Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: 50 Monsters

On 4/3/2018 at 3:41 PM, RjY said:

Pegleg, thank you. But I only have such a score because I've never been made to stop learning the maps in advance :).

An actor can learn his lines and be perfect in rehearsal, but if he always freezes up and stammers when in front of the audience, everyone will come away thinking he is a horrible actor.

How does this relate to Doom? Regardless of whether you learned the maps or not, you still had to perform when it counted. So, for that, you earned your spot.

Category 1. Died in MAP08 with 45/50 kills, with about 47 minutes of total recording time.  It's kinda underwhelming, since I could've survived that last monster ambush. But at least I was lucky enough to survive both bonus levels.

antares_Ironman_50m.zip

I've just played and survived MAP35. Category: Blind. These pseudo-cacodemons were startling at first, but their bark is worse than their bite.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/x2dbkrcdu8lws48/DWIronman21_JudgeDeadd-1.zip

And as a bonus, here's a first-exit demo of MAP33. I didn't save my actual Ironman attempt because it ended ignomiously after a handful of seconds with zero kills. (so just to be clear, this demo DOESN'T count as an Ironman entry.)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8hrnkpxl1xj3s7q/JudgeDeadd-50monstr-33fe.lmp

Died on map04, catagory 02 (i thoroughly remember map01, but forgot about every other map's gameplay encounters, only the theme and visuals of them) to weird Hell knight elevator scene O_o

What a mapset @AD_79! This one is like playing dragon's lair plus plutonia! Ive played a bit of 50 monsters with saves a while ago, and it was still comically sadistic :P (But level design was good and all)

Was hoping to get far, but playskills fail on me XD

dwironcatapr1750mons.zip

Edited by Catpho

So since this is based on how many levels you complete, I guess if you make it to map 15 you should go for the secret exit? Or can you play 31 and 32 after assuming you survived 1-30

23 minutes ago, Bdubzzz said:

So since this is based on how many levels you complete, I guess if you make it to map 15 you should go for the secret exit? Or can you play 31 and 32 after assuming you survived 1-30

Because maps 31 and 32 can be reached continuously, they must be done that way. You can skip them if you want but you'll rank below anyone who gets as far as you and also does them.

I believe the unironmanic allowance for maps 33 and 35 is only made because they are not reachable continuously, only by -warp.

Still, before if player A died on MAP17 and passed two secret maps, but got to MAP17 in 58:39, and player B died on MAP17 without going to secret maps in 55:39, player B would've been ranked higher. Does that mean by the rules for this month player A would've been ranked higher (assuming they have identical records in bonus maps)? 

10 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Still, before if player A died on MAP17 and passed two secret maps, but got to MAP17 in 58:39, and player B died on MAP17 without going to secret maps in 55:39, player B would've been ranked higher.

Really? Maybe the secret levels only matter if you survive the whole wad, then. Alternatively your given example (what was it from?) was simply a mistake in ranking that was never noticed and corrected. I don't know, it seems like an error to me, one guy did 16 maps faster than another guy did 18, the guy who did 18 should still rank higher.

Secret maps, as opposed to bonus maps ala map33 and map35, will continue to only be counted assuming the player survives the set. In this case—the first time we've featured a distinction in secret and bonus leves—this means surviving the main set (i.e. exiting map30) is what's required for the secret levels to be counted. As with vv/vv2 and endgame/endpoint, your run won't be shown on the leader board as "survived" unless you knock every level on the head, including the bonus ones.

Secret maps are intended to be a risk/reward choice. Opting to go that route and then carking it before you reach the end will cost time.

So dead on map05 - Killed by a spectre YET AGAIN!!!

I did not survive the bonus maps either so enjoy so laugh out loud fun from Mr Cannonfodder himself. :P

50moncb.zip

Should add this is category 2 - I played this when the wad was released.

Edited by cannonball

Map 06 with me doing the worst dodging ever to the cybie -_- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

All good until that stupid, horrible mistake.....

Played on GLB+, blind category. (Map 01 was familiar to me, the rest is all blind...just to clarify that point)

EDIT!!! I tried maps 33 and 35 just to see how it is and this was the result (it's included in zip)

Map 33 was a fail lol. I must clarify that I saw the start of the map to see how it is but I didn't took any action. And I never saw the map before nor watched any gameplay of the map. So idk which category will fall to that.

Map 35....I just yolo'd it and I cleared it. That was blind gameplay completely.

