Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

[v2.0] The Adventures of Square: EPISODE 2: GALACTIC LUNACY

By the way, typing "map *" in console will pistol-start current level. Easier to type than e1a1.

Edited by m8f : grammar

I've been hooked on this all weekend doing UV saveless pistol starts. Grueling stuff for me, but it's so much fun! I love the MIDIs, I love the level design- everything's crafted to perfection, and it feels like a labor of love. Great job to everyone at BigBrik, I can't wait for what comes after the moon!

52 minutes ago, bioshockfan90 said:

I've been hooked on this all weekend doing UV saveless pistol starts. Grueling stuff for me, but it's so much fun! I love the MIDIs, I love the level design- everything's crafted to perfection, and it feels like a labor of love. Great job to everyone at BigBrik, I can't wait for what comes after the moon!

Episode 3: Square Hell

He gets to fight an Adventures of Square equivalent of the Cyberdemon and Icon of Sin.

Is there a credits section anywhere? I would like to know who worked on each map. I couldn't find one in the pk3

I can give a quick rundown of who started what - every map did have skill-balancing (by Matt), automap cleanup (Xaser) and minor edits here and there (me, Matt, etc.).

E1A1 - Matt Tropiano

E1A2 - James Paddock

E1A3 - Richard Frei

E1A4 - Walker Wright

E1A5 - Walker Wright and Xaser Acheron

E1A6 - Gus Knezevich and Xaser Acheron

E1A7 - James Paddock and Xaser Acheron

E1A8 - James Paddock and Xaser Acheron

E1A9 - Richard Frei, Conor Maddin and Xaser Acheron

E1A10 - James Paddock

E2A1 - Xaser Acheron and Matt Tropiano

E2A2 - Gus Knezevich, Richard Frei and Matt Tropiano

E2A3 - Matt Tropiano and Richard Frei

E2A4 - Richard Frei

E2A5 - Xaser Acheron and Matt Tropiano

E2A6 - James Paddock and Matt Tropiano

E2A7 - Matt Tropiano

E2A8 - Richard Frei

E2A9 - Richard Frei and Xaser Acheron

E2A10 - James Paddock and Xaser Acheron

E2A11 - Xaser Acheron and Matt Tropiano

E2A12 - Matt Tropiano

Matt Tropiano = MTrop

Richard Frei = Tarnsman

Gus Knezevich = Alfonzo

Walker Wright = Pavera

Conor Maddin = ClonedPickle

James Paddock = Jimmy

Xaser Acheron = Xaser Acheron

Edited by Jimmy

21 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

thank you! also- how are you supposed to reach the super secret unmarked area in e2a3? tried rocket jumping with a speed boost power-up many times in many angles but just couldn't reach it, with the natural arch in the way. 

35 minutes ago, Ponqo said:

thank you! also- how are you supposed to reach the super secret unmarked area in e2a3? tried rocket jumping with a speed boost power-up many times in many angles but just couldn't reach it, with the natural arch in the way. 

You'll need some assistance from angels. Maybe some kind of a sphere.

5 minutes ago, MTrop said:

You'll need some assistance from angels. Maybe some kind of a sphere.

oh damn, didn't even know there was one in that level! thought i would have found it since i found all the other secrets. feel a little stupid now... lol. also this game is sex. totally worth the wait.  WOTY

Bulleted list because I can't organize my thoughts into something coherent right now.

• Been playing both episodes in small doses over the past couple days and have been loving it. I'm currently somewhere in E2A4.
  • New E1A2 is neat.
  • At first I was a bit concerned about platforming (Doom engine platforming being what it is) but so far I've had no problems save for a couple jumps I've misjudged.
  • New enemies are cool. Hoping to see the strongman in a more interesting/hectic combat situation soon.
  • I'm pretty bad at finding secrets.
  • Overall, E2 is at least as good as E1 (not judging till I finish both) and I am looking forward to playing more whenever I have free time again.
Spoiler

This molten floor (E2A3) is a bit less hurty than I thought it would be. It may be intentional but I can't see why.

dKywR3n.png

Please help someone who's not very clever.  I know that the 'use' key picks up a crate but how does one drop the crate?  I've tried 'use' again as well as pretty much every other button on the controller!

To nip it in advance: Usually I'm a big proponent of paired actions (e.g. 'use' to pickup, 'use' to drop), but I noodled this for a while when implementing the crate pickups and there were a few reasons I ended up deciding this way was best:

• Players can press switches & open doors without dropping the crate (since we don't block the 'use' action while holding a crate).
  • Conversely, players won't accidentally press a switch or open a door while dropping a crate (which would happen if we made 'use' drop anyway).
  • Blocking the 'use' action in GZDoom ranges somewhere from "ultra-hacky" to "impossible" anyway.* :P

[*dunno if ZScript changes that any, but that didn't exist at the time.]

