Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

The most advanced ZDoom mod?

What's the most advanced mod for ZDoom?i'm curious since we all know all those amazing GZDoom mods but the ZDoom ones seem pretty unknown.

The most advanced ZDoom mod is, by definition, the most advanced GZDoom mod. Remember the two are basically one and the same nowadays.

"Most Advanced" is totally subjective unless we arrive at a definition of what "advanced" means. But that's no fun at all. :P

Relatedly, rather than consider a ZDoom/GZDoom divide (for the reasons Weasel mentioned), it may make more sense to think of it in terms of Software-renderer-compatible vs GL-only.

Having said both those things, default nomination goes to ZDCMP2. It's got new weapons, monsters, a huge map with tons of scripting and visual effects, an objectives/logs system, and a fancy-pants credits sequence -- and it all works in the software renderer (albeit slower than GL in quite a few places).

17 minutes ago, Apaul27 said:

I don't know what "ZDCMP2" stands for?

ZDoom Community Map Project 2. =D

Depends on what you mean advanced.

What about this?

On 3/29/2018 at 7:02 AM, SOSU said:

What's the most advanced mod for ZDoom?

There's probably not a single answer to this question. Each year we see new mods that capitalize on new (G)ZDooM features. Something that was ground-breaking in 2010 is unlikely to be the king of the hill in 2018.

Perhaps the better question might be: What are the most advanced mods for ZDooM in each of the past years since ZDooM was released in 1998?

On 3/29/2018 at 7:02 AM, SOSU said:

What's the most advanced mod for ZDoom?

Well for huds, it's the Ultimate DoomVisor HUD, because it not just almost 200MB, but also had A LOT of features that it comes with, and had's a few addons right out of the box

On 3/29/2018 at 5:27 PM, Xaser said:

"Most Advanced" is totally subjective unless we arrive at a definition of what "advanced" means. But that's no fun at all. :P

Relatedly, rather than consider a ZDoom/GZDoom divide (for the reasons Weasel mentioned), it may make more sense to think of it in terms of Software-renderer-compatible vs GL-only.

Having said both those things, default nomination goes to ZDCMP2. It's got new weapons, monsters, a huge map with tons of scripting and visual effects, an objectives/logs system, and a fancy-pants credits sequence -- and it all works in the software renderer (albeit slower than GL in quite a few places).

i terms of quality, i think yes. it's hugely complex.

I recall that void.wad was the most advanced for its time, but not now of course.

Edited by Avoozl

On 3/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, Apaul27 said:

Well for huds, it's the Ultimate DoomVisor HUD, because it not just almost 200MB, but also had A LOT of features that it comes with, and had's a few addons right out of the box

Meanwhile I'm left wondering why a HUD mod is 200 megs.

From a technical standpoint, I want to say Lilith.

From a visual/thematic/gameplay standpoint, Community Is Falling 3.

If you're aiming for "advanced" as in pure graphical eye candy, Total Chaos would be a good idea. 

Almost looks like something out of Unity, but it all runs on GZDoom

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

If you're aiming for "advanced" as in pure graphical eye candy, Total Chaos would be a good idea. 

Almost looks like something out of Unity, but it all runs on GZDoom

"Runs" is generous given the FPS a mid-tier PC gets

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Good lord, GZDoom can make an idtech1 game look like it came out in the early 2000s.

The fun thing is that this was before @dpJudas arrived and brought bloom, PBR support, and more realistic dynlight attenuation, among other effects.

5 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

"Runs" is generous given the FPS a mid-tier PC gets

Define "mid-tier", or were you playing it on a more recent version of GZDoom? GZDoom supports multisampling and for some reason has it set at 16x by default. Setting it to 0 should dramatically increase the frame rate. My build is a i3-6100/RX 460 (low-ish end?) and dicking around in the Total Chaos alpha for a few minutes i was getting between 80-110 consistently with multisampling off.

1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

Define "mid-tier", or were you playing it on a more recent version of GZDoom? GZDoom supports multisampling and for some reason has it set at 16x by default. Setting it to 0 should dramatically increase the frame rate. My build is a i3-6100/RX 460 (low-ish end?) and dicking around in the Total Chaos alpha for a few minutes i was getting between 80-110 consistently with multisampling off.

I remember it running slowly when I last tried it but I just tested it out now and it ran fine. Must've had multisampling or something on at the time.

IMHO,

• from a strictly feature rich environment that would have to be, regardless of how one feels about them, Brutal Doom and Russian Overkill,
  • from a gameplay pov, anything by Enjay (eg GENE-TECH) and Tormentor (eg Stronghold),
  • from an aesthetic pov it is still PFEnh in combination with QEffects when added to most pwads.