Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

The Doomwad Megaworld Club plays: Sunlust

TITLEPIC.png.afb1e04a6316b056fcd2698b27167189.png

What is the Doomwad Megaworld Club?

This is a place where we play wads and then talk about them. Every day, a new map is played, and then we discuss the map and think about what we've learned. Much like the DW megawad club, actually.

We're playing Sunlust this month because I missed the dwmc of Sunlust and I want to play Sunlust.

Can I join?

Actually you have no choice but to join. You came here... you breathed the air...

Is this an April fools joke and/or shitpost?

No!

What levels am I allowed to post about?

Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it’s the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?

Nahhh.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?

Voting begins on the 25th of the current month. Write "***" before the name of the wad you're voting for, or it doesn't count. For example:

*** avj.wad

Alright, get cracking.

Edited by Grain of Salt : yep

Map01 "Suns chasing"

Its like sunder' opening but way too tame, predictable visual and gameplay style and  a bfg thats not even accessible kills it.

Sucks, no rating.

Edited by Catpho : Wrong name lol

Map 01: "What was the name again?" UV

Ribbiks shows how garbage of a mapper he is in there (or maybe this was a danne map? I dunno). Predictable gameplay, shit visuals, obnoxious traps and probably the worst midi I've ever heard in my entire life. Also, a bfg that is just here for a tease? man, fuck this shit. -1000/10 because this doesn't even deserve 0. 

Please learn how to map next time. 

JOKES, I'm so bad I can't even get past the second room on UV. I suck therefore, I rate this map accordingly. (I suck/10) 

MAP01: Chasing Suns

doom851.png.0fe6cafed00d1e511491d89195d26184.png

Actually possibly my least favorite Sunlust map. Although the looks are still great and the gameplay is alright, I've just never found it that fun -- in contrast to other easyish Sunlust maps like map05, 06, 12... I feel like map01 is dangerous enough to kill you (especially if you're not giving it your full attention), but not dangerous enough to make deaths feel fun.

Didn't manage to grab that soulsphere this time round, sadly. It's probably easy with sr50, but with only sr40 it's quite tricky and eventually I just gave up.

I actually didn't notice the fake 3d stuff with the sky heights (which you can just see in the shot above) until it was pointed out to me. Without mouselook it's easy to miss, imo.

Stylistically this is a great map to lead off with, because it blends Danne's chunky orthogonal layouts with Ribbiks's autumnal Plutonia-inspired visuals.

MAP01 Chasing Suns

"Every breath you take, every move you make"

"Cause I've tried to work things out 
But a little mistake has slowed me down 
To find out what I'm chasing after"

"How could something so fair
Be so cruel
When this black sun revolved
Around you!"

"Heaven send hell away no one sings like you anymore"

"Into the light may you fall
Into the light may you follow