriver

Caliban

Mors Principium Est

Karnivool

Unearth

Might as well do it alphabetically, but trying really hard not to just list every band I listen to.  Decided to be strict, so limited it to 20, skewed it towards the slightly heavier end of the spectrum (or my spectrum, at least) and left out the most of the nu-metal/radio-friendly/ambient djent/instrumental/etc stuff:

After The Burial

Allegaeon

Anterior

Battlecross

Blinded Colony

Divine Heresy

Eye Of The Enemy

Fear Factory

Heart Of A Coward

In Flames

Lamb Of God

Misery Signals

Pantera

Parkway Drive

Solipsist

Sylosis

Threat Signal

Wage War

Westfield Massacre

Within The Ruins

1 hour ago, DooMAD said:

Might as well do it alphabetically, but trying really hard not to just list every band I listen to.  Decided to be strict, so limited it to 20, skewed it towards the slightly heavier end of the spectrum (or my spectrum, at least) and left out the most of the nu-metal/radio-friendly/ambient djent/instrumental/etc stuff:

After The Burial

Allegaeon

Anterior

Battlecross

Blinded Colony

Divine Heresy

Eye Of The Enemy

Fear Factory

Heart Of A Coward

In Flames

Lamb Of God

Misery Signals

Pantera

Parkway Drive

Solipsist

Sylosis

Threat Signal

Wage War

Westfield Massacre

Within The Ruins

Extra points for Eye of the Enemy, Within the Ruins, Allegaeon and Heart of a Coward

Has anyone made a "Change my mind" meme for metal yet?

I often have a few select favourite songs from a variety of groups so I struggle to say. Perhaps my choice would be the Nu metal band Fear Factory. Or maybe Ramnstein or Slipknot simply for a few songs I tend to go back to regularly. Lately I've been getting into Avatar.

In alphabetical order

Arven

Death

Epica

Judas Priest

Manigance

Xandria (Only for Sacrificium and Theater for Dimensions)

I don't listen to Heavy Metal anymore, but there was a time when I loved the genre and was devoted to it with playing guitar and collecting records. 

The two bands I absolutely loved more than anyone else were Judas Priest and Mercyful Fate. I still listen to some of Priest's early stuff from time to time. Sin After Sin and Sad Wings of Destiny are amazing records even if you don't listen to Metal. What drew me to M.F. was that they had the same formula as Priest and were such a top notch band in their prime. I used to play their stuff on guitar almost daily in practices. My whole teen years of playing guitar was pretty much religiously studying the Melissa and Don't Break The Oath albums by learning all the rhythms to various songs and a handful of solos. 

I love all subgenres of metal, pretty much. Some I really like are Agalloch, Opeth, The Faceless, Between the Buried and Me, Iron Maiden, Wintersun, Native Construct, The Red Chord, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Job for a Cowboy (Genesis and Ruination albums), Decapitated, Empyrium, Cynic, Scar Symmetry, Full of Hell, and Revocation.

Edited by Odal

I'm probably gonna get some shit for this but the last few years my fave Metal band has been BABYMETAL. Some people love em some people hate em but there's something about this unique and very strange mix of sound. 

ROFL I've heard people talk about Baby Metal here and there but I guess I had no idea what it is. I once saw a video of some 8-9 year olds playing metal quite well, so every time I've ever heard someone say Baby Metal I figured they were talking about a band of literal children. Idk why, I just connected the two. Now I know what it actually is.. Oh and if people give you shit for listening to something that just reaffirms it's legitimacy imo. Not that it matters but to my ears this just sounds like (pretty cool) credits music to some action packed anime, you could do way worse.