Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

Elementalism, an ambitious new GZDoom mapset. Phase 1 out now!

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

However, to give you a taste of what they have in-store for you, here is a glimpse of the Test Arena with the Fire Boss unleashed in all its glory.

XtzFA9K.gif

We can't wait to show you more when its ready!

Seeing that I couldn't help but think about that guy who recently let off that tirade about being inconsiderate when mapping for "too high" hardware standards... :D

Niiiice screenshots, btw. Can't wait to play this.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Screenshot_Doom_20191006_010448.png

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." - Revelation 13:18

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

Elementalism will now release in two phases: Phase 1 and Phase 2 [...] Phase 1 is well underway: approximately half of the 15 maps are mostly complete, with all the others seeing good progress.

I love the sound of that! Rest assured that I'll be playing Phase 1 the minute it launches, however far it is from now. c:

Hype levels have once again risen by about 666%.

Why do the best things take so much time? ;_;

I'm getting massive Dark Souls vibes from those recent screenshots, especially with the mapname showing up on screen the way it does. Absolutely love it!

I can already picture my laptop catching fire trying to run this :p

Any idea about minimum specs required?

Everything about this is looking so ridiculously good, it's unbelievable. Just putting the hub map shots side by side with the starting point of E1M1 and thinking about how far Doom has come is awe-inspiring. Thank you to everyone involved in this project for proving that this game can still leave me speechless after 25 years of playing it.

Man now this is noice. I absolutely love the new HUD as well, it reminds me of NC HUD for some reason though.

I just noticed that the HUD is the exact same shape and design as that thing hanging from the ceiling in the hub map. Not sure if it has any significance beyond that, but that's a cool little detail!

21 minutes ago, AwakeOnPhobos said:

I just noticed that the HUD is the exact same shape and design as that thing hanging from the ceiling in the hub map. Not sure if it has any significance beyond that, but that's a cool little detail!

Observant eye you have there. ;)

Very nice HUD, and incredible screenshots. The sequence with the portals and all the colour is awesome.

Like everyone says, this looks incredible. The HUD seems really cool and functional, but it also looks noticeably "higher-res" than the standard STBAR graphics. I guess this is something that can be changed with resolutions anyway (or abandoned in favor of the modified classic status bar, which is a cool touch). But to be *incredibly* nitpicky, it looks a little off to me to have the high-res HUD with its fine details and smooth curves, but then have those chunky, pixel-y classic status bar numbers floating above it, for example in the lower left part of the HUD in the first screenshot. I'm sure this will blow people out of the water regardless, though!

10 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

it looks a little off to me to have the high-res HUD with its fine details and smooth curves, but then have those chunky, pixel-y classic status bar numbers floating above it

I dunno, I sorta dig it. But I can see where you're coming from. It might be a good idea to have an alternate high-res font - something that would aesthetically fit the rest of the HUD.

6 hours ago, AD_79 said:

I'm getting massive Dark Souls vibes from those recent screenshots, especially with the mapname showing up on screen the way it does. Absolutely love it!

Not going to lie, the Soulsborne series is my favorite after Doom, and a lot of the team are big fans of it.  I have always seen a lot of parallels between the way Doom and Dark Souls present their stories: a little bit in written text, but mostly in environmental story-telling.  

We're shooting for a similar vibe here: while the mapset itself has no "story" in the sense of a plot that progresses as you play, every single episode has a full premise and history, and it all ties together into an overarching theme.  If you want to just blast through the levels you can go right ahead, but for people who enjoy environmental story-telling there'll be little touches you can appreciate.

And yes, my love of Dark Souls may extend to the bosses to this mapset too...

6 hours ago, plums said:

I can already picture my laptop catching fire trying to run this :p

Any idea about minimum specs required?

By design Elementalism pushes the boundaries of UDMF and GZDoom, so at the very least you'll need a modern enough PC to take advantage of the OpenGL features we use.  But we're not being flippant about system requirements: we want as many people as possible to enjoy this.  While currently we don't have a "minimum" system spec, we do have a target rig: my GTX 1060 laptop runs Doom 2 Map01 at 180 fps, and using the same rig (and the same graphical settings) we are targeting 60fps on average for Elementalism, with an absolute lowest acceptable frame rate of 35fps if the scene really warrants it.  

36 minutes ago, Big Ol Billy said:

But to be *incredibly* nitpicky, it looks a little off to me to have the high-res HUD with its fine details and smooth curves, but then have those chunky, pixel-y classic status bar numbers floating above it, for example in the lower left part of the HUD in the first screenshot.

We were thinking of updating those too to be honest.  We we torn between just showing numbers with a higher-res font and a graphical approach, but I'm thinking numbers would just work fine.  On that note, we're also planning on inserting a whole new hi-res font, so any on-screen messages will match to the hud-font too.

3 hours ago, AwakeOnPhobos said:

Indeed, keen eye you have!  This may be a recurring reference to something we've not yet shown off.

Good thing you didn't release the images of the hub on April 1st, nobody would have belived them to be real.

My brain melted from the absolute awesomeness of those screenshots. Now I don't think I have the mental capacity to actually play the WAD. I don't know if I should thank you or sue you, haha!

Will this work fullspeed on Doom Legacy or an arbitrary prboom version from 2011? Asking for a friend.

24 minutes ago, VGA said:

Will this work fullspeed on Doom Legacy or an arbitrary prboom version from 2011? Asking for a friend.

The mod states this is a GZDoom mod (NOT a ZDoom mod), so you'll have to use the upstream GZDoom versions. That is, you'll either have to use GZDoom, or, if you're lucky, it'll work on LZDoom, but no guarantee on that one. If neither of those work well, I imagine tough luck :(

37 minutes ago, 3saster said:

The mod states this is a GZDoom mod (NOT a ZDoom mod), so you'll have to use the upstream GZDoom versions. That is, you'll either have to use GZDoom, or, if you're lucky, it'll work on LZDoom, but no guarantee on that one. If neither of those work well, I imagine tough luck :(

It wasn't a serious question, I was making fun of someone :D