Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joeboy

Track ball doesn't work.

I know others have had this problem. My track ball doesn't work in Windows 10 for looking around in any ID software game. And I have several! They've always worked before in 7 and XP and COD works fine. Can anybody solve this?

Why are you using a trackball in the first place, may I ask?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Glaice said:

Why are you using a trackball in the first place, may I ask?

Why wouldn't you? Mice are abominations. :P

Take a perfectly fine and intuitive input device like a trackball, flip it upside down, and eventually drop the ball (pardon the pun) when retiring mechanical tracking in favor of optical, and before wireless mice became common; a stupid cord hanging off the back that you must contend with snagging on stuff as you use it. And nothing can fix the need for a mousepad, desktop space, and having to pick it up and drop it off at the other side to continue moving in the same direciton. With a trackball, the cord can't possibly get in the way, you don't need to make constant arm and wrist motions just to use it.

I could go on but I don't want to write an even bigger wall of text.

Edit: I wish I could help you Joeboy, but I know nothing about Windows 10. I'm too cheap to buy it.

Edited by Blastfrog

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blastfrog said:

Edit: I wish I could help you Joeboy, but I know nothing about Windows 10. I'm too cheap to buy it.

It seems you know less about trackballs. They work and function the exact same way mice do, software wise they are mice like trackpads are. Windows 10 is thus not part of the equation.

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2018 at 7:25 PM, Edward850 said:

[Trackballs] work and function the exact same way mice do, software wise they are mice like trackpads are.

You're saying this like I didn't already know such an obvious thing.

It seems you know less about trackballs.

It seems you like to deliberately misconstrue almost anything I say to accuse me of being ignorant, for whatever reason. How kind of you.

Windows 10 is thus not part of the equation.

Perhaps not a properly functioning installation, but a lot can go wrong in an OS, especially in one that has a lot of legacy baggage. Neither of us can say what the cause is, or isn't for that matter. OP hasn't given enough info to narrow down what the cause may be.

And how exactly does the last sentence of your post follow the previous two? You're not making much sense.

Edited by Blastfrog

Posted (edited)

If the trackball already works on his desktop, it's already installed and functioning as a mouse. Considering the user is talking about games specifically and not the desktop, one would naturally assume the mouse is already installed and confirmed functioning.

Seems like Joeboys computer broke down completely, or why doesn't he give us more details?
BTW: I'm a trackie, too. Trackballs do not require as much space as a mouse, the work on any
surface and they don't run away, when the surface is tilted. Logi M570 rulez ;-)