Thank you for the reply and explanation guys.  I'd tried 'fire' umpteen times but it didn't work for me.  I was obviously trying to put the crate down inside the wall and there was no reaction.  Turning perpendicular to the wall I was able to put the crate down.  Although, funnily enough, I accidentally pressed 'fire' twice and blew myself up the first time!

Perhaps adding 'fire to drop' could be added to the Help screen?

Anyway, this is really great work folks.  Cone-gratulations on a brilliant release.  ;)

Awesome work, one of the best Doom levelsets out there. 

Just so you know I think I found an unwanted shortcut in Butterforge (level 2). I couldn't for the life of me find my way to the purple key, but then I was able to jump off the stairs going out from the boxing area and up onto the cliffs where the purple key is. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250285222 = part 1. (E2A1-E2A6 plus first secret map)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250670178 = part 2. (E2A7-E2A10 plus second secret map)

Played this on the medium difficulty once again like in the last episode. Episode 2 was just fun from start to finish (apart from the bouncing jelly cubes bit), and I liked all the new additions in episode 2.

And after that cliffhanger, I'm looking forward to episode 3 whenever.....good job team Big Brik!

Hmmmm... now why doesn't the Strongman have a pun in his name? He just begs to be named "Circules".

Also, great new episode so far (although instant death pits are downright bulls**t if you'd rather like to play without saves). I can't quite figure out the new weapon (the magic wand), do the projectiles home in on enemies or what?

The Cresceptre's projectiles home in on targets (whatever shootable is in the crosshair), but only from a certain distance. It's powerful, but you'll need to aim accurately if you want to really deal lots of damage. It's pretty good in crowds when you're surrounded, too!

Thought I should point out that the bottom step of this stairway in E1A2 (at the final area) damages you as though you were standing in the slime.

Screenshot_Square_20180426_010057.png

On 4/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, JudgeDeadd said:

Hmmmm... now why doesn't the Strongman have a pun in his name? He just begs to be named "Circules".

Also, great new episode so far (although instant death pits are downright bulls**t if you'd rather like to play without saves). I can't quite figure out the new weapon (the magic wand), do the projectiles home in on enemies or what?

Circules Poirot? 

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercule_Poirot)

By the way -- that is a deliberate Adventures of Massmouth reference in "Wild Bleu Yonder", right? ("What a bunch of weird-lookin' trees...")

Two bits of exciting news from Bigbrik Games: we now have an official public Discord server for The Adventures of Square, and a Mapper's Development Kit has now been put together for Episodes 1 and 2 to make it easier for you to make your own maps!

Official Discord Server

Square Episode 1 & 2 MDK (Revision 1)

Do note that The Adventures of Square is a game currently in development, which means that things could be changing internally with each release. Keep in mind that our progress in development could break your mod or map. We accept no responsibility if this happens, but we'll do our best to inform people of major changes.

Thanks and happy mapping! See you on the Discord.

Edited by Jimmy

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Two bits of exciting news from Bigbrik Games: we now have an official public Discord server for The Adventures of Square, and a Mapper's Development Kit has now been put together for Episodes 1 and 2 to make easier for you to make your own maps!

Official Discord Server

Square Episode 1 & 2 MDK (Revision 1)

Do note that The Adventures of Square is a game currently in development, which means that things could be changing internally with each release. Keep in mind that our progress in development could break your mod or map. We accept no responsibility if this happens, but we'll do our best to inform people of major changes.

Thanks and happy mapping! See you on the Discord.

You just know someone's going to make an Adventures of Square version of Nuts.wad....

I can only imagine how slowly it would run.  We're talking slide show slow...

14 minutes ago, Master O said:

You just know someone's going to make an Adventures of Square version of Nuts.wad....

Or Adventures of Square version of Wool Ball levels, or Wool Ball version of The Adventures of Square levels.

1 minute ago, Apaul27 said:

Or Adventures of Square version of Wool Ball levels, or Wool Ball version of The Adventures of Square levels.

Adventures of Ancient Square Aliens with bizarro colors. 

1 hour ago, Master O said:

Doesn't that already happen with vanilla Doom on GZDoom?

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Doesn't that already happen with vanilla Doom on GZDoom?

Well, the last time I ran nuts.wad in Chocolate Doom it didn't lag, but the monsters were barely visible because it went pass the sprite limit .