Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Crunchynut44

Would you give up your accumulated knowledge of DOOM in order to have a fresh start?

I wouldn't mind it all that much. I've only been playing Doom for 3 years, give or take. The additional experience I've had with games might make me change my mind on the IWAD maps.

No, doom it's not the kind of game that relies on surprises or unexpected things happening, i don't feel i need to wipe my memory to fully enjoy all the doom levels again 

Edited by DMPhobos : typo

No. The reason I play Doom is because it was one of my childhood games. It was on 3DO, but the important part about FPS came to me when I first played Doom on PC. The speed is important. That's the reason why I, for example, hate Doom 3. Without that lesson I would be playing Counter-Strike instead of Doom and a ton of Quake 3 during my mid and late school years. The scarier part is, the way I see it, if that would happen, I wouldn't even think about touching Doom.

Hmm.. Could it be temporary? Cause if so, absolutely! Some of my fondest gaming memories come from my first playthrough of Doom and Doom 2 so reliving those moments would be amazing. But all in all, it's mostly just me missing simpler times in the end :P

This is something that won't happen unless I'm hit by trauma or a degenerative disease, which is never intentional. Besides, what would result if it really happened? I wouldn't play Doom now, because other, more mundane games would catch my attention.

I have a vivid recollection of playing Episode 3 in the summer of 1994, when the afternoon sun was trying to batter its way through my window shades into my already-hot office. Playing the Hell episode in a hot room is an experience I have never been able to replicate. So, maybe yes, I could be persuaded to forego some of my accumulated knowledge (such as it is) to feel that again.

On 31/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, Gez said:

Unless the fresh start also involves making me 20 years younger, no.

Heh. Exactly this. I doubt i'd find a pixelated game appealing today, and I wouldn't want to consider single imp balls dangerous again.

5 minutes ago, Pirx said:

.... I wouldn't want to consider single imp balls dangerous again.

Ditto, particularly until I learnt how to side-strafe to avoid fireballs.

Another thing I vividly recall was the boss battle in E2M8. I just couldn't dodge those infernal rockets to save my life.

9 minutes ago, ReX said:

Another thing I vividly recall was the boss battle in E2M8. I just couldn't dodge those infernal rockets to save my life.

Having played Doom 2 first, I remember thinking that the revenant homing rockets where near impossible to dodge. Also I was particularly afraid of everything in MAP06. Something about that map scared the 6 year old me a lot. In fact, I feel uneasy whenever I play that map even today.

41 minutes ago, ReX said:

Ah, that was painful experience. With 3DO version's controls being highly unresponsive and that stupid gamepad I had with L and R buttons on the front, it took a week for me to kill an imp on E1M1 on my first try.

4 hours ago, ReX said:

aw man, that cyb was teh terror. kept splattering me from across the map. 

No, especially now that part of the fun for me is my accumulated knowledge of Doom.   I've enjoyed the ride and wouldn't give it up for anything.