Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrDeAD1313

MiniDoom 2

The first one wasn't that good. Floaty and tough to avoid projectiles, plus they were unwilling to add controller support, but it still looked like a good game and that's 90% of what makes a good game. Plus it crashed with GameMaker log error files a few times. I didn't know there was a second, but its time to play the second!

Edited by geo

Well this one was fantastic. I spent 90 minutes to get through the first episode. Everyone should play it. Doom fans, platform shooter fans, Metroid fans. The secrets are awesome, the gameplay is great and feels like fair difficulty with the exception being the final fight of the last mission in episode 1. The levels are each a good size, but never anything to get lost in. The weapons are fun and useful. The plasma gun will slightly steer toward enemies to make it more useful than a chaingun other than increase damage. There are secret one time use weapons that are fun even if they pay homage to other games.

There's really everything an early 90s platform shooter / FPS shooter fan could want throw into this thing. No matter how obscure, there's something in here for everyone. I would say more, but surprises are awesome.

They need to take out the Doom and make this a product that can be sold.

Edited by geo

Wow now I'm really looking forward to playing this! I'm a fan of each genre mixed into this game and from the sound of your recommendation I'm gonna have a blast with this one :D

The game gets brutal in episode 2. Some of the longest levels in platform shooter history at 20 minutes for each. This is at a time where there are still 10 levels left. Its still a lot of fun and provides intensity that other platform shooters can't match. Not even Run and Guns can match the long term intensity.

It keeps pulling out new design tricks, lots of new enemies and somehow even new weapons when it gives you a BFG at the end of episode 1. Its just amazing to see nothing is forgotten or left out. Enemy design is great too. Typical cacos... sure those are fine for episode 1. They belch projectiles. Episode 2 brings out Doom 4 cacos that create short range flame walls. Even the Doom 4 zombies are in the game, but rather than typical zombies, they're the kind that keep raising out of the ground so it turns into a hazard that can waste ammo. Well you can always chainsaw them for ammo, but if you move at all while sawing through them, they'll scratch you. Episode 2 also introduced what I call red vines. They block all shots... so you have to use chainsaws and the game gives you a beefed up chainsaw to make it easier even if it gives you tougher enemies.

* edit *

Completed the game. Looks like I heard wrong about how many levels there were. The last 3 levels reached intolerant levels of enemies and blind jumps. Still a fantastic game.

Edited by geo

On 3/28/2018 at 8:43 AM, geo said:

The first one wasn't that good. Floaty and tough to avoid projectiles, plus they were unwilling to add controller support, but it still looked like a good game and that's 90% of what makes a good game. Plus it crashed with GameMaker log error files a few times.

That's almost exactly how I feel about the first MiniDoom. It looked excellent, but the controls were a bitch to deal with and it did crash only once (when I hit the button to reset the game). Plus, the music was just low-quality music rips of cover songs.
It was mentioned that the development of that game was rushed to meet the release date of Doom 2016, so that would be a valid reason why.

This game, on the other hand, feels much more polished and an improvement in every way. Everything about the controls is buttery-smooth, progression feels natural, the levels feel tough but fair, and there is a genuine challenge aspect that feels more like a puzzle you have to figure out, which makes it all the more rewarding. Plus, the Easter eggs are a thing of absolute beauty.

I love this game. Great music, secrets, atmoshpere, gameplay. If you didn't play just run through first level and you'll see that you love it or hate it.