Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bauul

Elementalism, an ambitious new GZDoom mapset. Phase 1 out now!

GZDoom megawads, now that's something not seen so often around here (In Doomworld at least)! Screenshots look sweet, can't wait to play this, I love to see more map projects that make use of G/ZDoom's features! Now this just reminded me to finish the Alfonzone, I should get to that.

Looks great, the use of color and themes hits all my right buttons.

I've thought about doing a G/ZDoom mapset just to take advantage of things like slopes and lighting/aesthetic effects and such, while still keeping core Doom gameplay. That seems like exactly what you're doing, so best of luck and I look forward to this mapset being awesome.

Man looks amazing. The thing about it: GZDoom could do a lot of this stuff for awhile now, but everyone maps for Boom format..... yuck. Glad to see someone finally pushing the port to its limits.

by the way, what about music? What are you guys using? Please God I hope it’s not MIDI...

I came.

Been wanting a wad like this for some time, glad to see it in the works. I knew a super-fancy GZDoom megawad for Single Player would pique interest. I agree with jdagenet that MIDI will probably be unfitting for maps of this level of detail. He's makes fantastic music, I'm sure his style would jive well based on the screenshots.

Can't wait to play this!

@jdagenet and @Doomkid: We're still working out the details, but yes, the plan will be to use full fidelty music, ideally original compositions if we're able. You're absolutely right, midi wouldn't really fit in this situation.

47 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Looks like this could be "Travail" for Doom. Don't you dare cancel this!

We have no intention of cancelling it =) Its been in development for a while now, but we're only really just kicking stuff into gear.

Despite being a Boom-player, I'll happily try this out. This looks really good! Keep up the great work! :D

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

the plan will be to use full fidelty music, ideally original compositions if we're able

Colour me interested, let me know if you're looking for contributions!

Thanks for your interest everyone! for now we aren't looking for anyone, but down the line we will definitely be interested in testers. The mapping team is pretty concrete, set in stone, ect.

I'd like to say a massive thank you to all of you sharing positive comments and excitement for the project! :D

15 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Glad you guys set a reasonable release data hahahaha

We'd rather be realistic, heh. On an aside note I personally am working on a mostly-solo megawad "on the side"; which will get it's own announcement thread when I eventually come up with a name and make more progress heh.

9 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

I would really like to participate.

Unfortunately we're keeping slots for new mappers closed at the current time of writing; however if we as a team decide that we're in need of some extra talent we'll certainly be in touch! :)

5 hours ago, jdagenet said:

Man looks amazing. The thing about it: GZDoom could do a lot of this stuff for awhile now, but everyone maps for Boom format..... yuck. Glad to see someone finally pushing the port to its limits.

by the way, what about music? What are you guys using? Please God I hope it’s not MIDI...

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I agree with jdagenet that MIDI will probably be unfitting for maps of this level of detail. He makes fantastic music, I'm sure his style would jive well based on the screenshots.

19 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Colour me interested, let me know if you're looking for contributions!

To follow on from what Phade said, we're not looking for mappers; but I'm relatively certain we're interested in getting musicians on board - @jdagenet can you advise if you're interested or if Doomkid's possibly 'put words in your mouth'? :P

@Eris Falling we'd absolutely love to have you on board. Would you mind popping me a pm and sending me some tracks you've composed before so we can have a quick listen? As said earlier on my stream announcing this project, we're operating as though all of the mappers are the team leader, so I'll pitch it forward and we can make a group decision! Oh, and if you have discord let me know your ID (username#0000) so we can chat easier. ^^

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

Don't you dare cancel this!

No chance! This will see the light of day, don't you worry! :)

@Dragonfly Doomkid has heard some of my music and he’s a big fan of it, so I wouldn’t say he’s exaggerating lol.

But yes, I’d be willing to provide some music work, we could discuss in detail about it if you’re interested. I’m in your Discord as well as the multiplayer Doom Discord under the same name so feel free to shoot me a pm sometime!

21 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Neat! Cool to see a GZDoom megawad in development—feel like we don't get much of those (at least on DW). New weapons and bosses sound yummy.

Very much this. Goddamn this looks awesome! Finally another GZDoom-heavy megawad to look forward to playing after the masterpiece that was the Alfonzone.

21 hours ago, Bauul said:

Elementalism takes classic Doom gameplay [...]

So no slaughtermaps?

1 hour ago, boris said:

So no slaughtermaps?

We are aiming for a challenging experience that doesn't rely on massive slaughtermaps. For some, this may be easier, but we want the detail, the gameplay to speak for itself instead of the challenge of thousands of monsters.

It's apraiseworthy approach. It'd be a shame if these beautiful maps couldn't be enjoyed due to being too "populated". This is more an explorer style project (at least it looks like) and should also have the appropriate gameplay.

Haven't been this hyped for an announcement since Ancient Aliens.

I'm definitely interested in this and hope to see some progress in the future.

Right now I'm studying musicmaking and I'm pretty amateurish, but maybe later on in the future I'd attempt to contribute some music to this project, if you will still be needing musicians until then.

Keep up the fantastic work! I can count the decent G/ZDoom megawads out there on less than two hands and I've always wanted to see something like this wad. I have high hopes. :)

2 hours ago, boris said:

So no slaughtermaps?

Can't expect these mappers to build slaughtermaps, they're not into that sort of gameplay. There's no point in building maps around gameplay they don't enjoy. Also, with that amount of GZDoom feature use it's rather unlikely a medium to large sized slaughtermap would run properly for some people to begin with.

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Can't expect these mappers to build slaughtermaps, they're not into that sort of gameplay. There's no point in building maps around gameplay they don't enjoy. Also, with that amount of GZDoom feature use it's rather unlikely a medium to large sized slaughtermap would run properly for some people to begin with.

We aren't interested in slaughtermaps at all.

Edited by Phade102 : I apparently don't know what i'm talking about.

Holy hell, I'm loving what I'm seeing. Most definitely keeping an eye peeled for this!