Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Interesting maps/wads made by young people

Hello , I don't know if a similar thread exists about this subject but I just want to ask if you know good wads where the mapper was particularly Young . I consider as young when the mapper was under 18 years old during the development.

I know that Matt Tropiano made his megawad "Dimensions of Time" when he was 13.

Ad_79 is known to be a Young and  promising mapper. He released his megawad "50 monsters" when he was 16/17 if I'm not wrong.

Malcolm Sailor started releasing maps in 1995 when he was 12. The Talosian Incident, CHORD_NG, CHORDG, and CHORD3, the works he is remembered for in Doomworld's Top 100 WADs, were released when he was approximately 14, 14, 16, and 17 years old, respectively. Most of his released materials were made from 12 to 14 years old, not counting his enormous collection of scraps.

I made Tantrum when I was 16 (but released a year after it was made, since I didn't know about idgames at first!). I guess a majority of mappers were kind of that age back then.

For what it's worth, I made the maps in my 'Imperfections has its charms' mapset (but released later) when I was 14-16, my NDCP2 and 1024Clau contributions when I was 16-17 and Speed of Doom when I was 17-18. It is hard to believe it's that long ago already now.

I assume there are a lot of mappers who were under 18. Doom was their first foray into making maps.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:27 AM, Roofi said:

Ad_79 is known to be a Young and  promising mapper. He released his megawad "50 monsters" when he was 16/17 if I'm not wrong.

If you want specifics, I was fifteen when I first properly released it, then posted Violence on my sixteenth birthday.

Oh, and before I forget to actually contribute something, Breezeep is around the same age as I am, and has contributed some excellent maps to the community over the past few years.

I would bet that the majority of projects after 1996 or so were staffed by a majority of 13-18 year olds. For me it was the advent of point-n-click wad management tools (wintex and wadauthor) coupled with the availability of tutorials/documentation on this "internet" thing - also being a general fuck-off in highschool won't ruin your life quite like attempting the same in college.

@AD_79For some reason, while I was running 50monstr.wad, I had a feeling that you are a cute young man. Can't really tell why... It turns out my feeling is sort of correct ;P

I was between 10 and 13 when I made my various maps in the Old Map Compilation. Scourge was made by 13-15 year old me (with the secret map being when I'd turned 16); Warpzone was produced whilst I was 15 and refined at 16. I think the first version of White Light was at 15 as well. Scars of the Wounded Prey and beyond were 16 and up, though, so I imagine the relative youth expires there... 12 years ago. 

looking at all my released maps on the archives (link here, ignore page 2 as that dude isn't me), which actually isn't all that many, looks like I was super young for all of those. either 13 or 14 for almost all of those, which is pretty nuts because of how long ago that actually was

I made a few maps when I was 14-16. Never posted them, lost them in an HD change, and they all sucked real hard from a gameplay point.

That said, Shrooms referenced them a fair bit. The best map I made back then had quite a few windows that showed the sky and a little shrine, which ended up being the end-of-level building in Shrooms (That also makes me wonder how uncommon a WAD with the level exit looking almost the same in all levels is). The maze and the final battle in MAP02 of Shrooms were strongly based on the same map, and a few rooms in MAP03 of Shrooms were based on bits and pieces of these maps, specially the "fleshy whale mouth".

My wads were decent when I was 15/16 ... kinda. much better than my crap I did with Waded when I was 8, which were basic open sectors, and mazes and stuff. By 19 I was starting to get pretty decent IMO, but then I kinda sorta... gave up.

congratulations to everyone who is young

at fifteen i probably threw a tantrum at deu turning one of my insane jejune maze maps inside out and deleting all my "hard work"

AD putting out an entire mega wad at the same age boggles my mind haha

Winter's Fury was started when I was 13, and finished when I was 17.

In contrast to the thread's expectations, I think it's fairly common to see some of the best projects made at around 16~, due to having a large pool of creativity and lots of free time to bring it to reality. This at least applied to me, but probably isn't the case for everyone. All the good ideas I think of now I have to write down/draw up, otherwise I'll forget them by the time I get the chance to make them...

When I was about 13, I made my first useless maps with the help of the Tricks of the Doom Gurus tutorials and editing tools provided on CD-ROM. I also made a dehacked gameplay overhaul, with which my dad heroically played through all of Doom2.

After many years of distraction, I released Toilet of the Gods when I was 34.

Pretty much every thread for a map I made was made when I was less than 18 years old and posted in 2015 (I'm 19 now).

I still map but everything I make now I'm just keeping to myself because they're either part of a project of mine or are for someone else's. I really should just make a cool neat single map and post it here again in the post-2015 Doomworld. It's also going to be hard to calculate how long I've worked on a project since whenever because I don't keep track of that but one of them is definitely 5+ years.

I started mapping when I was 9 but was godawful at it until I was about 13. The oldest surviving stuff is minidm.wad/dkplanet.wad, made when I was 12/13. Some of my maps from age 14 are in Sabbat Martyr. UAC Rebellion was made from age 14-16. Given how long I've been mapping I should be like 9999999999x better at it than I am, my mapping skills have been in a permanent stasis since about 2006

EDIT: Provided some links to screenshots of my oldest surviving maps

Heck I'm so old, the actual Doom game didn't come out until I was around 18. 

I think I released my first map when I was around 20, to the local BBS.

processingcontrol was quite a young and dynamic mapper

His maps for interception was fun and a secret which makes you force glide was very creative idea.some others which comes to mind are

Eris Falling

Obsidian

Khorus

joshy

joe-ilya

Breezeep

AD_79

I suppose it's worth noting that I also released my first PWAD, Interception, at the age of 15 years old.

EDIT: It was a group effort however.

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio

In keeping with the 15 theme, I was around 15 when I made this, my very first map built in anticipation of the then-upcoming Doom movie:

For whatever reason, it gained a surprising amount of attention on YouTube for being a decade+ old unreleased map. Of course, the reason the map went unreleased is because, for reasons that still remain utterly baffling and nonsensical to this day, its upload was rejected by the idgames archive. This disheartening rejection discouraged me from attempting Doom mapping again for the next 12 years.

^^ infected zombie ambient sound ftw

To keep with the thread, I made my first (Heretic) map when I was 10. Never released it though.