Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

Elementalism, an ambitious new GZDoom mapset. Phase 1 out now!

Puttin' on my Critical Hat: That bridge looks fantastic (as expected; it's the focal point), as does the glowing lava below, but the cliffs leave much to be desired. They're practically a straight line parallel to the bridge, and the ceiling height is uniform, making it look like a square hallway with a sky ceiling rather than a natural canyon.

7 hours ago, Xaser said:

Puttin' on my Critical Hat: That bridge looks fantastic (as expected; it's the focal point), as does the glowing lava below, but the cliffs leave much to be desired. They're practically a straight line parallel to the bridge, and the ceiling height is uniform, making it look like a square hallway with a sky ceiling rather than a natural canyon.

What destroys the illusion of naturalness for me are the small lava streams. It looks like they are just straight lines perpendiculat to the canyon. That's nitpicky, though, but I guess that's allowed on a project that claims to deliver "top-tier level design" ;)

21 minutes ago, boris said:

What destroys the illusion of naturalness for me are the small lava streams. It looks like they are just straight lines perpendiculat to the canyon. That's nitpicky, though, but I guess that's allowed on a project that claims to deliver "top-tier level design" ;)

All the screenshots are works in progress, subject to change at any time.

Not sure about that dark 2 room to be honest. Left hand wall looks kinda plain and although the angle is a bit awkward the texture for the front of the steps doesn't seem to match the sides?

16 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Not sure about that dark 2 room to be honest. Left hand wall looks kinda plain and although the angle is a bit awkward the texture for the front of the steps doesn't seem to match the sides?

That Dark 2 room is still work in progress, it's more just an example of the theme we're going for. 

Eris is right, it looks a little strange and a tad boring.

I really like the color of the room there, though, that rich violet, it's my favorite color.

Since Bauul beat me to the punch, now I can ask you to keep that violet aesthetic for the theme there.

My excitement has only increased with seeing those new screenshots, especially the Dark 1 one.

I'm loving the use of colours, especially the purple. Though, it that a misalignment on the right side of Dark 2?

In any case, looks really good. Keep up the fab work.

I've seen this the first time now and glancing at the first post... jesus, amazing.

11 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Just wanted to add this screenshot quickly to let you all know this is still very actively being worked on. this is a screenshot from one of the maps i'm making.

* pic *

It looks like a freaking Quake screenshot.

9 hours ago, KVELLER said:

It looks like a freaking Quake screenshot.

Is that a good thing....or....? =D

6 hours ago, Phade102 said:

Is that a good thing....or....? =D

Of course it is a good thing!

I understand that this megawad is pretty far away with the much of work still waiting to be done, yet I can't help but be curious about how this is gonna play. Is this gonna be an exploration-heavy or will it play in a more straightforward way? Eternal Doom or Speed of Doom? What about the fights? Sunder or Memento Mori?

@AL-97 It'll play quite straightforward.  We're targeting pretty classic gameplay: no extremes in any direction. We've a rough internal target that each map on a blind playthrough will take between 10 to 30 minutes. So not too tiny, but nothing too over the top either. Monster encounters will be challenging but not slaughterish: interesting and memorable more than impossibly difficult or lengthy.

Basically we're aiming for something that looks as advanced as we can make it, but plays like a classic megawad that everyone can enjoy.

To clarify,

22 minutes ago, Bauul said:

no extremes in any direction

doesn't mean there isn't variety. Some levels are linear, some are open exploration, some are highly focused on combat while others are more exploration based, and some maps are a healthy all-round mix. :)

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

To clarify,

doesn't mean there isn't variety. Some levels are linear, some are open exploration, some are highly focused on combat while others are more exploration based, and some maps are a healthy all-round mix. :)

Oh yes, totally.  I just meant there won't be extremes.  Not quite The Given nor Pale Monument.  But certainly lots of variety.

Edited by Bauul

Wow I see this by the first time! This weekend was just groundbreaking for me: DOOM 3 PBR with parallax, Slayer Chronicles and this thread now! Looking at those screenshot I just can't belive it how great are there. Full of mood, colors, details, amazing skill with mapmaking, models, new pbr technics - just amazing!

Edited by Teder

Absolutely beautiful screenshots. Stunning sceneries. If there is a showcase wad for GZDoom in 2019, this one is going to be the first one I know about for sure. I am also glad to read you are not going down the slaughter map path. These maps are supposed to be enjoyed and not just be playgrounds for mindless mass butchering. Will keep all my fingers crossed for you guys to achieve a smooth release without bugs and delays!

Very exciting-looking project! I have to say that it's really nice to see someone implement the four elements into DOOM like this. When I was working on the Brotherhood of Ruin in 1999-2001 I considered adding a theme of them into the wad in a pure mayan-aztec environment, but due to lack of my skill in scripting at the time and technology it proved to be too big an endeavour for me alone. Nice to see it happen in a bit different scope! :)