Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Musicians, do you feel like mappers use your midis appropriately?

Question for the musicians here. When you encounter one of your midis in a Doom level, what is your typical reaction after the initial surprise wears off? Are you usually satisfied with how your music fits the level, or do you think that people often misuse your songs because they don't understand what kind of mood you had in mind while composing them? Have you ever considered writing guidelines that would explain what your midis are intended for? Tell us some stories, give us some examples of what worked or didn't worked.

For me it's a total fallacy that music has to synchronize the mood of visuals (be it film or gaming or whatever). The most memorable soundtracks depart completely from the expected, and just do their own thing. It's annoying how anything with the slightest hint of a sword or chainmail has to riff off of Gladiator's ost with Lisa Gerard-y "generic ethnic wailing" vocals. 

"Orinoco Flow" playing during a torture scene in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is an example of making something not fitting, yet enhancing a scene and making it memorable. Or Trading nukes with nations you've had vendetta with for 1000 years in Civ 4 actually had a profound emotional impact with the John Adams tunes swimming in and out of happiness and melancholy and general experimental weirdness:

Same goes for midi, the cheesey disco beats in HR (well, RoTT) are forever burned in my mind as "demon killin music"... so I reckon musicians should be given a free hand, generally.

Tangerine Nightmare MAP06 used one of my MIDIs and it struck me as an odd choice to use a dark ambient-like track on a fairly bright and action-packed map, it kinda worked in the periods without fighting.. in that particular case there was a lot of.. feeling I guess put into that piece - it has more of an actual meaning than other things I've written (the name of "The Infinite Labyrinth" is itself a metaphor after all), but eye of the beholder and all that. My view of what the MIDI is and how I would use it I guess carries a bit of weight as that's what I intended for it, I guess JCD or whoever picked it for that map if it wasn't him has a different interpretation of what the track is and how it should be used, and that's ok. Ultimately, I can't complain about my music being used on quality maps.

If a track by me is used and it's 10 years old or more, then yes the MIDI is used inappropriately because the MIDI is crap

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If a track by me is used and it's 10 years old or more, then yes the MIDI is used inappropriately because the MIDI is crap

Ageism!

No seriously I was writing rushed bullshit back then.

I mean... not that I don't still write rushed bullshit today, it's just that I'm now aware of how music theory actually works and can actually write competent compositions with definitive structure and harmony, instead of basically just winging it on a Dunning-Kruger jetstream.

Counterattack MAP01 song was really well used, IMO.

I wasn't expecting at all when I loaded the wad lol

Also, Dragonfly's level on super mayhem 2017. It fitted really well with the more colourful theme.

3 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Also, Dragonfly's level on super mayhem 2017. It fitted really well with the more colourful theme.

Was that you? The textfile (and hence the wiki) says that music track is "Ambient/Djent" by ninja.kitty, but I didn't bother to investigate though I noticed the MIDI on the map was neither of those two genres, heh.

21 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Was that you? The textfile (and hence the wiki) says that music track is "Ambient/Djent" by ninja.kitty, but I didn't bother to investigate though I noticed the MIDI on the map was neither of those two genres, heh.

Hmmm Maybe I'm also mistaking something.... the song indeed don't have anything djent at all lol (I also haven't played the last version of the mapset, so it could've also been changed too)

In my opinion, the only time a MIDI is used inappropriately is if the artist/composer isn't credited for it.

3 hours ago, Vorpal said:

For me it's a total fallacy that music has to synchronize the mood of visuals (be it film or gaming or whatever). The most memorable soundtracks depart completely from the expected, and just do their own thing.

I love when songs don't fit the scene, the Guardians of the Galaxy films are a perfect example of oddball song choice done well, and a perfect example of why it doesn't need to be a certain type of music to fit.

mappers are using my music appropriately if it nets them comments that are like "Shame about the music, though"

modern examples include pccp2 map32 and altitude

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

PL2 map11 and map30 have great music, you goober.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

It was my suggestion that Mechadon use that song in CA. :D

Haha thanks a lot! :O