50monld85.zip

Edited by leodoom85

11 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Secret maps are intended to be a risk/reward choice. Opting to go that route and then carking it before you reach the end will cost time.

Oh right so the contradiction is actually deliberate, to create a trade-off. Thanks for the explanation. I never would have thought it was intentional - to me it just seemed illogical.

Hi all! Didn't think I'd be attempting this already. DEAD on MAP18, killed by my own sheer stupidity the cybruiser, who just happens to be the first thing you see there. Fair warning for anyone who gets as far: I imagine this map is going to be a massive hurdle, as it throws a ton at you, haha. Here's hoping someone will be able to conquer it, as well as the remainder of the set. 

Considering I'm the wad author and all, I kinda know the maps inside and out, even after all this time (aside from the bonus maps, which I didn't bother including demos of because I died very quickly). Them being this small helps to remember strategies and whatnot. What I don't remember is some parts being as harsh or at least as intimidating as they were! Should I create another large project like this in the future, I think it'll be designed with more consideration towards this style of play. As Catpho said previously, it is a little too "Dragon's Lair-y", and I'm less of a fan of that nowadays. Don't get me wrong though, this was still fun to record, and it definitely brought back memories. Thanks for picking this, Fonz, and best of luck to the rest of the Ironmen.

EDIT: Should probably mention that I recorded in PR+ 2.5.1.4.

ad-ironman-50mon.zip

Category 2.. I think I've seen a couple people stream this wad, some maps seemed familiar but otherwise.. was blind

dead on map 31 (wtf was this map) I had to go AFK during a bad spot, came back and forgot about revs behind me. Also I wasn't really trying to go for the secret maps, just seemed like a normal exit to me :\ but you cant see what map number your on so I didn't even know that was map 15. Funny this happened since I asked about the secret maps :p

Survived map 33 but doesn't seem to work with Boom when you exit? Don't know, got some error.

Dead on map 35

DubzIM50.zip

Category 2 I guess. After finishing all those UV -Fast runs, I pretty much forgot all of them after Map06. Died on Map11. (PrBoom+ 2.514, -cl 2)

GC-Ironman-50mon.zip

It's kind of funny that I overused my rockets, and I don't know how to deal with that Arch-vile without rockets. In other way, NaZa is a way better player than me ;P

Edited by GarrettChan

21 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

NaZa is a way better player than me ;P

Well thank you! However, I doubt I'd do UV-Fast and other runs as well as you :P

"Oh, what's that, pump action SG versus Arch-Vile in four walls? We-e-e-ell, witness me, I am awaited in Valhalla!"

Right after that ignominious death I'd remembered I had a rocket launcher. Meh...

Arch-Vile crimson kisses in few centimeters to cover is definitely my favourite style of doomguy extermination (see Warlock's Heart session for details). MAP05 with 30 clay pigeons of 50. Cat one -- I was playing for the green marine again.

There's also a lump for MAP35 -- survived and maxed after the main party. No MAP33 as there's nothing to show at all -- 30 seconds to mars Cybie saying "No, man, you really shouldn't go further, get some tea and have a rest" and pwning me at point-blank.

Aw-w (DWIron)gods, look at this level design and soundtrack (SC-55, I worship you)! And dat Resurgence-y blue color palette touch... I'll clearly UV-Max entire 50monstr in near future, really in love with it.

dwi50mon.zip

There will be usual 4K vids a bit later.

Edited by Vince Vega : Vei-i-i-i-ids

You'll find my runs attached below.

Spoiler

Main mapset : I died at map 27, cornered by Spectres, Hell Knights, and an Imp (!!). Was pretty pissed off to die like this, not to mention I had a fully-loaded Plasma Gun that I really should've equipped (as I usually do whenever I feel a trap incoming). Oh well, at that point anything could've happened and I remembered this map as being shock full of traps and dick moves (as are many maps in this wad anyway). Still, I was so close :(

Map 33 : Killed by a Revenant. Got careless, should've waited a bit more for those infights to happen.

Map 35 : Went pretty smoothly considering I missed the Invulnerability sphere like an utter moron.

I love these Overlord sprites.

These runs are category 2 for the main wad, and category 1 for maps 33 and 35 (didn't even know they existed back then). I've played 50 Monsters when it got released, and I've recently watched all of GarrettChan's UV -Fast runs of this wad on YouTube, so I knew what were the main events.

