Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

What's the most blatant/Incredible attempts at plagiarism in Doom mapping history?

Anything like a guy trying to upload doom2.wad to the database with a new name and menu sprite. A guy posting a "new" map days after someone else uploaded the same wad. 

I really want to hear these stories and maybe get a good chuckle out of them.

There was a mapset titled Journey to Hell that had certain areas and even nearly whole levels that was virtually identical to levels in Alien Vendetta and Hell Revealed 2 apart from superficial differences. The author was called out on that naturally.

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

Didn't Mattbratt steal some maps? At least that's what I heard.

Shhhh! Let's pretend that wad doesn't exist.

Grezzo 2 immediately comes to mind. It's a smorgasbord of burgled goods.

The Doom2X series. In Chuck Lai's defense however, he didn't know better back then.

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

This isn't a mapping example, but there was that guy who a couple of years ago repackaged zdoom along with some text files full of meaningless pseudo-code and announced that it was "the world's first multicore doom source port"

Other than that, DWANGO5 MAP01

I strongly suspected that person had mental health issues 

Played something a long time ago for Doom II I believe? It was maps E1M9 and E4M7 that made an appearance in it unaltered, and there was graphics and sound and music replacements everywhere, it was called Psycho something Doom, and it had a Xenomorph replacement for I believe the Imp which looked lifted straight outta the Aliens TC.

Also I think there was a modified E1M1 in 'Antichrist Doom' or whatever it was called, had a ton of recolored graphics, mainly B&W with red (but surprisingly not supplied with the noir playpal).

Well, there was this Russian guy with a web store selling off megawads burned to discs, with cover-art and all. Strange to happen by Alien Vendetta on ebay. Unfortunately I didn't have time to buy an overpriced copy before someone reported him :)

Origwad was (most probably) the first custom map with new geometry. But before, people had already found out how to modify existing maps. The big stumbling block were the nodes, we had to wait until these new things were understood and nodebuilders became available; but tweaking values with a hex editor (or writing a simple program to do that for you) was much easier.

As long as you are not moving, adding, or deleting vertices, or adding or removing sectors, you can modify an existing map and keep its nodes. So changing wall and flat textures? Yes. Changing floor and ceiling heights? Also yes. Changing line types and sector tags? Still yes. Adding things? Yes. Removing things? Yes. Changing things? Yes. Editing thing flags? Yes.

21 minutes ago, Gez said:

As long as you are not moving, adding, or deleting vertices, or adding or removing sectors, you can modify an existing map and keep its nodes. So changing wall and flat textures? Yes. Changing floor and ceiling heights? Also yes. Changing line types and sector tags? Still yes. Adding things? Yes. Removing things? Yes. Changing things? Yes. Editing thing flags? Yes.

Can we make a CP out of this concept?

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Can we make a CP out of this concept?

Wouldn't be that interesting; and if you make it out of the IWAD levels you couldn't put it on the idgames archive.

20 hours ago, fraggle said:

This isn't a mapping example, but there was that guy who a couple of years ago repackaged zdoom along with some text files full of meaningless pseudo-code and announced that it was "the world's first multicore doom source port"

Other than that, DWANGO5 MAP01

That was such a lol thread XD

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

Wouldn't be that interesting; and if you make it out of the IWAD levels you couldn't put it on the idgames archive.

I guess the novelty would wear off after a while. Hmm...

I still think this could work though. Once I get some free time, I might try making 2 or 3 maps as sort of a proof of concept or something.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

You could do what Linguica did with Antryway: distribute a save file instead of a WAD. You'd be limited to strictly vanilla compatible ports, yes, but I don't think that's a deal breaker.