Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

Elementalism, an ambitious new GZDoom mapset. Phase 1 out now!

Just beat the first episode and already I can tell this is gonna be one of my favourite WADs, I also can't wait for phase 2

Also FYI, for the title of the final Earth level, "Deus Vermem" is complete gibberish and doesn't mean anything

2 hours ago, Jiggahertz said:

Also FYI, for the title of the final Earth level, "Deus Vermem" is complete gibberish and doesn't mean anything

It means "god of the worm".

Vermem is the accusative (direct object) singular form of "vermis", which means worm. Accusative plural would be vermes. Though it can be correct to use the singular to mean the concept of worms, rather than one individual worm, cf. the phrase "post hominem vermis, post vermem fœtor et horror", "after the human, the worm; after the worm, stench and horror", which refers to the worm as the agent of decay for a dead body. Kind of like in The Conqueror Worm where the same thing happens.

13 hours ago, Gez said:

It means "god of the worm".

Vermem is the accusative (direct object) singular form of "vermis", which means worm. Accusative plural would be vermes. Though it can be correct to use the singular to mean the concept of worms, rather than one individual worm, cf. the phrase "post hominem vermis, post vermem fœtor et horror", "after the human, the worm; after the worm, stench and horror", which refers to the worm as the agent of decay for a dead body. Kind of like in The Conqueror Worm where the same thing happens.

If you wanted to say "God of the worm" then you would need to use the genitive case, which would be "Deus vermis"

Edited by Jiggahertz

16 hours ago, Jiggahertz said:

Just beat the first episode and already I can tell this is gonna be one of my favourite WADs, I also can't wait for phase 2

Glad you're enjoying it!

16 hours ago, Jiggahertz said:

What?  Google Translate lied to me?  Nooooo........

Just played through Earth 1 and Fire 1. Cool mapset! Just a question that I think hasn't been asked: what's the intended sector light mode for this mapset? I played using "Dark".

6 minutes ago, Catpho said:

Just played through Earth 1 and Fire 1. Cool mapset! Just a question that I think hasn't been asked: what's the intended sector light mode for this mapset? I played using "Dark".

I think the sector light mode is specified in the MAPINFO so it'll be automatically be set to the intended one for each map.

I just finished the entire mapset and I would just like to say it is hands down the best doom experience I have ever had. The mapset has inspired me to get into doom mapping. I can't wait for phase 2.

Edited by Raith138

Hello, I'd really like to play this WAD, but I seem to be missing some textures. In Earth 1, in the very first room, are some plants hanging from the ceiling, and around them is a black curtain which I assume means that the texture is missing. I'm running the latest version of GZDoom, 4.10. Is there anything I can do?

Screenshot 2023-06-14 160121.png

55 minutes ago, neast5006 said:

Hello, I'd really like to play this WAD, but I seem to be missing some textures. In Earth 1, in the very first room, are some plants hanging from the ceiling, and around them is a black curtain which I assume means that the texture is missing. I'm running the latest version of GZDoom, 4.10. Is there anything I can do?

Screenshot 2023-06-14 160121.png

Check your renderer. Either be on hardware or vulkan. 

10 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Check your renderer. Either be on hardware or vulkan. 

Yes, that was it, thank you!

Hi (my 1st post here eva), pls be kind...

Just a comment regarding the first Water Map. It is easily possible to "break" the exit if you play silent like me.

(i.e. run around getting the monsters to take each other out)

To break it, simply lure a bunch of the flying monsters up out of the final large area, through the Blue Door,

where you can arrange for at least one of them to get into a fight with a Baron/Knight of Hell which is up on the overlooking

level. The fight never ends because the monster floats up under an overhang and stays there, unreachable by

the Baron/Knight.

Later, when all of the other monsters in the final area are dead, the bars to the exit won't open 'coz there is that one last

monster. I had to use noclip to get back and kill it.

2 hours ago, Raith138 said:

Ummm...

Yeah this is pretty accurate to be honest.  I do fully intend to come back to Elementalism one day, but I'm needing a good long break before attempting anything as big again.