Along with Claustrophobia 1024, 1Monster and many others, 50 Monsters is a cool little megawad filled with short levels based on a particular gimmick - this time, every level must contain exactly 50 monsters, not counting Lost Souls, with only a couple exceptions. This idea may seem restrictive, but I think the maps remain fun and interesting all along, the monster restriction is never felt. AD_79 has managed to keep things fresh by using strategically-placed monsters and nasty ambushes here and there. The new DEHACKED monsters are also a nice addition and help to give the mapset its identity.

This wad also has a wide variety of cool visual themes, ranging from classic techbases and human-built structures to Valiant-ish natural landscapes, making for quite a colorful set of levels.

It's also interesting to see how AD_79 improved as a mapper and honed his skills throughout the set to directly tribute the authors he likes the most. One can understand why this wad has been called a Valiant ripoff upon release, as skillsaw's style has been closely emulated in most of the maps starting from episode 2 onwards, but other references are present (Back to Saturn X, Sunlust, Sunder, even Resurgence). It's fine by me, as I like skillsaw's maps as well. :)

Overall, it's well worth a play or two, although I'm not fond of every map (I avoided map 31 on purpose). Also, there's a lot of instances in which items (medikits and ammo boxes) are placed directly on the player's path (in front of a switch or in the middle of a corridor), and it's annoying trying to avoid them so that they don't get wasted - see my run here. In those modern mapsets in which resources are scarce and backpacks aren't available, it's particularly annoying. Oh well. Great stuff nonetheless.

50monstr-Ironman-WHdemos.zip

Damn, you were close! Very happy you made it that far though, I'll be sure to watch this one tonight :) Thanks for the commentary as well, it's always fun to read, though I should make one correction: lost souls are included in the 50 monster limit, to avoid the temptation of abusing them, haha. Unfortunately that makes it look like not every map follows the rules properly, as only ports like ZDoom count them. And yeah, I had (and still have, though I like to think I hide it a little better nowadays) quite a diverse bucket of influences to draw from, heh. Glad you noticed a lot of them.

@WH-Wilou84Oh god, very nice job for this 3 hours run! I only watched the last map for now, and didn't expect you died there since the last part is literally no where to hide. Map27~29 are some of the mean-est maps in the set in my opinion.

@AD_79Why you didn't talk to me when I was running your maps last year :'(  <-I'm just joking, really love this WAD :D

Edited by GarrettChan

6 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Thanks for the commentary as well, it's always fun to read, though I should make one correction: lost souls are included in the 50 monster limit, to avoid the temptation of abusing them, haha.

Oh, hehe, all right then !
It makes sense. Thanks.

I don't know if watching my playthrough will be enjoyable to you, as I played slowly and carefully and its surely not what you intended. There definitely were some intense moments though, such as the majority of map 11. :)

Another soul for the Twin Hellknights. That's what I call a difficulty spike, the wad was pretty chill until you get those two Hellknights thrown at your face while getting trapped in a cage.

ironman guineu 50monster.zip

Attempted map33 a few times, so I guess that makes my entry a Category 2 (edit: or Category 3?).

On map35 my PrBoom+ crashed after killing the boss Pain Elemental that fires Mancubus projectiles in my first attempt. Not sure if that was the end of the map. When trying to watch the demo also got an error, so no map35 for me.

2 minutes ago, guineu said:

On map35 my PrBoom+ crashed after killing the boss Pain Elemental that fires Mancubus projectiles in my first attempt. Not sure if that was the end of the map. When trying to watch the demo also got an error, so no map35 for me.

If it was the last monster of the map (and I presume it was), it's the end of the map indeed - there's no CWILV34 so the game cannot load the end screen. You've survived MAP35.

@NaZa yes the error message was something about "34". Doesn't matter, while messing around I overwrote the demo so I don't have any prove. No worries, I guess I could record map35 again but I'm fine just dropping map35 from my entry since it's optional.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hi chaps, did my stream of the main megawad the other day but forgot to do maps 33 & 35, which I just recorded demos of this afternoon:

Spoiler

Died on map 11 in the main mapset, beat both 33 and 35, definitely a category 3 run (I've played this mapset a whole bunch of times already). Kind of annoyed with the death in 11, as I felt like things could be smooth sailing until at least map 15, but ehhh, 12 maps total, I'll take that. As for map 33 I'd bashed my head against that enough times when the set was first released that I eventually realised all the means of cheesing it now. The spot where you have to run to the chaingun and the switch to release the Cyber is probably the map's hairiest moment, imo. 35 is a piece of piss if you know about the invul sphere.

On to you, John and Dragonfly. I might as well start polishing my BritBowl bowl already.

50mutt-demos.zip