Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro

M.T EREBUS V2.

Hello! I've been working on couple of wads but I managed to finish this one today! I've got a few more unfinished wads. I tested it on skulltag, chocolate doom and zandronum. In chocolate doom I had few visual bugs but in other engines it worked fine. You must type MAP E3M6 in console to play the map! Tell me if I missed something! http://www.mediafire.com/file/z95qlwccw585fc1/mterebus.wadScreenshot_Doom_20180401_205005.png.b25aa1bb0b200cd56017be86b1268dcb.png

I just got through playing this on Ultra Violence. Aesthetically wise the level is fine looks like it could be from 93. Gameplay could be improved though. Encounter wise I felt that you had just put large amount of demons in an area and called it good. The BFG and plasma rifle both present in this level in addition to the ample ammo for both trivialized all the encounters, including the mastermind and cyberdemon. This is mostly an issue since I feel that you wanted to make the level a little difficult by including both boss demons in addition to the swarm of other demons. Your level would have been more difficult had it not been for the excessive health items and ammo. For future levels I wouldn't have so many large ammo types appear on higher difficulties. Another thing of note is on my first play through I exited the level unintentionally because I wasn't expecting the action of opening the door to be the level exit. Clarifying that the door is the exit either through a sign or moving the exit behind the door and having the player go into a dark hall with an exit line in it would remedy this issue I have. That issue is subjective because other people might not have a problem with that but I personally don't care for. One thing that I really like about your level was that secret was obvious to those who pay attention to details but not too obvious to the point of being totally obvious.

By no means is this a bad level. My final thoughts would have me consider this to be an average or slightly above average level for the reasons stated above. Hiding the secret better and removing some of the things like the plasma rifle or BFG  in addition to lower the ammo count and health drops would make this level better. I'm not saying make all drops scarce but a balance is required. I can't really say where the balance is that is something you as a mapper must decide. 

16 hours ago, Classicgamer6 said:

Another thing of note is on my first play through I exited the level unintentionally because I wasn't expecting the action of opening the door to be the level exit. Clarifying that the door is the exit either through a sign or moving the exit behind the door and having the player go into a dark hall with an exit line in it would remedy this issue I have. That issue is subjective because other people might not have a problem with that but I personally don't care for.

I would tend to agree about this one issue. Most players have been conditioned that the exit is marked or obvious in some other way (a la the teleporter in E1M8 or holes in the floor through which you see sky in some of the Doom 2 hell levels). In fact, the conditioning is such that even if you put a exit sign over a door, the player would expect the exit to be a switch or something else on the other side of the door, but not that the door itself would be the exit switch.

How much of a bother this would be depends on the placement of the exit.

• Let's say you put the exit switch (in this case, the door) halfway through the level. There's still a lot left to play and your intention is that the player would go through the rest of the level (there would have to be a reason for this) and then backtrack. In this case, an unsuspecting player who triggered the exit before they had played the rest of level would probably be very irritated by it, and might even feel .
  • Let's say you put the exit switch (in this case, the door) at the far end of the room after you've already defeated the large swaths of enemies and both the cyberdemon and SMM. In this case, an unsuspecting player that triggered the exit probably wouldn't feel overly cheated because he/she had clearly played through the bulk of the level at the point, including the hardest encounters.

16 hours ago, Classicgamer6 said:

The BFG and plasma rifle both present in this level in addition to the ample ammo for both trivialized all the encounters, including the mastermind and cyberdemon.

I would suggest doing the following:

1. Remove the BFG. (You could keep it for ITYTD and HNTR, but, even then, it's probably overpowered.)
  2. Put the plasma rifle in a secret. (You could remove it entirely for UV and NM, and rely on those players using the RL to maximum effect.)
  3. Cut the ammo placement by a third or half for UV and NM.